The Four Lands - The Colony

Leif

Adventurer
Nightbreeze said:
[sblock=Leif] Leif, the cost of your equipment is around 57.000sp. I don't recall what the starting limit was, but I think it was around 61.000. So you would have 4000gp that get converted via special rule to 100.000sp, then add 250.000 from that puch and subtract 100.000sp for the title (unless you want to take a loan for it, and in that case you downpay only 10k). So you either have 250.000sp and no debts, or 340.000sp and 90.000 debts.[/sblock]
[sblock=Nightbreeze and JA]Cool! Hennett is quite allergic to debt, so he'll opt for the 250,000 sp free and clear. And, not being very financially-minded, Hennett would greatly appreciate it if Edarin would manage most of his money for him. If this is ok with Nightbreeze, Hennett will keep 20,000sp as "pocket money," and allow Edarin to invest/manage the remaining 230,000sp along with his own funds, and allowing Edarin to keep 25% of the income from the investment as a broker's commission. Does that sound fair and acceptable to everyone involved? Will Edarin take that deal? Does JA approve?[/sblock]

J. Alexander

First Post
Nightbreeze
[sblock]Gold shares indeed I like the name..So exactly how many gold shares are in existence now...and how much of a vote does it take to create more shares...this is additionaly information that is necessary as even the bank is not going to invest if you can dilute their stake at any given time....

And yes i know what you mean...sometime things take a life of their own but alas they are necessary and YOU are laying a really strong base for the company and getting it properly organized wich may mean great success for the colony.

You get a 30k silver penny break on the cost of the slaves.

Okay as i understand it you have created 1250 gold shares.
250 owned by the Brightlaw Banks
1000 owned by you with 15 percent of that or 150 pledged to the bank for your loan. That leaves you 850 shares.....

You need to rething the iron shares...I dont think most people would go for that and it could lead to huge problems with your Board of Directors...

Speaking of which how man people are going to be on the Board......etc..[/sblock]

For Nightbreeze and Leif
[sblock]Approved is that is the agreement bewteen you two[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
J. Alexander said:
For Nightbreeze and Leif
[sblock]Approved if that is the agreement bewteen you two[/sblock]
[sblock=JA]Well, then, I guess it is all up to Nightbreeze now! He has not said whether we have an agreement or not, as my last post was the first mention of the deal by anyone, because I just thought of it.[/sblock]

Nightbreeze

First Post
[sblock=JA]Erg...maybe I understood incorrectly, but I thought that the first 15% of the shares that they wanted was a collateral, storaged into their vaults...meaning that if I default on my loan (because the leverage from 400 to 960 is a loan to me, not to the company), they get at least 15% of the company. If they already have 15% of the voting power of the company, I am far less likely to sell them another 15%

As you say, they may not be interested to invest if I then expand the voting base. Thus, give me some more hour to think about it, I will post later. Let's consider the 250.000 deal for 15% of the company still not done.[/sblock]

Ederin agrees to the deal, and suggests Hennet, for now, to invest in the Nascent Company (as soon as he manages to come up with a decent system of share types). Because of the obvious conflict of interest, he doesn't feel like taking 25% of the income, thus he will settle for 10%. Of course then Hennet will participate in more than the Consultancy board.

[sblock=EDIT]
Ok, I thought about it a little while. So, I reformed the share system:

Golden shares: The owners of these shares are the first to get reimbursed if the company defaults, and whatever is left is used to reimburse owners of other kinds of shares. Furthermore, they have the right of a 10% dividend of the company profits each year, even if the company decides to not give dividends. (For example, if I own 10% of the total of shares and they are only golden shares, and the company has a profit of 1.000.000sp, I get 10% of 10% aka 10.000sp, even if the company decides to give only 5% dividend. If I had 10% of the total of shares, but they were Silver shares, I get only 10% of 5% aka 5000sp.

Silver Shares: The owners of these shares have no default or dividend privileges, but they have voting rights.

Thus, as for now there are 1000 silver shares for me, 200 silver shares for Hennet and 30 golden shares for Hennet. Before I settle the issues with Brightlaw, tell me if they meant the first 15% as collateral or as real voting power.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Randal Lucius Stormweaver

By my calculations Randal would have around 50 men in his employ and thus would need the following:

50 men x 100 days x 1 lb of flour = 5000 lbs of flour
50 men x 100 days x 1 lb of meat = 5000 lbs of meat

50 men x 100 days x 2 gallons = 10000 gallons of water (or good magical destilery :))
50 men x 100 days x 0,5 lb of fruit = 2500 lbs of fruit

These numbers should be added to whatever cost warship entails.

Books would be packed in watertight boxes, lined with impregnated cloth or leather. Each box would be attached to a barrel painted red.

Barrels would contain food, learning implements, sponges for chalk boards (I'm opening school after all :))

To shopping list add:

2 potions and 2 scrolls of water breathing; 2 potions and two scrolls of water walking;
Wand of create water
Wand of purify food/water? As we have enough priests this should be low priority

50 chalk boards
About 20 lbs of chalk
50 sponges

Learning implements (rulers, mensures, balances, magic school diagrams, elemental diagrams, plane diagrams, maps, star maps, astronomy models and such)

Abbout 50 masterwork instruments of various types along with notebooks, note stands, all with at least some spare wires and other parts

Other then this, ship would be packed to rafters with books, inks and spell components...

Lou

Explorer
Alton Kanri, Human Cloistered Cleric/Battle Sorcerer of the Light

[sblock=for JA]
Arrange to pay the 10000 sp for the debts while getting proof of payments and releases, and provide the 500 sp grub stake (each family or collectively?)

I want to purchase weapons and armor for the 10 families to protect themselves and the fowl. I will purchase the best that they know how to use.

Alton will send a message to the clerics of Mystra that he is seeking 10 clerics of levels 1-3 to follow him to a new settlement to establish a place with freer use of magic and acceptance of other races, all under the Light. Will be building a shire to Mystra. [Alton can use some followers, and their skills will be needed.]

I'm waiting for others to decide about the goats before I make the purchase. The fowl will keep me busy.
[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Hennettt, Ranger/Druid

Nightbreeze said:
Ederin agrees to the deal, and suggests Hennet, for now, to invest in the Nascent Company (as soon as he manages to come up with a decent system of share types). Because of the obvious conflict of interest, he doesn't feel like taking 25% of the income, thus he will settle for 10%. Of course then Hennet will participate in more than the Consultancy board.

[sblock=the share system]Ok, I thought about it a little while. So, I reformed the share system:

Golden shares: The owners of these shares are the first to get reimbursed if the company defaults, and whatever is left is used to reimburse owners of other kinds of shares. Furthermore, they have the right of a 10% dividend of the company each year, even if the company decides to not give dividends. (For example, if I own 10% of the total ofshares and they are only golden shares, and the company has a profit of 1.000.000sp, I get 10% of 10% aka 10.000sp, even if the company decides to give only 5% shares. If I had 10% of the total of shares, but they were Silver shares, I get only 10% of 5% aka 5000sp.

Silver Shares: The owners of these shares have no default or dividend privileges, but they have voting rights.

Thus, as for now there are 1000 silver shares for me, 200 silver shares for Hennet and 30 golden shares for Hennet. Before I settle the issues with Brightlaw, tell me if they meant the first 15% as collateral or as real voting power.[/sblock]
Excellent! Hennett accepts! :) Thank you for Edarin's generosity in just asking for a 10% commission. (I don't think that there is any doubt that he will EARN it! hehe) Does the company have an official name? Is it the company that is in control of the charter of our colony? Have you thought about expanding the reach of the company to include other colonies on other continents, to lessen the risk of failure of the company by not resting all hopes for success upon just one colony? Just something to think about..... (See how Hennett is making more work for Edarin already??) :)

Scotley

Hero
Nightbreeze--Alvar is definately interested in buying some silver shares and maybe just a few golden if he can get on the advisory board. I'll post some ideas a little later.

Nightbreeze

First Post
As for now, the company is called "Nascent Company for Development". It was founded by me, and will operate in the new continent that we are due to explore. As for now, the silver shares (those with voting rights) can be bought only be people who I know and trust, and you within that group, so Alvar, Hennet, Lucious and everyone else, you are invited to come aboard. Other people who may join us in the silver share owners' club are possibly the dukes of Sunbridge and Brightlaw.

You may find that the system of silver and golden shares is strange: well, I made all efforts to make the golden shares look more enticing. That is because we are all in for profit, but I know that nothing can go on for long with the short-term, profit-greedy mentality. Thus, I'd like that the real control of the company stays "in the family".

As soon as we get to our new land and have a look at the opportunities, we will have a better idea of the future, and I mean to restructure the company (mantaining the decision power in the silver share circle)m change the name, and open up the market for golden shares.

We will try to become the major economic power in the new colony, and act for both our and its benefit. At first, we will operate in the high-profitable business, like gold and silver extraction, spice gathering and exotic goods. However, we shall also operate in other industries: food and wood producing, iron mining and weapon and tool producing. I would like this company to become a true omnipresent power. Furthermore, we will try our best to bring as many people as possible to the colony, and make them work for us: this way, a major part of the electors of the council will be sympathetic to us, and this will strenghten the links between the Company and the Colony.

I will give you now a list on my expenses with the company's money so far:

1) Chartered for 6 month a fleet of 5 ship of the lines, each of them containing 1000 tons of cargo. This way we can ship all kind of goods, materials and people, as much as we can. As for now, we have plenty of space left. As we attract more investments, we will able to use it at maximum.

2) Bought 350 slaves, several artisans among them. When we get to the colony, these slaves will be freed, and will have to pay the debt of their value. That will bind them to us for several years, but we will give them plenty of opportunities to earn money: for example, a worker in the mine gets a certain percentage of what he extracts. This way, we encourage them them to work as much as possible. The other people will work the fields, guard the herds and so on.

3) Bought a war cargo (named it Hopeswind), which will serve as temporary ship of the colony.

4) Bought the materials necessary for the construction of 4 medium sized mines ex-novo, thus we have a headstart

5) With my own money, I got the service of a mercenary company.

With the Hennet's money I just invested, I (attention J.A :)) will buy 6000 goats (four times what Alton wanted to buy) and the food necessary to feed. If memory serves me right, that would be 140.000sp. Add some nice dog-shepards and this price goes up to 150.000sp.

[sblock=For all]
AAaaaaargh, I am starting to go nuts. From now on, I will keep this in everypost, as a detailed list of what the company has done, for my and JA's ease. Thus:

Golden shares: 30 (30 Hennet)
Silver shares: 1200 (1000 Ederin, 200 Hennet)
Total company capital so far: 1.230.000

Charter for the trading fleet: 200.000
Slaves: 320.000
War cargo: 75.000
4 medium sized mines material: 120.000
Wheat and fresh water: 200.000 (JA. I want to buy food for one a half year for 600 people. Whatever advances, goes into seeds, please tell me how much)
4 herds of goats + shepard dogs: 150.000

Total amount of capital invested so far: 1.075.000sp

Total amount of capital still not invested: 155.000sp[/sblock]

Whoever of you is interested, you are welocome to invest in golden shares, or in silver shares (and thus acquire the title of senior investor), if you wish. Just tell me how much do you invest, and I will have the certificates delivered to you.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
OOC for Nightbreeze

Why did you put some of Hennett's money into silver shares and some into golden, but all of your money into golden shares only? Wouldn't it be better for Hennett to have all golden shares, too?

Remove ads