The Four Lands - The Colony

Lou

Explorer
Alton Kanri, Human Cloistered Cleric/Battle Sorcerer of the Light

Lou said:
OOC: It looks like 1500 goats should feed about 220 people a pound of goat meat a day indefinitely, until they are sick of goat meat. The goats will also graze over roughly 250 acres.

Milk and meat goat varieites weigh 100-300 pounds as adults, so shipping may be a problem for a herd of 1500 goats. Just mature goats (just over 1 yr) only need 1/3 lb of grain a day until pregnant, and does will kid in yr 2 (some in yr 1). Bucks only need 1 lb/day, while breeding does need just over 2 lbs a day on average for milk production...

44 breeding bucks, 62 established breeding does, 93 kids, 1301 yearling (mature) does (1500 goats) with 90 days of grain will take roughly 97 tons (70 goats/27 grain) to ship.

Goats were easy...and they eat everything but egg shells.

JA-How much would a hardy breed of goats: 44 breeding bucks, 62 established breeding does, 93 kids, 1301 yearling does (1500 goats) with 180 days of grain, taking roughly 124 tons (70 goats/54 grain) to ship, and the grain cost? At this time of year, the does should be pregnant.

Hennett and Ederin and all: "Who is buying and being responsible for the goats? Hennett? I can buy them as an investment in Ederin's company if that's the way to do it. Cows and goats will graze the same range, with an effective +25% meat production. Count 2 goats per acre instead of 6. We should consider a herd of cattle for that reason. Who wants to be the cattle baron? Who is taking care of our security detail, weapons and armor?"

[sblock=for JA]
How much to pay off the debts? How much for the grub stakes?
How much to buy simple weapons and armor for the group?

Please update the archive on wiki, it's easier to search for information than enWorld.
[/sblock]

Running tally of goods and supplies for Alton:
1800 chickens, 1800 ducks, 1800 geese, 1800 turkeys, supplies and food for a year--5 tons

J. Alexander

First Post
Shopping

Nightbreeze
[sblock]Yeah i am a naval fanatic in many respects so know a lot of useful information about nautical settings but it also hurts the players :)...Navies and Ships are expensive to build...even more expensive to equip and run.......something that is kinda overlooked in D&D i think.....

Now most sailing vessels will have some sort of defensive and offensive ability....so a ship can be found easily for that....she is a 120 ton vessel some 80 feet long 25 feet wide and is a two master. She has 75 tons of cargo capicity and mounts one catapult forward and two on both the port and starboard sides.

Bulk food should not be that expensive...so you should have enought money combined to lay in a lot....the way i set it up you guys will have just enough money to become the dominate player in a particular area but not enough for one character to dominate the coloy...You have focused on mining.....and have a huge jumpstart on everybody. You may have to be a little dependent on other pc's for food stuff but that just makes working together more important..no one can stand alone :)...

Just run the spell by me and we shall see...[/sblock]

J. Alexander

First Post
Shopping

Louis
The goats and feed will run you 35k silver pennies this time of year.
[sblock]The familes need 10k silver pennies to clear up all debits...another 500 silver pennies will give them a respectable grub stake...Depends on how many your wanting to arm and the types of weapons and armor...[/sblock]

Nightbreeze

First Post
[sblock=JA]
Oh, well, I realize that ships cost much. One of the main reasons for the Dutch naval supremacy was the fact that they constructed ships by pooling money. Infact I accepted to pay it, hoping that I can sell the idea of the company to the captain of those 5 ships, they would represent his investment. Lets just hope that we can fill all that space...as for now, it seems to me that we have cargo excess.

I have no problem in depending on the colony for anything, infact I will heavily depend on them on several issues (food, clothes, builings and so on). However keep in mind that I am really set to make this company a colossus, so I would prefer if they joined the it too: this way we have more shared interests and concerns, and I will have no concern of expanding, as they would share the benefits).

If you say that my estimate of the food is too high, what do you say about this: Food for 1 year for 500 people plus fresh water for the voyage (ok, I admit that the fresh water costs almost nothink, aside for the barrels). How much would it cost? If there are moneys left I could invest them with the others for fishing nets and seeds.

One of the spells in question is Bottle of smoke: essentially it is a ling duration flying horse for anyone whom I give the bottle (50sp focus), but it gets dispelled in case of a strong wind, so it is not really save to fly with it. It can be used as a way to give low level scouts amazing travel capabilities...if there is no menace of strong winds. For example, it could be used to keep a scout 1000ft above the fleet, so that he spots any ship in advance thanks to his farther horizon line.[/sblock]

I already have many issues on my mind, so I would prefer if Hennet takes control over our food production. I would assist as much as you ask me to, of course. So, to sum up, we are setting up for three major sources of food: fish, with the fishing nets, wheat with the fast varieties at first and we will see what later, and meat with goats and such. Seems pretty good to me. We may even find some local variety of crops. Contrary to what I said a little while, I may have some more money to invest...I am not sure. If that is the case, I will help with the wheat. Besides, many of my workers will work in the agricultural field, at least a hundred.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Randa lLucius Stormweaver

I'll be happy to invest in your company and let you choose trading caravel and warship. However, my trade is information and you should be aware that this one ship will transport books and not something useful as goats.

I can invest around 350 000 total half of which I believe will go to spell components for me, Seraphina and clerics; additional 100 000 will go for the library. Spell components will get cut if I need more money for somehting else, clerical components first unless somebody else pitches in.

OOC: I made calculations for 50 men for 3 months on the sea. Food at the colony is Hennets area of expertise.

OOC2: more details tomorrow, good night
OOC3: JA, did I get any response for sendings (Randal checked which ports will be used by sending to young lord)
OOC4: I calculated for 50 men because Randal has about 45 followers from Leadership. I assume this woudl be good time to fill those slots...and thus, various exotic and common classes of low level adventurers would come at the opportunity. As for contacting local guild that's Seraphina's job. She is NPC and thus you decide how effective she is...

Nightbreeze

First Post
Thus you may invest up to 75.000sp in a ship. For exactly the same price I was able to find a 120 ton vessel some 80 feet long 25 feet wide, a two master. She has 75 tons of cargo capacity and mounts one catapult forward and two on both the port and starboard sides. A perfect combination of trading capacity and defensive potential. If you are willing, I will take your money, buy the ship and give you 75 "iron" shares that, combined, give you total control on that ship, even if all other shareholders with voting rights disagree. Basically, for you it is the same, while the company gets the opportunity to leverage your capital into a loan, and takes the effort to pay the interests. How would you like to name her?

By the way, J.A. , I was waiting for that "bulk purchase slave discount" :D

Last edited:

J. Alexander

First Post
Shopping

Nightbreeze
[sblock]While your out shopping, you get a leter on bank letterhead. They are willing to advance you another 250k silver pennies for 15 percent of the voting stock of the company. This is in addition to the 15 percet of your personal shares that you have pledged for the loan. They are talking about Class A voting shares which would give them a true voice in the company.

In regards to the fleet Captain you would be asking him to invest a little over one millinon silver pennies (the value of his ships) and equipment...that would give him a huge say in the company......

And not to be an pain..but no one is going to invest until you get the types of shares their number and what they control in the company organized.[/sblock]

Neurotic
no response so far...such things take time
Come up wit the type of people you want and I wills ay yes or no or give you a cost...
Sure you want to send her to look for the thieves guils all by here lonesome

Nightbreeze

First Post
[sblock=JA]
no one is going to invest until you get the types of shares their number and what they control in the company organized
Really true, JA, but I have to say that I didn't mean to allow other entries in the company so soon. However, here is an outline for the Nascent company (it will be, at some point in the future, completely reorganized and transformed into a more complex organization).

Golden shares: True shares, with voting rights. Like the shares that I possess and the shares that the bank wants. They cannot be traded without the explicit consent of the Nascent Company, and all of them are dated with the date of their creation, if they were never traded, or with the date of their latest exchange. This may come useful in future, if I ever want to introduce a seniority system of some sort, but as for now, it has no relevance.

Silver shares: Shares with no voting right, but in the case of default, they get paid before any other shareholder with what can be extracted by selling the company assets.

Iron shares: this is a special instrument that allows the company to increase it's capital. Basically, someone gives the company x000 sp for an asset he wants, the company takes them, leverages them and uses x000 to buy the asset. They give the client x iron shares connected to that asset that give him total control over it, and keep the leveraged capital (and related due interests) for their purposes.

I still have to come up with a proper mechanism to protect my right to direct the company, so for now I don't really want to give up decison power. However, I will make an exception for them and accept their payment. I take another 40.000sp from my account and create 40 golden shares, bringing the total of share up to 1000. Then I create another 250 shares and give them to the Brightlaw bank in exchange for their 250ksp payment. I advise them that as for now, they hold more decision power then they asked (20% instead of 15%), but both their and my decision power are going down if someone else enters the deal. However, only trusted parties can do it, and for now the only possible candidate is grandduke Sunbridge. I also suggest that I am not really interest in the profits of this company, but I am quite attached to its control. I will have to prove my skills, so that they invest entrusting me with the voting power, while they take the major part of the profits.

I also ask them to send me a representative of theirs, so that he supervises my activities, in order to keep them informed, and gives me consultancy. Also, I am not going to make a clear and formalized structure for the company as long as I am capable to manage it together with the other senior investors and some major associates. I is "family business" for now :D

Ah, I edited my previous post while you were writing the response, so proably you didn't spot the addition.

Hmm...so I have another 250.000sp to play with...I will probably buy some food-producer with it, but I'll have to think about it first[/sblock]

Gentleman, especially Hennet and Randal, as I know that you are most probably going to be interested, may I ask you if you would consider to be in the consultancy board of the Nascent Company for Development? Even if you are not direct investors, I would warmy welcome your skills, and of course there is a pay for a member of the consultancy board...probably not as big as your other incomes, but I can't ask you to do it for free, of course. I am still working on the major outlines of structure, but the consultancy board will be an important part: it will overlap with some parts of the senior investors group as well as the executive board, but will also include people with great skill that are not tied to the company in other ways, and I dare say that as long as the majority of the shares are mine, I will trust your decisions far more than those of petty rich nobles.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Hennett, Ranger/Druid

Lou said:
[sblock=Hennett and Ederin and all] "Who is buying and being responsible for the goats? Hennett? I can buy them as an investment in Ederin's company if that's the way to do it. Cows and goats will graze the same range, with an effective +25% meat production. Count 2 goats per acre instead of 6. We should consider a herd of cattle for that reason. Who wants to be the cattle baron? Who is taking care of our security detail, weapons and armor?"
[/sblock]
Nightbreeze said:
so I would prefer if Hennet takes control over our food production
Neurotic said:
Food at the colony is Hennets area of expertise
"Unfortunately, I am, as far as I know," (<--hint to JA) "unable to contribute a significant amount of funds to our venture. However, several have observed that my druidic expertise will be very useful after we arrive at our destination both for establishing and directing our agricultural production, and for seeing to its develolpment into a self-sustaining source of food for the colony. While I feel that my contribution to the collective effort is somewhat lacking, I am very happy to contribute all of the expertise that I have available to see that our efforts to not fall short due to hunger." OOC: This may well take much of my time, effort, and expertise during our first year, or, we may have an easier time than my fears would indicate. Still, I plan to devote much of my time (probably the majority of it) to this during that first crucial year.

[sblock=JA]I may have misunderstood the amount of funds available to Hennett, so please correct me if I have misstated something.[/sblock]

Nightbreeze said:
Gentleman, especially Hennet and Randal, as I know that you are most probably going to be interested, may I ask you if you would consider to be in the consultancy board of the Nascent Company for Development? Even if you are not direct investors, I would warmy welcome your skills, and of course there is a pay for a member of the consultancy board.
Of course you can count on Hennett's participation in the Consultancy Board!

Last edited:

Nightbreeze

First Post
[sblock=Leif] Leif, the cost of your equipment is around 57.000sp. I don't recall what the starting limit was, but I think it was around 61.000. So you would have 4000gp that get converted via special rule to 100.000sp, then add 250.000 from that puch and subtract 100.000sp for the title (unless you want to take a loan for it, and in that case you downpay only 10k). So you either have 250.000sp and no debts, or 340.000sp and 90.000 debts.[/sblock]

Remove ads