• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "Functional Support" Model

Which would you prefer?

• The current 4e model (all 30 levels at once, fewer options per book)

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • The "Functional Support" model (all the options at once, fewer levels per book)

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • I NEED tacos! I need them or I will explode! That happens to me sometimes!

Votes: 6 9.0%

Benimoto

First Post
I think I'd be pretty okay with either model, but I have a slight preference for the current way. While you say that the problem with the current model is that people who want to play with frost giants have to buy another book, assuming that frost giants are level 11+, then that's still the case with your model. A D&D that only covered levels 1-10 wouldn't have many giants, beholders, mind flayers, or a lot of the other monsters that makes it D&D.

Plus, as Umbran says, to revise the system as heavily as 4th edition did, it would be wise to have the full level progression plotted out. And, to spend all that development time and then have to wait for 1-2 years to see a return might be a difficult decision for even a large company like WoTC.

I should make it pretty clear that this isn't really "my" model per se. I'm not going to claim ownership of it, or encouragement of it. :) I just think it was an interesting alternative, and kind of wanted to hear what others thought about it. I do think it's a little bizarre that we have 30 levels of design when most groups don't use all of them, but I'm not sure if breaking them up is a good idea (I'd just prefer condensing them, probably).
I find that "functional" model interesting.
My thoughts:

It might be a danger if the designers don't work themselves through all the levels of a class before finalizing it. (And I think this distribution model only works if the designers can "stop" at level 10 for their release, since for economic reasons, they must finish their R&D phase in the same time as in the current model)
And you can't really benefit from "extra testing" of that tier, either, since you need to create all that extra classes.

What about

How "functional" is it really? You might have more classes or more powers/feats/special abilities per class, but will there ever be enough? In the end, you will still want more classes - and then you have to wait 3 books till you have all 30 levels? What if you start at a higher level then 10?
Are extra levels as good as a motivator to buy a supplement/core rule expansion as entirely new classes?

Maybe a hybrid might be an option - start with 12 classes of level 1-15 (with a little more breadth per level maybe, as 8 x 3 = 240 levels; 12*15 = 180 levels). In the second Core Book, expand these levels to 30. In later books, always go from levels 1-30 (but with less classes). Maybe already the second book can do this (maybe just adding 2 extra classes. I assume you don't need to repeat the entirely PHB I combat chapter, for example, so you have some spare place.)

I think I'd be pretty okay with either model, but I have a slight preference for the current way. While you say that the problem with the current model is that people who want to play with frost giants have to buy another book, assuming that frost giants are level 11+, then that's still the case with your model. A D&D that only covered levels 1-10 wouldn't have many giants, beholders, mind flayers, or a lot of the other monsters that makes it D&D.
That's a good point - a lot of the iconic stuff will simply be missing since it's in the wrong level range.
(And I find Beholder or Mind Flayer far more iconic then Frost Giants, because... well. A frost giant is just a large humanoid, I could see that in any fantasy related game and feel not reminded of D&D. But a Mind Flayer - it's a psychic vampire, instead of sucking your blood, it sucks your brain, and a Beholder is an entirely bizarre creature! They are definitely D&D - even if you transposed them to a different game system. They would stand out as something that you'd find in D&D)

delericho

Legend
If D&D is going to continue with the three-core-book model, then I prefer the current arrangement (fewer options to max level).

I do wonder if they wouldn't do better to switch to a one-core-book model covering fewer races, fewer classes, and half the level range. Presumably, WotC considered that possibility and rejected it, though.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I would much prefer the current model. As it stands, I can purchase three books and play from 1st - 30th level, I can run games, I have a large selection of monsters and I have enough insight into the game to be able to homebrew off it. Anything that comes out after that is my choice to purchase.

Under the alternative model, should I wish to play D&D beyond 10th level (and given that in D&D, levelling beyond 10th has been an automatic and expected part of the game from the very start) I would need to purchase additional books. It would make the game more expensive for those that wish to continue to play, it would lead to a lot of homebrewing (would the Heroic Tier MM have monsters over 10th level, to provide a range of challenges to 10th level characters, for example? If not, they'll need to be made up) and it wouldn't work for me at all.

I also echo the potential problems regarding sudden shifts in character when the new book comes out, and problems with systems that aren't tested as a whole before release.

Yup, I wouldn't like this alternative method of production.

vagabundo

Adventurer
I need tacos :.-( Sadly 4E offered a burger and fries.

I hate tacos, hate them. Burger and chips*, yum yum.

Note: Proper burger, not McCrap and real chips, not reconstituted corn starch, actual potatoes and nice and chunky, with tons of red sauce and vinegar... ... hmmm...

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
It's nice to have full disclosure on what you're playing so you can make informed choices. Classes and such can change over levels, so not having much look ahead ability could be a big problem. Imagine the reactions of people if they never saw paragon or Epic feats before hitting level 11. "I need an ability score of WHAT to use the feat for my class/weapon/whatever."

Also, not having rules for high levels early on is likely to lead to problems later. A system that works pretty well at 1-10 might not work so well later on. So trying to scale up an entire rules system without a whole lot of work beforehand might be a terrible idea. It seems like you're to walk into the 'breaks at level X' problem.
This sums it up pretty well. Even if the game isn't 'complete' in the sense that certain classes or monsters are missing, you get a complete overview of the game. And this is the more important thing.

I'd argue that between the PHB1, MM1, and DMG1 you don't get enough material to play a decent epic-level campaign. But all of the basics are there. It's easy to fill in the few gaps with later supplements.

Remove ads