Level Up (A5E) The future of A5e Prestige Classes

dave2008

Legend
What I would like to see, for things that might get a prestige class, is instead a couple of manuvers, equipment, spells and feats, all thematically linked to the topic being covered, so that I can select things that make my character more like the topic, without it overriding aspects of core classes. So if I'm making an adventuring entomologist or whatever, then maybe I can get some bug-catching equipment, a feat that gives me +1 to a stat and a range of bug-related abilities, and a locate bug spell, or a maneuver that allows swiping tiny sized creatures from the air and into a cage.
I like this idea as well. It reminds me of themes from 4e.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
To me, prestige classes are an overcomplication. They work rules-wise, but in a complex system, I think it is better to remove any rules that incrementally increase character types instead of exponentially increasing them. I have never come across a character concept that I can't create using 1-2 standard classes, plus background and flavour.

What I would like to see, for things that might get a prestige class, is instead a couple of manuvers, equipment, spells and feats, all thematically linked to the topic being covered, so that I can select things that make my character more like the topic, without it overriding aspects of core classes. So if I'm making an adventuring entomologist or whatever, then maybe I can get some bug-catching equipment, a feat that gives me +1 to a stat and a range of bug-related abilities, and a locate bug spell, or a maneuver that allows swiping tiny sized creatures from the air and into a cage.
To toot my own horn a little bit here: have you seen the Thematic Toolkit releases I put out every month? You've virtually described the product line with that paragraph, though I tend to do it with thematically-compatible archetypes and synergy feat chains. Link to my company page on DTRPG; Thematic Toolkit releases are the ones with B&W art. Pay particular attention to Venomous Shadow; that has a whole new combat tradition tied to its theme (and the stand-alone Confidence Mage and Arcane Sniper releases also plug into that nicely; Arcane Sniper is almost exactly what you described; an archetype, a bunch of supporting spells, and a few useful items).

zen_cat

Explorer
To toot my own horn a little bit here: have you seen the Thematic Toolkit releases I put out every month? You've virtually described the product line with that paragraph, though I tend to do it with thematically-compatible archetypes and synergy feat chains. Link to my company page on DTRPG; Thematic Toolkit releases are the ones with B&W art. Pay particular attention to Venomous Shadow; that has a whole new combat tradition tied to its theme (and the stand-alone Confidence Mage and Arcane Sniper releases also plug into that nicely; Arcane Sniper is almost exactly what you described; an archetype, a bunch of supporting spells, and a few useful items).
I'll take a look.

Mechanically delayed narrative
This is a fair point. Multiclassing into a synergy feat does have a certain rocky feel to it, probably because you're already sacrificing class abilities before you've even spent a feat. I was really interested in synergy feats when i first saw them, but now that I'm running a campaign that starts at level one and one of my players decided to tri-class warlock adept rogue.

It's been interesting, especially in seeing the early-level redundancies that turn some of his levels into dead ones. He's the most competent character creator in the party though and by that grace he hasn't fallen behind the others in terms of power, at least in terms of the efficiency He's been getting out of going Calculated Retribution into Arcane Riposte as a third levdl warlock. I look forward to level 10 when he finally takes level 4 in a class and gets his first feat, and whether or not he can keep the character ahead of the others throughout

Eubani

Legend
How about using a prestige class to extend an existing sub class. This enables to focus the character more on the sub class which is what some have been asking for.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
How about using a prestige class to extend an existing sub class. This enables to focus the character more on the sub class which is what some have been asking for.
I -think- every Archetype reaches at least level 14 for its final ability which would mean a 6 level prestige class for levels 15-20...

But using Archetypes as a basis for prestige classes could be nifty, if a bit limiting. As it stands, Prestige Classes are for characters who achieve X level in Y class and W level in Z class or gains X, Y, Z class abilities.

That tends to be fairly limiting to character availability, but narrowing it down further to "You must be X class and Y Archetype to qualify for this prestige class" narrows it's function down even more dramatically.

Remove ads