D&D (2024) "The Future of D&D" (New Core Books in 2024!)

The online D&D Celebration event, which has been running all weekend, comes to a close with The Future of D&D, a panel featuring WotC's Ray Winninger, Liz Schuh, Chris Perkins, and Jeremy Crawford, hosted by Elle Osili-Wood.

banner.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.08.42 AM.png

D&D is exploring the multiverse
Revisiting classic settings. 1st of 3 settings (Ravenloft) released this year. Next year, the other two major classic D&D settings come out. Both in formats they've never published products before.

Plus a "little peek" at a third classic D&D setting - a cameo.

In 2023, yet another classic setting is coming out.

Evolving D&D
Because of new players, they're always listening. Exploring new styles of play (like no combat needed in Wild Beyond the Witchlight). Also presentation of monsters and spells. New product formats. More adventure anthologies.

Making products easier to use. Ways to create the best experience. Experimenting and looking into technology.

Approaches to Design
Wild Beyond the Witchlight has interior design and tools to make running the adventure easier. Story tracker, guidance.

Beyond the books, they want to make different and varied products - packaging and form factor. Things different to hardcovers and boxed sets.

A blog post is coming soon detailing some of the changes, with more to come in future posts.

50th Anniversary in 2024
They've begun work on new versions of the core rulebooks. Recent surveys tie into that. They're still making plans, but expect more surveys. More will be said next year.

They will be completely compatible!

New experiences in the digital arena.

January Gift Set
Rules Expansion Gift Set -- Xanathar, Tasha, and a new book: Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse. All in a slipcase. Was intended for the Holidays, but global production issues mean January instead. There's also an alternate cover version.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.44.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.44.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.45.36 PM.png

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse
A treasure trove of creature related material from previous products compiled into one book and updated.

Opportunity to update material with a feel for how the 50th Anniversary books will be.

Improvements based on feedback, rebalancing, new and old art.

Over 250 monsters, and 30 playable races. All of the setting agnostic races that have been published outside the Player's Handbook.

Some content from Witchlight, Fizban's, and Strixhaven was influenced by Mordenkainen's.

Available first in the gift set, but separately later in the year.

Monsters alphabetized throughout rather than using subsections.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.52.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.53.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.55.32 PM.png

Stat block changes --

Spellcasting trait is gone. Spellcasting action, slimmed down. Spellcasting monsters need less prep.

Spell slots are gone for NPCs. Regular actions that would have once been spells.

It was too easy for a DM to use spells which result in the monster having a too low effective CR.

Monsters can be friends or foes, and some magic will help rather than hinder PCs.

Where are we going?
More adventure anthologies. Another classic setting fairly soon.

Two all-new settings. Completely new. In development stage, an 'exploration' phase, testing the viability of them. They might not see the light of day.

Retooling nostalgia and blending it with new concepts. A blend of things that you know, and things that they have never done before.

In the short term -- more news next month about a new product for 2022 which goes into a new scary place we've never been before.

Boo the miniature giant space hamster
Below is an sketch from Hydro74's alt cover, which features Boo the miniature giant space hamster.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.06.19 AM.png

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
How real world archetypes are and should be treated in the game is a good discussion to be had. Not one to be dismissed by whataboutisms and ignored.

I think it's fair that if we are reexamining if a sub/class that has a certain cultural name or trope is harmful to that culture, ALL of them should be on the table. Druids and paladins have evolved past their cultural past? Then perhaps it's time to rename or reexamine those classes. Neither of those terms, to the best of my knowledge, has lost its cultural origin like "barbarian" or "assassin" has. Maybe it's time to rename and reinvent bards, druids, monks, samurai, paladins, cavalier, kensi, warlocks, and other class names with cultural baggage.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I think it's fair that if we are reexamining if a sub/class that has a certain cultural name or trope is harmful to that culture, ALL of them should be on the table. Druids and paladins have evolved past their cultural past? Then perhaps it's time to rename or reexamine those classes. Neither of those terms, to the best of my knowledge, has lost its cultural origin like "barbarian" or "assassin" has. Maybe it's time to rename and reinvent bards, druids, monks, samurai, paladins, cavalier, kensi, warlocks, and other class names with cultural baggage.

Maybe! I do think that Bard, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Cavalier, and Warlock are terms that have adopted other meanings over time. Kensei and Samurai are very specific terms that really shouldn't have been used in the game, though.

And Barbarian is actually one of the worse offenders; it's still a derogatory term that doesn't at all describe what the class does or is. I'm sure that more than a few Imaziɣen would find this class name offensive to this day, similar to how the Romany have found Vistani as extremely offensive depictions.

This does not mean we don't include fantasy approximations of real world cultures or in other ways celebrate those cultures. Vistani don't have to go away. Barbarians don't have to go away. Heck, Kara-Tur doesn't have to stop existing in the Realms. It's the WAY these tropes are utilised, that we don't reduce them down to stereotypes, that we LISTEN to the concerns of the people who come from said cultures, that we put their stories front and center rather than forcing orientalist fantasy cliches written by old white men into the spotlight to capitalize on the fandoms of Japanophiles (admittedly, including yours truly).

I won't deny that I have copies of the 1e and 3e Oriental Adventures. These books are horribly offensive and were wrong then and are wrong now. But there IS a draw to the fiction and genre, and when I was young and stupid I thought these books could help me capture some of that flavour I enjoyed. And at our home games you have the space to explore tropes and cliches that you may find fun while others might find it offensive. That's for YOUR table to figure out what you all feel comfortable with.

MY issue is rather with publicly sanctioned culturally-insensitive stereotypes published in books, making it seem like if you want to play a Samurai character, you have to BE as Samurai Fighter. Or if you use the Samurai Fighter subclass, then you're automatically a Japanese noble-warrior, not a Dhakaani Hobgoblin or Elvish Blademaster, complete with all the anime puns and Weeaboo-Weeaboo shaming and snickering.

And as I said before, I have little issue with the Samurai subclass mechanics. My solution as originally posed - that seemingly derailed the thread, I'm sorry everyone - was that if we move Maneuvers into a dial that all Fighters can access without a feat or fighting style, and no longer have two Fighter subclasses are are completely generic but with completely different mechanics, then the name Battle Master can be moved over to take on the Samurai subclass features. It doesn't need to be called a Knight. Battle Master captures the idea that Samurai is trying to talk about, too, without pigeonholing into a single culture.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I think it's fair that if we are reexamining if a sub/class that has a certain cultural name or trope is harmful to that culture,
Who ever said "harmful to that culture"? Certainly not me. I just think that it's bad design to have such a big disparity between classes for how they and their historical roots are treated.
ALL of them should be on the table.
I never said that any of them are above scrutiny. I think that anything in D&D that has the potential to be harmful towards a culture or people should be scrutinized and sensitively designed. Just because we're talking about one thing (Monks and Samurai and their ties to their inspiration from East Asian Martial Artists), doesn't mean that we're ignoring other things.
Druids and paladins have evolved past their cultural past? Then perhaps it's time to rename or reexamine those classes. Neither of those terms, to the best of my knowledge, has lost its cultural origin like "barbarian" or "assassin" has.
Fine. Rename the Druid to "Shaman" if that's better (I don't know if it is, just giving a suggestion). Rename the Paladin to "Knight" or "Oathsworn" or something like that. I honestly don't care. These are just red herrings to distract away from the topic of discussion. Who cares? If the names are too tied to their European ancestry for the modern class, change the name.
Maybe it's time to rename and reinvent bards, druids, monks, samurai, paladins, cavalier, kensi, warlocks, and other class names with cultural baggage.
Again, this is a red herring. Either discuss the thing we're discussing, or don't. Just don't try to distract from it with whataboutisms and other red herrings.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Who ever said "harmful to that culture"? Certainly not me. I just think that it's bad design to have such a big disparity between classes for how they and their historical roots are treated.

I never said that any of them are above scrutiny. I think that anything in D&D that has the potential to be harmful towards a culture or people should be scrutinized and sensitively designed. Just because we're talking about one thing (Monks and Samurai and their ties to their inspiration from East Asian Martial Artists), doesn't mean that we're ignoring other things.

Fine. Rename the Druid to "Shaman" if that's better (I don't know if it is, just giving a suggestion). Rename the Paladin to "Knight" or "Oathsworn" or something like that. I honestly don't care. These are just red herrings to distract away from the topic of discussion. Who cares? If the names are too tied to their European ancestry for the modern class, change the name.

Again, this is a red herring. Either discuss the thing we're discussing, or don't. Just don't try to distract from it with whataboutisms and other red herrings.

I think Shaman is more offensive and appropriating than Druid is, but what do I know. I agree that this is a red herring.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Lol, what? This is a demonstrably false statement.

It really depends on a lot of factors we don't really have full answers to. Is Shaman a Tungusic word or is it ultimately from Sanskrit? Are we talking about what the word Shaman has become in the English language (a hodgepodge catch all for priests and holy people that are not from one of the imperial cultures we study in World History)? Or are we talking about specific Tungusic holy people from whence the term entered the language?

Are we saying Druid in the very specific, Brittano-Gaulo-Belgic sense that Julius Caesar wrote about them, or are we talking about the priestly class across Celtic cultures? Or are we talking about nature priest animal skin-changers? Because those are very much a modern invention, but very much part of the word's identity now.

I'd argue that Shaman is a more problematic term because it's a word used in modern day English to denigrate and otherise sacred traditions of cultures the English speaker knows little about, whether they be from Siberia or South America or sub-Saharan Africa or Australia or among the first nations of North America, etc. Meanwhile, Druid has particular meaning in the cultural heritage of the remaining Celtic nations of Britain, Eire, Cymru, Alba, Kernow, Breizh, and Galiza, but is not used to refer to modern-day religious practitioners as the religion was replaced by Christianity centuries ago. The term IS used by Neo-Pagan and Neo-Druidic societies like OBOD, but these groups are similarly creating new definitions for these terms that have little if any continuity with the original Bards, Wates, and Druids of Ancient Celtic religious and scholarly life.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases