D&D (2024) The Future of One D&D Setting Books

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sure, they sell well. I'm not saying "Lets play D&D but in Phyrexia or Dominaria" isnt going to sell well, but thats not the angle being pushed here.

The idea of Jace taking a stroll through Baldur's Gate, well I cannot express the feeling I have towards the idea.

Settings books? No problem.
Making MTG and D&D the same setting?
Eh, I wasn't thrilled with Elminster showing up in other settings as far back as the 1E Dragon magazine days. That ship has long since sailed, I think.

Sure, they sell well. I'm not saying "Lets play D&D but in Phyrexia or Dominaria" isnt going to sell well, but thats not the angle being pushed here.

The idea of Jace taking a stroll through Baldur's Gate, well I cannot express the feeling I have towards the idea.

Settings books? No problem.
Making MTG and D&D the same setting?

Season 4 No GIF

Not completely the same setting, neither setting will be radical restructure for it, more a bridged setting with limited cross-overs.

Scribe

Legend
The advantages for WotC are just too many to ignore when they know the players will ultimately accept it, like they accepted the far, far, far more unpopular idea of universes beyond, which WotC keeps doing because it makes a ton of money.
I see no advantage, in taking 2 possible settings, and cramming it all into 1.

I see no advantage, in taking 2 possible settings, and cramming it all into 1.

No cramming needed, just a few connections between the two.

And like I said the advantage is in reprints and other cross-over products being more compatible. They want One D&D and I suspect One MtG as well (hence why silver boarder is no longer a thing for future sets like Unfinity for example).

JEB

Legend
Doomspace was never going to be Athas, because WotC isn't reckless enough to turn Athas' sun into a black hole. Think of how some folks reacted to Van Richten's and then amp that up to 90%+ of Dark Sun fans being upset. They were never going to do something like that.

That map was almost certainly created by an artist who was "it's kind of like Dark Sun" and put in temp text that got caught late in the process and fixed.
Winninger told us there was going to be a "cameo" by a classic setting in 2022. Unless something pops up from another setting in the Dragonlance book, "Athaspace" is the only possible candidate for what he was referring to. And that name stuck around late enough in the development process to make it into promotional materials.

Also, Ravenloft clearly demonstrated that they will make whatever changes they see fit to classic settings, as long as it seems like a better idea than what the old setting had. Turning Athas' sun into a literal "Dark Sun" certainly seems like someone's idea of a clever change...

Scribe

Legend
No cramming needed, just a few connections between the two.

And like I said the advantage is in reprints and other cross-over products being more compatible. They want One D&D and I suspect One MtG as well (hence why silver boarder is no longer a thing for future sets like Unfinity for example).
MTG jumped the shark with the Walking Dead cards, its been downhill from there, and they dont need an excuse for reprints.

Remove ads