Level Up (A5E) The Genasi Heritage-What special ability do all Genasi have in common?

I have been musing on and off about creating a Genasi heritage for A5e for a while now. Not as a part of the Planetouched heritage, but as it's own heritage. I know that the first part to creating their heritage is the part where you determine their age, their size and their speed. I also figure that they are going to have Darkvision. But I don't see them having anything like the Immortal Blessing feature that the A5e Aasimar and Tiefling have.

So what special ability could they have in common? I think it should be something that ties them to their Genie ancestors or maybe even the elements themselves.

Recently I had an idea for their special ability that could tie them to their Genie ancestor. The Bountiful Luck feat from 5e. Here's the part I would use from that feat:

Your people have extraordinary luck, which you have learned to mystically lend to your companions whenever you see them falter. You're not sure how you do it, you just wish it, and it happens. Surely a sign of fortune's favor!

• When an ally you can see within 30 feet of you rolls a 1 on the d20 for an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can use your reaction to let the ally reroll the die. The ally must use the new roll.

Since Genies are commonly known for granting wishes, I could see their Genasi descendants having a tiny sliver of this ability. It's not very reliable most of the time. Rolling a 1 only happens 5% of the time when making any kind of check. And even when their wish does come true, it's not always helpful. Thus it's not OP. This ability could be called Minor Wish or Genie's Blessing Thoughts?

I am curious to see what everyone might like to see as a common special ability for the Genasi. :)

xiphumor

Legend
I have my own design for a Genasi-like heritage, but I intentionally took a step away from magic and genies because it bothers me that the living incarnation of flame can cast Burning Hands once per day. Instead, I focus on how they move, sense, and interact with the world.

As for common traits, I kind of cheated and gave them a trait called “Elemental Affinity” which generally includes a resistance, movement/sense, and third feature I can communicate quickly.

E.g.

Air - lightning resistance, +5 speed, can hold breath forever

Space - force resistance, climb speed, expertise on Str saves

Earth - acid resistance, 10 ft. tremorsense, petrification immunity

They share a size and base speed, and have access to some of the same paragon gifts, but beyond that, I don’t see much reason that a heritage that embodies a fundamental element should have much in common with another that embodies the exact opposite.

I did something akin to the genasi in my Handbook of Heritages, in case you hadn't seen it and were interested. They're not planetouched--although I have a bunch of new planetouched gifts in there to represent different types of extraplanar beings.
I did buy the Handbook of Heritages a while back and read about the Jenn. The Jenn are more like Pathfinder 2nd edition's Dualborn Suli.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’d give endure elements or even absorb elements as a standard ability x per day if you want. You’d think Genasi should be adapted to their energy type at least

Another special ability that the A5e Genasi could have in common is a minor manipulation of their element. Currently 5e has four cantrips Control Flames, Gust, Mold Earth, and Shape Water. Each of these cantrips control a particular element within a 5 foot cube. So collectively they could have a special ability called Shape Element that works like these four cantrips, but works only with one element depending on which Genasi gift you choose as a player character. Ex. An Earth Genasi using Shape Element to Mold Earth (like the cantrip).

Yes, this for anyone who wants their Genasi character to bend their respective element. ;) But how to improve Shape Element without making it too powerful. Increasing the size of the cube at 5th, 11th and 17th is one possibility. Having it affect magical versions of each element is also possible, but I feel like this could be their Paragon gift at 10th level.

As always, thoughts here are appreciated. :)

xiphumor

Legend
I’ve tried to design A5e versions of those cantrips that are versatile, balanced, and respectful of WotC’s IP. It’s very hard. As much as I wish I could say otherwise, 5e is simply built on an engine that makes AtLA-style bending very difficult to simulate.

I’ve tried to design A5e versions of those cantrips that are versatile, balanced, and respectful of WotC’s IP. It’s very hard. As much as I wish I could say otherwise, 5e is simply built on an engine that makes AtLA-style bending very difficult to simulate.
Good point. I only know of one homebrewed attempt to create a class that was based off of the Benders from AtLA. Element Bender (5e Class) - D&D Wiki I have no idea if this class has been playtested or how good it actually is.

At the same time, however, it would be cool if the Genasi could bend.

xiphumor

Legend
I think there is room for that in A5e, but I think the right place for it is actually combat traditions. (I think @Steampunkette was playing around with this idea at one point?) Tying it to an origin feature necessarily limits the power it can have, and besides, as combat traditions, we can REALLY lean in to the ATLA fantasy!

(Spells are also cool I guess, but it would take a lot more spells)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases