The GMF campaign setting

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Jodjod:
While you have a point, the power level or magic level of our setting is not what should be unique. It should be the premise of our world, what our world's history and functionality is. As far as uniqueness is concerned we shouls ask, "What ties our world together?"

in Faerun, it is the legends. Stories of Netheril and Elminster...

Ebberon: Magic. It functions as tecnology and brings the world together

I vote for standard on both magic and power due to ease of adjusting it should one's individual campaign call for low or high magic.

Magic-
High: 1
Standard: 7
Low: 1

Power-
High: 0
Standard: 4
Low: 2

Everyone has till tommorow to vote on magic, till Wednesday to vote on power.
After that, I will open it up for ideas as to what we should do with the world. On Wednesday, everyone should start posting their ideas as to what kind of a world we want starting with geography (i.e. island nations, one big continent, a mixture of the two, etc.), then we will vote on which of those ideas we like the most.

Alright, polls are closed on magic. The final tally ended with standard magic as the most popular so thats what we'll use. Everyone who hasn't voted yet has till tommorow to vote on power.

MarkCsigs

First Post
sorry I missed out on the magic vote (although I would have voted for standard).

I'll also vote for standard power, following Derbacher's logic.

-- Mark C'sigs

Power-
High: 0
Standard: 5
Low: 2

Standard power it is.

Now, everyone start posting your ideas on how the geography should be set up. Should it be mountainous, islands, vast forests, dry deserts, etc. And if it is a combination of many different forms of terrain, how evenly should they be distributed?

P.S. After we are done with all this (thoughI don't think that will be for a long time), I was wondering if anyone here is a good enough artist that they think they could draw up a map. I can't do much better than a stick figure, so I can't do squat in that department.

Nightcloak

First Post
I'm pretty good at drawing maps, but I could have a problem with the time - RL.

I guess we'll see as we get close to finish and how big it needs to be.

Alright, I was thinking along the lines of a whole lot of islands clustered together. My thoughts were that they could be so close together that if it weren't for the deep trenches separtaing them, they would be a continent. Some could be far enough apart that you would need too take a ship to reach them, some of them close enough that you could just swim over from one to the other. The islands cuold also be of varying size, some big enough for whole countries, some small enough that they only have enough room for a single shack. As a result, much of the magic in the world could involve transport over large stretches of water. Also, I think that an entire campaign setting made up of hundreds or thousands of islands would be somewhat unique. You could have island fortresses and lairs. Military stress would be naval rather than infantry. Then think about the campaigns you could do. Because of the theoretically limitless number of islands, there is an incredible potential for making entire stories based off of trying to actually find the island the BBEG is on. Also, think about the fact that no only can you have dungeons on the islands, but also in the canals separating them. Imagin how many interesting underwater battles you could have. And the mythology or history could have something to do with the reason they are islands. Perhaps, in one culture's mythology, this used to be a great continent of mountains, but some deity or higher power became so POed at the humans, that they sunk the continent, only leaving the mountain tops above the water.

Just my 2 cents (well, it was a long post, so I guess it could be more).

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
I follow that, that was the idea I had myself, a whole buncha lil' 'slands that were in a contenental cluster, very cool Idea.... And maybe one hyuggeee island that housed the main nations, with all the clusters centered upon it...

themind

Explorer
Or a main island where the nations come to meet and decide things that could be beneficial for the cluster of islands. Sort of like the U.N.

Remove ads