The GMF campaign setting

For the good of the Foundation, as well as my own ego :D , I hereby declare this thread *bumped*.

Alright, as we have a new crop of people, three polls for people to vote on:

Magic (how common and how powerful magic is): Do we want high magic campaign setting, mid amount, or low magic?

Power (how powerful are the creatures and NPCs): High powered (Note: this doesn't neccessarily mean every village idiot and his grandma is 30th level, it just means that there are some truly awe-inspiring entities in the world), mid level, or low level. A high powered example would be Forgotten Realms, while low powered is Ebberon.

Geography (basically the kind of geography prevalent in the campaign setting): Open for proposals by anyone. I was personally thinking of something like a massive sea of islands as the main focus, but thats just me. Anyone with an idea can propose it, but you must support it. If we get a series of good ideas, you will be split into groups to work on each individual area (i.e. If we get a lot of votes for both grasslands and mountains, we'll have people volunteer to work on each individual area, and its unique traits, such as religion and government)

Psioinics: Yes or no? The voters will decide...

Now, everyone will "campaign" (hehehe, I made a funny :) ) for their ideas. You want high magic, give reasons you think it should be high magic, and try to convince others (in a peaceful manner) to see you point of view.

Everyone will now get one vote in the magic and power categories, one in psionics, and two in geography. Votes will be tallied for the last time on October 31st (yes, Halloween :uhoh: ). We will then begin work. Let the voting and proposals begin!

My votes: High magic, Mid-power, pro-psionics, and my geographical votes go to islands and mountains walking hand in hand (metaphorically, otherwise it would just be creepy).

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Mid-magic, Low Power, Pro-Psionics, I would go with Islands and forests.

Mid-magic: Best for adaptation, both in writing the setting and then running it. I would classify FR as a Mid-magic. There are arcmages and such, yes, but magic is hardly EVERYWHERE. Unlike in Ebberon where, basically, magic is technology.

Low Power: To me, a low powered setting would grant the PCs more significance. It's one of the things I don't like about Forgotten Realms. You have these Arcmage-guys-who-have-at-least-one-level-in-every-freaking-class-and-are-also-a-Chosen-of-Mystra-who-could-kill-you-in-the-face NPCs that make the players seem insignificant. in a low power, the PCs basically MAKE those characters of legend, and the world develops from the PCs.

Pro-Psionics: Player freedom.

Geography: Idk, I just liked those two best, though I like Mountains too...

Macrovore

First Post
What would be interesting is a world where magic is rare and feared, and psionics were much more commonplace (think Realms, but with psionics).
I'll talk to BoD about the islands idea, too

Nah, I think we should make the setting have more magic than psionics, Macrovore.

As to ChaosEvoker, my thoughts on mid-power are this. In a low power world, admittedly the PCs are probably the big kids on the block, but for me, that's just the problem with Ebberon: there aren't nearly as many guys who you can say "Holy crap, I'm not going anywhere near him." In Ebberon, the leader of one of the continents most powerful fortresses is a 3rd level paladin. In my groups Ebberon game, we've only been playing for a few sessions, and we're already that powerful. Really, I can understand the appeal of the PCs being the biggest guys around, but that kinda' limits what the GM can do.
High power I agree with you on: as much as I love the Realms, there's always a bigger good guy than you. If you're a PC, why fight Larloch when he attacks you? Just tell the Chosen that he's out of his whole and they'll be all over him like yo' momma on the donuts.
Mid-power give the most options in my opinion. The PC might very well be the most powerful characters in a twenty mile radius, or even in the whole city, but there is still always a bigger evil to fight. Also, I like it more realistically, because you don't outstrip all the NPCs in the world in a few sessions: the kindoms Archmage is more powerful than any PC, and probably will be for a while. But when they do manage to outstrip him in levels at last, then they are truly powerful individuals in their own right.

Just my take on it...

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
And we have to remember here, we are making an entire world, so one part might be completely different from another, for example as per Macrovores idea- there could be an isolated archipegalo where psoinics was waaaaaay more common than magic, but in another part, its the opposite. (For example in a magocratic state) Or even another twist could be a place completely isolated from magic, and thats where the occult slayers come from, and the other anti-magic prcs/barbarians. That goes with the geography idea as well, there may well be a huge sea of islands in one part of the world, a large continent in another, and a set of several isolated smaller continents in another part, each with its own geographic uniqueness.

O_O I just had an idea, as per me and BoD are working on the islands ideas-

BoD- What if elves=seafaring traders, since water will be more prevalent then forest here, and halflings are the "pirates" or competing with the elves for trade, but thats not to say that humans would not have boats. The whole lots of island thing is just begging for pirateerish stuff.

Also i think that psionics should be prevalent in this world, but not outshining magic, (e.g. They are equally common and you will find about 1 sorcerer or wizard for each wilder or psion) etc.

Last edited:

Mr_GrinReaper said:
And we have to remember here, we are making an entire world, so one part might be completely different from another, for example as per Macrovores idea- there could be an isolated archipegalo where psoinics was waaaaaay more common than magic, but in another part, its the opposite. (For example in a magocratic state) Or even another twist could be a place completely isolated from magic, and thats where the occult slayers come from, and the other anti-magic prcs/barbarians. That goes with the geography idea as well, there may well be a huge sea of islands in one part of the world, a large continent in another, and a set of several isolated smaller continents in another part, each with its own geographic uniqueness.

O_O I just had an idea, as per me and BoD are working on the islands ideas-

BoD- What if elves=seafaring traders, since water will be more prevalent then forest here, and halflings are the "pirates" or competing with the elves for trade, but thats not to say that humans would not have boats. The whole lots of island thing is just begging for pirateerish stuff.

Also i think that psionics should be prevalent in this world, but not outshining magic, (e.g. They are equally common and you will find about 1 sorcerer or wizard for each wilder or psion) etc.

Okay, I can see a 1:1 ratio on wizards/psionics. I just want magic to be at least as numerous. It is D&D after all.

Elves as seafaring traders works, I guess, though I was thinking more along the lines of the elves living in there own island chains. But I guess they could be a trade nation.

As to pirates, thats what orcs are for. :]

I suggested mountains because, really, islands are just submerged mountains. However, perhaps we can actually use all three: the dominant land type are islands, with forests covering them. However, there are also mountains rising from the forests.

Yeah, I agree on the magic fearing barbarians. Maybe lizard folk?

Catavarie

First Post
Well here's a thought...although i know that it seems a bit off the wall but I think It could work out well for us since we're all so creative and controlling, afteral thats why we DM :D

I've noticed that several people have come up with the idea of lots of island nations and few Large continents, how about everyone interested write up an island based around a particular race thereby creating a kingdom of that race. Therefore since each island is its own entity someone who wants to see high Psionics and low to no magic can do so at their disgretion, as the can the person who wants High magic without psionics can do the same...then we could submit them all for reveiw to the GMF and have people give their input about the islands which are created. Let me know what you guys think, I'm theorizing that this may be the best style of writing for us as a group as opposed to the "add to the previous posts" style that I see often on the General Board.

Remove ads