The GMF campaign setting

Macrovore

First Post
my votes: high magic, high power

finish those classes for me, BoD. I need the variant (non-casting) ranger and paladin, too.
and christmas is a long way away from now, dude. tally votes b4 then (if there are enough)

Macrovore said:
my votes: high magic, high power

finish those classes for me, BoD. I need the variant (non-casting) ranger and paladin, too.
and christmas is a long way away from now, dude. tally votes b4 then (if there are enough)
I'll try to do those classes soon, but I've been really busy.

The reason for that date I set is that with how slow the forums have been recently, I want to give everyone a long time to respond.

Xen155

First Post
Blade of Desecration said:
Question: Should we have someone (or a few people) write up a pantheon (I don't want to use the standard one), or should we just do it on a by-region basis?
I think it depends on what you want, a pantheon can be designed based on the people or the people can be designed based on the pantheon.

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
lol >.<

I think that we should decide the mechanics of the setting (geography, who lives where, what people do, etc.) before we decide gods, b/c good gods go good with people who would actually worship them.

(no sane/nonevil/conformist Faerunian land elf would worship the demogorgon) :p

(unless they were really wierd o_O)

Mr_GrinReaper said:
lol >.<

I think that we should decide the mechanics of the setting (geography, who lives where, what people do, etc.) before we decide gods, b/c good gods go good with people who would actually worship them.

(no sane/nonevil/conformist Faerunian land elf would worship the demogorgon) :p

(unless they were really wierd o_O)
Actually, in many settings, deities play a huge part in the nationality. Many governments might be theocracies, and tribal systems often center around religious figures. We'll wait till the actual voting on power and such is decided, but religion is one of the more important aspects of many regions in most CS' (and in real life), so it shouldn't be left till the end.

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
Yes, but what im saying is- the reason that a deity would be worshiped is b/c the people would have a reason to. (e.g. A seafaring nation would worship gods of good luck, trade, the seas etc.) So therefore we need to know what the people do before we know what the gods do. Sure we can say that there is a theocracy, but we dont need to decide what god that theocracy is based on. :p

Nightcloak

First Post
GR does make a good point.

Cultures that we develope could be radically different based on the style of pantheon. A world with Norse goods would look different from a world of Egyption based creation mythos which would differ from a Cthulu based far realm mythos. Doing this up front would provide boundries and direction for those working on their regions

Or...

If you are really going for the seperate regions via islands route. You could let each person make one up for thier region. The only joint effort would have to be for the mainland. The benifit of this is it allows each GM to tailor the culture he needs.

Or...

We could create a "generic" deity template to start that is somewhat neutral in concept. Each Region would be fleshed out by the GM having created an aspect of that god for his region. The benifit of this is that it gives some direction but still allows for creative liscence. It may require some up front work, though.

Example: Chaotic Goddess of Water template.

The mainland worships her as a Chaotic Good diety of the river and rains that provide life supporting farmlands and season floods to nurish the land with minerals. Her symbol is the plow.

An Island culture worships her as a Chaotic neutral Goddess of the Sea who provides safe passage for trade and also protects fisherman, but also brings tropical storms and sea monsters to those who cross her. Her symbol is a dual sided amulet with a ship on one side and a serpent on the other.

The pirate nation (aka BoD) worship her as a Chaotic Evil Goddess of Storms that should be placated to insure she does not pound their sea based lives. Her symbol is the Kraken.

All valid ideas for consideration. What does the pannel think?

Remove ads