The Goodman Gang in The Mysterious Tower

Goonalan said:
I'm still frustrated with this story hour, if anyone has any clues as to how I can improve it then please don't hesitate to drop me a line, it could be so much better. I think it's partly because when I play this group they tend to skip back story and the roleplay which usually occurs during, and definitely between scenarios- they just want to get their dice rolling and get stuck in- obviously this makes character development incidental to the action (dice rolling).

Suggestions please...

To be honest, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. I'm certainly enjoying the storyhour as it is. (But maybe I'm just easy to please. :p )

As regards the players' behaviour, I think it's understandable, both OOC and IC, that when the action's on, they focus on that. Just like a football team will focus on the game when they're on the pitch, and leave the inter-personal stuff in the dressing room (except in the case of Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer, obviously :D ). And I see nothing wrong with the storyhour mirroring that.

The only way I can suggest to inter-mix things a bit more is if some of the "roleplaying" - even if it take splace between adventures - can be written up as if it occurs during breaks within the action - when the party's resting etc. But that depends on the type of interaction concerned - it could probably be done with PC to PC conversations, but not with conversations with NPCs who aren't there. Maybe some could be done with "flashback" type handling - "While they sat staring into the campfire, Newt wondered whether he should really have ..." That sort of thing.

Anyway, as Loup says, I don't think much really needs fixing at all. Just keep it coming. :)

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Thanks, to both of you- much appreciated.

The problem with the roleplaying between scenarios is that... well, it doesn't exist. There's very little except shopping lists to fill, it's hard for us all to get together and so when we get a session organised, once a month- twice if we're very lucky, then the players want to dive into the next scenario with the minimum fuss. There's time for a little back-story and then it's sword and spell time.

I'll press on, the stuff that you're reading now is from a while back, I keep good notes though, the SH so far posted represents less than a quarter of the action. The present posts are from the second Goodman Games scenario, the players (note I didn't say characters) are just finishing their ninth Goodman Games scenario- there's lots more of this to come.

Thanks again.

It's good to talk.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
List so far is-

Dungeon Crawl Classics #0
Legends are Made, not Born
An Adventure for 0 Level Characters

Dungeon Crawl Classics #2
The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho
An Adventure for First Level Characters

Dungeon Crawl Classics #11
The Dragonfiend Pact
For 2nd Level Characters

Dungeon Crawl Classic #14
Dungeon Interludes
Chapter 1: The Eye of the Night
Level 1-3 (Scaled to level 4)

Dungeon Crawl Classic #24
Legend of the Ripper
Level 1-3 (Scaled to level 4- except the Water Elemental)

Dungeon Crawl Classic #3
The Mysterious Tower
Level 3-5

Dungeon Crawl Classic #14
Dungeon Interludes
Part 2: The Defiled Sanctuary
Level 3-5

Dungeon Crawl Classic #28
Into the Wilds
Level 1-3 (Scaled to lvl 4)

Dungeon Crawl Classic #17
Legacy of the Dragon Kings
Level 4-6

It probably averages out at 2 game sessions per scenario. As you can no doubt work out I don't give out a lot of XP along the way, the highest level character is level 4 at present.

I've got-

Dungeon Crawl Classic #26
The Scaly God
Level 4-6

Ready to run next.

Thanks

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
An Adventure for First Level Characters​

Turn 23: Bobby Ewing.

Bec stands statue-still, smoke fills his vision, he moves forward cautiously, opens his mouth to speak, something makes him stop.

“Where?”

He mumbles to himself.

His vision clears slowly; he’s on a cobbled street, a long way away… He’s home- way back home, Grimbo, the town he was born in, grew up in- before he ran away.

Coming up the hill towards him is his best friend, Hovis Presley, except there’s something odd about him; he’s shorter, and younger, maybe only six years old.

Bec looks down, he’s six too.

Ohhh- he thinks.

He waits for Hovis to get level with him and then waves furiously, rushes out to meet him, and passes straight through the spirit. Hovis doesn’t register a thing- marches on, down the hill.

Bec stands still for a second and then swipes at himself, his hand passes through his spectral form.

Confusing.

He shrugs, and follows his friend, all the way down the street to Hovis’ fathers shop, to the Hovis Bakery at the bottom of the hill; then quickly nips in through an open side door, which Hovis locks behind him with his key.

Bec strides into the Hovis Bakery’s floury heart.

Men and women mix, kneed and fold; ovens fume- it’s a production line and it smells like heaven.

He passes on, follows Hovis through into a smaller chamber, men and women make pies, and pastries, and slices, and turnovers, and… with cream, and icing, and jam, and jelly- a fug of icing sugar fills the air.

Bec stands tongue out tasting the sweet air.

He grins.

Then gingerly reaches out for an egg custard, his hand passes clean through the dessert.

He shrugs again and presses on into the front of the store, the shop itself, he stands behind the counter, open mouthed.

On the other side of the counter is Anya, a fully… erm developed Anya.

Naked.

Except for the cream.

And icing.

And one, two… three cherries.

She leans forwards to talk to him, he can see her… Bec blushes furiously, turns away, and locks eyes on his friend Hovis Presley again, who doesn’t look away.

“Go on then… Serve her.” Hovis states.

Bec gulps, “What can I get you Anya, I mean Miss?” He enquires.

She moves right up close, her face in his, her breath on his cheek.

“Can I have a sandwich?” She states in breathy whisper.

And then everything begins to fade.

Bec tries desperately to force his way back into the sugar spun dream, thinks about good things; Anya, sandwiches in rows and rows, the sweet chocolate and cream taste of profiteroles, the moment he heard his father was dead, back to Anya and her hand on his arm, walking back to the Tetknee to re-supply, his hand reaching up to grab her neck, to strangle her…

NO.

And he’s back in the bakery.

And Anya’s passing him one of her cherries.

The one on the right.

From the top.

It’s covered in cream.

He opens his mouth.

And wakes.

He’s on guard duty, still stuck on the stair, Newt’s who should also be on duty lies at his feet, his eyes twitch and blink- he’s dreaming, Bec thinks.

And puts his tongue away.

And shuts his mouth.

And grins some more.

He looks around- they’re all asleep, all dreaming, eyes fluttering in the half-dark.

Bec smiles, his stomach growls- he’s hungry, he reaches over towards Anya, pulls her cloak over her, then settles back to keep watch.

“Anya.”

He whispers.

The sleeping form stirs a moment, smiles a little, and then heads back into the unknown.

Cas shakes violently, it passes.

The other sleepers, one-by-one, follow suit.

Bec snores.

Cas stands again in the pillared Temple, the one with the frescoes they passed through earlier.

A noise.

Louder.

A rumble constructed from deep guttural snarls and shouts. The door bursts open and Kobolds, and worse, tumble out- all manner of vile abominations, clawed, winged, beaked, taloned, a mish-mash of unholy fiends.

They rush towards him, his blade sings.

And then Ala is by his side, sword drawn.

And then Jim, bow at full extension, arrow notched.

And then Bec, hefting his great club, slapping it into the open palm of his hand.

And then Newt, swiftly slotting a bolt into his crossbow.

And then Anya, who turns to smile at him, and then extends her arm to reveal a wand.

The Kobold Abominations hit them.

And fire, and metal, and wood, and steel strike.

And nothing

The tide is gone.

And yet the noise…

The noise continues.

Cas turns to look behind him, the foul abominations have passed through them, moved on.

Darkness for a second, and then the sudden feeling of weightlessness, he passes through rock and earth and stone, and out, and up.

He floats high above the cavern entrance, the way into this hell.

Below him the hills and forests, the meadows and streams of Lincornshire.

He can see Tetknee.

And the black tide approaching it.

Watches as another tide of foul creature’s spills from the cavern entrance far below, head off towards...

And then another.

And then another.

Until he’s past counting.

Too many.

Darkness for a second, and then he’s back in the Temple.

And the blinding light of Pelor engulfs him.

He falls to one knee, head down, eyes up, trying to catch a glimpse, but he’s blinded by the light.

He feels the sun on his back, his forehead, his face, inside of him, filling his whole being.

A flood of light, of warmth.

Unbidden he stands, looks up, and straight ahead, into the eyes of his maker.

“End it.” Pelor winks.

And then is gone.

Cas wakes.

As do the others.

Anya with the tender caress of her fallen mother’s lips still imprinted on her cheek, the press of her hands, still warm, holding her, cradling her.

Newt with the crinkled feel of gold and jewels, the pucker marks still apparent on his flesh, from his bed of treasure and precious things.

Ala with the parting words of the strange woman she met in the woods, in her dream, still ringing in her ears.

“Stop asking who you are, and start being who you are, you’re stronger, by far, than you, or they, think.”

Ala smiles.

Jim with cool breeze of home on his back, the sweat of honest toil on his brow, and the memory of straw in his hair, his mother’s voice, echoing, calling him in for supper, his fathers arm around his shoulders, around his brothers shoulders- how it used to be.

Bec with his hands clutched around an invisible sandwich taking huge bites, wiping the crumbs away from his mouth.

The adventures look around them, awakened.

They know now what will happen if they fail.

They know what their reward will be.

That life will go, as normal, and they’ll be there to see it.

WHUMP

The door flies open and an enraged Derro, one of the maddened, grizzled, evil Dwarves stands silhouetted in the doorway.

The creature gibbers, squawks and rages, foams at the moth, a collar around its neck.

“Who let the dogs out?”

Newt enquires.

FWUNG

The crossbow trap, set earlier by Jim and Newt, fires- misses.

A second Derro, similarly affected lurches into the chamber.

And there endeth the third session of play in this scenario.

Everyone is now up to level two, I’ll post the stats a little later, they’ve not gained there skills, spells, or special abilities yet- that comes with training.

Next Turn: Grind Finale.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Turn 24: Grind Finale

The adventures are quickly up and in a line at the top of the stairs, blocking the way, exactly as seen in Cas’ dream.

Newt and Jim fire.

But to no great effect- neither of the Derro are hit.

“Flame On.”

FWOOOOOOOM

And the stairs are full of fire- the Derro crisped, charred and very dead.

The adventurers stand about, grinning.

“Well, no time like the present.” Ala gathers up her gear.

The others do likewise.

It’s time to finish this.

Ala finds herself standing next to Newt, she puts out an arm, onto the Gnome’s shoulder, Newt stops, looks up.

“I’m…” She manages.

The bows her head.

“Yeah, so am I… this place.” The Gnome looks around, “It’s… I dunno.” He shivers.

And that’s what passes for a settling of their differences, for now.

The Gang head off, check out the three possible exits they, actually Cas, marched them past yesterday- empty rooms, nothing worth reporting.

It’s day six, the final day, tomorrow they’ll rest, today they’ll fight.

Through the teleporting pillared chamber, and on.

Newt checks the door ahead, nods once- it’s clear.

Cas flings it open.

They goggle at what lies beyond.

Cas flings the door shut again.

“So the room is somehow magically full of blood.” Cas starts.
“Yep, and there seems to be a number of Kobold abominations, heavily armed over the far side of the chamber, somehow floating on the blood tide.” Ala adds.
“Furthermore did you notice the Kobolds this time more resembled the High Priestess, albino, scaled, very Dragon-like.” Newt continues.
“And the one at the very back was obviously their leader, even more Dragon-like, a White Dragon at that, we should expect a cold welcome.” Anya grins.
“I’ll wear my mittens.” Jim finishes and unslings his bow.
“Exactly.” Cas chucks the Ranger on the arm.
“They have the terrain on their side. Answer- don’t go in there.” Cas finishes.
Ala nods, as do the others when they work it out, Bec looks despondent, he’s got nothing to fire or throw.

Thirty seconds later the door is once again flung open.

“SANDWICH.”

Bec gets to order the attack.

Cas launches sunrod after sunrod into the chamber, they offer a brief, but startling, at least for the Kobolds, all six of them, illumination.

Jim’s Magic Arrow sails into the chamber, catches one of the Elite Kobolds within off guard, the creature gurgles and sinks beneath the bloody waves.

Newt’s bolt, poisoned- one of half-a-dozen he recovered from the Derro earlier, and meant for the leader type, alas sails wide. As does Ala’s arrow.

“Smidgin.” Anya’s onto her second wand, another of the Elite Kobolds sinks forever.

Thwung.

A Kobold manages to fire his crossbow, the bolt whistles down the narrow corridor and lodges in Anya’s arm- she grits her teeth and fights on.

Baraz, the Barbarian Half-Dragon Kobold Abomination, quickly realises this is not working, his plan is failing, he must protect his master at all costs.

The stumpy winged Barbarian, the most ferocious, vicious, and above all, cunning, of his kind launches himself into the air, and dives forwards into the tunnel entrance, bringing with him a stinging blizzard of frost breath.

Jim, Newt, Anya and Ala are caught in the cold, but shrug it off.

“SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND WICH.” Bec states.

The group of adventurers, in unison, shuffle back- further away from the bloody chamber, and Baraz.

“SANDWICH.”

Bec orders.

Jim’s arrow catches Baraz on the shoulder, digs in, blood trickles down. Newt and Ala’s shots sail high and wide.

“FLAME ON.”

Anya screams and the corridor is bathed in fire.

Engulfing Baraz, who sizzles slightly as he strides forward, the damn bursts, Baraz Rages and launches himself forward towards his prey.

“SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND WICH.”

Bec orders, the group shuffle back again, trying to keep pace with the onrushing Barbarian.

But too late, for Jim, he’s raked across his chest- blood gushes out.

He manages to scramble back again, out of the creatures reach.

“FLAME ON.”

A second fan of fire engulfs Baraz.

And yet the creature dashes on.

Bec lurches through the ranks, great club in hand, ready to meet the creatures charge.

Baraz smashes into the giant man, sinks his claws several inches in to the Barbarians chest, and rips free a hunk of flesh.

Bec barely moans, pushes the creature away from him, and punches with his great club- jabs the thing, hard, into the Kobolds face.

Bone splinters and breaks, fragments of his skull lance into his brain, Baraz is no more.

The Abomination flops to the ground.

“Good man.” Cas pats Bec on the arm, as three more of the Elite Kobolds scramble into the corridor ahead.

“Unfinished business.”

Newt steps by them, aims and fires, sinks a crossbow bolt into a Kobold’s skull.

“For CAAAAAAAS.”

Bec grins and lopes off towards the new intruders, one of the creatures panics, drops his sword, and is crushed, in passing, by the giant Barbarian’s great club. The other faces off with Bec, and lasts less than ten seconds.

His job done, Bec ambles back to the group.

“Can I have Sandwich? Please? Or a cake- something creamy…”
“Not long now.” Ala grins back.
“With a cherry on top.” Bec finishes.

The adventurers gingerly approach the bloody chamber, which proves to be a pain to cross. A bloody tide swells and gathers at the far side, then rushes to their end of the chamber.

“If we time it right.” Anya offers, and then shrugs.

Before they attempt the crossing Anya lets loose with a Detect Magic and discovers another Healing Potion, and the fact that Baraz’s Chain Shirt is magical- they take them both.

And on into the horrid chamber.

Anya, Newt and Jim are caught in the bloody wave, the latter because he’s bobbing about trying to spot his Magic Arrow, the others get through with ease. It takes a good while but, now the threat has gone, they all get through unharmed, eventually. Jim sans arrow- it’s lost forever.

They readjust their kit, and then pass on into another huge, and almost empty, chamber.

There are no other obvious exits, the place is well lit, and all there is to see is a plain and seemingly unadorned Altar in the centre of the chamber, and a wooden store cupboard on the western wall,

How odd.

At least that’s all Jim, Newt and Anya see.

For the others, well… that’s a different matter.

Cas, Ala and Bec have a different vision.

Straight from Hell.

Again.

Basalt rock extends to the horizon, there’s no ceiling only the night sky, which is less crowded than they remembered, a single pale star glints in the heavens, casting a pallid glow over the proceedings.

And in the centre of the chamber is a fleshy globe of lashing body parts, mouths mark the surface, they moan and scream.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP

The globe breaks and spills open, flopping body parts writhe and wriggle; blood, guts and ooze is flung far and wide.

And from the twisted wreck of frenzied flesh strides Tsathzar-Rho, in whose Lost Vault they now stand.

The demonic-looking creature has green scaled skin; a bird like head attached to an overly long neck; awkward, bent legs and two taloned arms that seem to stretch undulate and flow.

Tsathzar-Rho moves towards them, with purpose- their destruction, as it closes they begin to make out the finer details. The creatures organs flop and slap against its skin, they’re on the outside, or are at least for a moment, before being absorbed back into its scaly form, only to be expelled again- second later. The cycle continues.

Tsathzar-Rho is truly revolting.

“PELLLLLLLLLLLLLORR.”

Cas charges.

“CORRRRRRREELLLLLLAAAAAAN.”

Ala follows.

Bec stumbles forward, as if in a trance.

The others stand stock still- look desperately about them.

“Where are they going?” Jim offers.
Newt shrugs, scans ahead- there’s nothing to see.
“What’s going on here? What do you see?” Anya shouts at the back of her charging companions.

Tsathzar-Rho taloned arms snake out to meet the holy duo, Cas ducks, Ala is not so lucky, a bloody trail marks its passing.

Cas’ longsword bites, slices through the creatures side, muck and gunk fly out.

Ala spins away from the creatures taloned arm, her longsword comes full circle, and digs deep into the creatures frame.

“SQWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.”

The creature screams.

“What was that?” Anya asks.
“I didn’t hear anything.” Jim coolly states.
Newt shakes his head.

Tsathzar-Rho turns his rent side away from his attackers, in the same instant his beaked maw smashes into Ala and rips a chunk of flesh, the size of a fist, from her shoulder- reveals the chipped bone beneath.

Its head snakes up, and gulps the bloody gobbet down.

Ala screams and staggers backwards, barely conscious.

“What the…” Jim offers, having just witnessed much of Ala’s shoulder suddenly disappear.

“A DEMON.”

Cas screams.

“It’s an illusion.” Anya states.

And so it is.

Anya and Newt see it all, they rush towards the terrifying vision.

Jim stand statue, “Hey, where are you going? What’s there?” The last innocent.

“I AM TSATHZR-RHO, I HAVE SLEPT FOR CENTURIES, BUT NOW I AM BACK, IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO SLEEP. EMBRACE THE DARKNESS, FOR DARKNESS AND CHAOS IS ALL THERE IS…”

The voice ancient, unhurried, and yet provoked.

It’s inside their heads, blocking out everything else.

Except for Jim.

“You guys, what’s going on- is this some kind of joke?”

Next Turn: Grand Finale, Part Two- Jim’s Surprise Party.

Abciximab

Explorer
I agree with the others, I think your being a little hard on yourself. I'm enjoying two of your story hours (lost boys) and I like that they are both very different from one another both in player ability and actions and in tone. The other makes me laugh a little more, but I like the gameplay elements that come through with the experienced group as well. Hope to see more from both.

Goonalan said:
I'll press on, the stuff that you're reading now is from a while back, I keep good notes though, the SH so far posted represents less than a quarter of the action. The present posts are from the second Goodman Games scenario, the players (note I didn't say characters) are just finishing their ninth Goodman Games scenario- there's lots more of this to come.

Glad to hear it. :D

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
I think you're all mad, but I thank you kindly for your comments. I'm going to try something a little different when I get to the end of the turns I've already written up- which coincides with the end of the next adventure (not this one).

Anyway, more of the same...

And thanks again.

Turn 25: Grand Finale, Part Two- Jim’s Surprise Party.

Newt dashes forward towards the horrendous beast, crossbow in hand, crouches and settles for a second, stares again at the poison bolt he has loaded.

FWUNG

A direct hit, the bolt buries itself in the creature’s chest.

“KWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA…”

Tsathzar-Rho screams as the poison ravages him, staggers, and yet remains standing. The creature lashes out a taloned arm at Ala, she ducks the blow, and skitters out of the creatures reach.

She pumps healing energies into herself, she grimaces as her shoulder mends, then straightens- ready to rejoin the fight.

“Smidgin.”

Anya’s wand sings; the Magic Missile however barely leaves a mark on the creature.

Cas slashes at the creatures clawed foot, scores a direct hit, leaving a bloody trail of his swords passing, the creature hops backwards slightly.

“SAAAAAAND WICH.”

Bec shakes his head, swats invisible flies, then storms forward and delivers a devastating two-handed blow, with all his might.

Right to the back of Ala’s head.

The Cleric slumps to the ground, blood pouring from the rent in the back of her skull.

“What the…”

Jim sees this, rushes over, and launches himself at Bec. The giant man backs off and drops to a fighting stance.

“BEC. BEC. WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU’VE KILLED HER.”

But there’s no one home.

Bec swings again, Jim dodges aside at the last second.

“Akkat”, Anya points Swish at Bec, the broom hops over to attack- with its usual lack of effect. Anya coats herself in her Mage Armour, shimmers in the lone-starlight.

Thwung

Newt’s crossbow bolt sails well wide of the Abomination, although it only misses Cas by inches, he gulps and makes a mental note to aim better next time.

“Calm down Bec… Calm down.” Jim offers.
His words seem to have an immediate effect, Bec lowers his great club.
“Give me the club… Come on, you don’t want to hurt anyone else.”
Bec, as meek as a lamb now, hands the weapon over.

Tsathzar-Rho lashes out but Cas meets the creatures attacks with his shield and sword, deflects both blows aside.

Bec knocks Swish aside, the broom skitters a good fifteen feet away, then hops up and heads on back to the fray.

Anya bends down over the fallen Ala, pours two healing potions into the stricken Cleric, she coughs and splutters, then opens her eyes.

“What happened?”
“Later.” Anya states.

Cas slashes again, catches Tsathzar-Rho’s leg again, only a small cut this time but enough to make the creature back away further.

“HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.”

Bec screams and forearm smashes Jim, who staggers backwards, but quickly recovers his senses, rushes back in, grapples Bec, as best he can, which turns out to be badly. Jim changes tack, releases his grip, and shuffles back, swings his right foot hard- up into Bec’s cobblers.

“OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.”

The big guy staggers backwards, clutching at the affected area.

“I want this all to stop, you’re frightening me. Stop it.” Jim splutters.

CLAAAAAAAW

“KWAR.”

Cas is sliced across his chest, Tsathzar-Rho chirrups and grins.

“Sooooooon be overrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.”

It’s voice in Cas’ brain.
Fwung.

“Damn.” Newt reloads, another miss.

Ala levers herself to her feet, Anya’s moved on, she mumbles a prayer and lo and behold- her sword glows and pulses, becomes, temporarily, a Magic Weapon. She shuffles forward, dragging her longsword behind her- it’s heavy and she’s weak still.

“FLAME ON.”

Anya has run around to the rear of the creature, she sends a gout of flame into the beasts back.

“KWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.”

It screams as its flesh chars and cinders.

“SANDwich.”

Bec forgets his hurt, turns tail, and staggers away from all the confusion- further into the massive chamber, punch-drunk, he trips on. Jim follows, cautious.

“Bec. BEC. What is it?”

Bec continues wandering.

One of Tsathzar-Rho’s clawed arms lashes out, smashes into Ala’s forehead, cuts it wide-open, blood cascades down her face, in her eyes, nose and mouth.

“You bastard.” She staggers back, catches herself and surges forward again.

Cas darts in, swings high, wide and handsome- spots Ala out of the corner of his eye.

“Ala?”

Fwung.

Another bolt sails wide.

“Feck.”

Newt drops his crossbow, useless bloody thing; quick draws his heavy mace and charges into the melee.

Tsathzar-Rho lashes again at Cas, the attack is deflected by his shield- which is starting to get very heavy in his hands; it’s second attack misses Ala, but Ala doesn’t miss it- slashes with all her might and takes the last six inches or so off one of the creatures incredibly flexible taloned arms.

“KWAAAAAAA.”

It hauls in the damaged limb.

Tsathzar-Rho realises then that the battle is lost, and so launches itself forward again, abandoning defence for all out fury.

“WHAT IS IT? WHAT’S GOING ON? WHAT DO YOU SEE?”

Jim screams at Bec, exasperated.

The giant man turns to face Jim, gibbers, looks away, then back again to the centre of the chamber where the hellish abomination makes its last stand.

Bec points.

Jim turns to look- and sees for the first time the real chamber.

“What…”

He manages, then.

“Come on.”

The Ranger grabs hold of Bec’s leather jerkin and drags him along.

“AAAAAAAAAAArrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.”
“AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhh.

Bec imitates.

Newt stands before the creature as it flails and smashes- in frenzy, waves his mace ineffectively, swishes once, and then faced with nowhere else to go rolls straight through the creature’s legs, and emerges unscathed.

Tsathzar-Rho’s elongated neck snakes down to follow the Gnomes path, intent on taking a bite out of the unarmoured combatant.

SNICK.

Ala cuts clean through the Abominations neck, the creature’s head flops onto the ground, the body is wracked by a St. Vitus dance, then rushes head long forward, smashing past Ala and Cas, cannons into a wall, staggers left and continues to smash its way around the chamber, careening off walls.

Ala drops her sword. Cas rushes to her.

“You... I want a word with…”

She points at Bec, who looks suitably ashamed- cringes, scared, then Ala fades and falls… into Cas’ arms.
The Outer Realm, the home of Tsathzar-Rho, fades away, and thirty seconds later they’re back in an emptyish room, save the black unadorned Altar, and the store cupboard- not a sign of their passing, or the final battle with the Abomination, Tsathzar-Rho, the creature simply fades from sight.

There’s a ring, and several potion flasks in the storage cupboard- all of which detect as magical, and a small, but ultimately valuable, supply of silver, gold, diamond and mithril dust.

Two hours later the group emerges back into the light, it’s raining, and head back to Tetknee.

“I love the rain, don’t you?”
Cas nods, and kisses Ala.

Bec, rushes forward to the divine duo, he has something in his hand, he puts his head down- proffers his gift, a bunch of wild flowers, Ala takes them and smiles at the huge Barbarian.

“I know you didn’t mean it.”

She squeezes his hand, and then walks on with Cas, who smiles back at Bec.

Jim, Anya and Newt catch up with Bec.

“So what you gonna do with your share of the money?” Jim asks.
“Sandwich.”
Newt smiles, Anya giggles.
“For Anya.” Bec finishes.
Anya reddens.

The six head home.

Next Turn: Review.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Overall score out of 10: 5.3
Play time: Approx 12 bloody hours.

Review:

Less liked than the first scenario, this one hung in there, forever laying one or another of the party members low, it became a war of attrition very quickly in the second session of play. It also became necessary for me to adjust the damage done by all of the Kobolds, the scenario quotes damage stats for medium weapons instead of small weapons, which the Kobolds should be wielding. The problem is, what with the Kobold’s high AC, the best fighter in the party has only a 25% chance of hitting, this chance is reduced to, on average, 15% for the other party members. The Kobolds have a similar chance of hitting the PCs, and there are lots of them, and there are other monsters with better chances to hit.

The players commented on conclusion that it would have taken perhaps two sessions tops to play through the scenario, and would encourage much more open play, if the Kobold’s stat blocks had been left alone, at least have done with the AC 19 Footmen which made up a majority of their adversaries.

The overall scenario, asks more questions than it answers, particularly of the DM- see below. That said the finale proved, for its chaotic conclusion, to be almost worth the wait.

Notes and Quotes:

The Ogre proved a fair start, and from the outset demonstrated to the players their ability, like Mr. R. said in the last scenario, sort of- when you know what’s ahead it’s lots easier, and thus it proved to be for the Ogre- dead in two rounds.

The passage from the Ogres cave into the Vault of Tsathzar-Rho was expected, at least something was bound to be there, after all I hadn’t encouraged the players to put away the Take Away food menus.

All players expressed their preference for Stirges, they had indeed felt cheated that Stirges didn’t play a part in their first adventure.

They also liked the way up into the scenario, the climb, an entrance into the unknown that takes effort to get too, not often do you get this at lower level.

The initial contact with the Kobolds was equally terrifying and exciting- particularly as Mr. W. (Newt) was on his own at the time, perhaps the first time ever he was glad to see Mr. R. (Cas).

Mr. W. (Newt)- “I’m sorry, I said I was sorry… now get up here.”
Mr. R. (Cas) just sits there grinning, a smile you want to punch.

Likewise the trek into the river cavern leading to the party split was most enjoyable; all the fighters running off to leave a first level Rogue, Magic User and Cleric facing off against four Dire Rats and six heavily armoured Kobolds, it felt like adventuring. This mirrored by the warriors own calumny- fighting half-a-dozen more Kobolds, and the Kobold Wizard, complete with Magic Missile Wand and Burning Hands spell, which resulted in just Bec left standing. It felt like heaven to this lowly DM, every dice roll monitored, and not just by the roller, players screaming at each other-

Mrs. R. (Ala)- “Shut up, and just bloody hit it.”

That kind of thing- good work, I really thought at this point it was going to be a cracker.

This of course lead to the first marital tiff, Mrs R. (Ala) enquiring of Mr. R. (Cas).

Mrs. R. (Ala)- “What the bloody hell do you think you were doing running off?”
Mr. R. (Cas)- “I…”

Particularly amusing, the Paladin getting told off, scratch that, scolded, by the Cleric- like a naughty schoolboy.

And so the adventurers make it to the river, after first looting the Kobold Wizard and getting away with a new Wand of Magic Missiles for Miss P. (Anya), and a Pearl of Power I (Anya, again), and Bracers of Armour +1 (Bec).

Newt had also been robbing the remainder of the party blind at this point with the three-fingered pendants- good work.

And so the first session ended with high hopes.

The second session starts ok; they all see the logic of the return to Tetknee for supplies, after Cas has explained it to them.

The destruction of the Fire Beetles, six in total, was easy, more of a distraction- and good solid first level dungeon fodder. The Darkmantle was also an enjoyable encounter, if only for Miss E.’s (Bec) natural ‘20’. The fighting milk-maid dollies wouldn’t go away for a while, mainly because of their hardness and the difficulty of the environment.

The session then went from okay to stuffed, very quickly, they liked the Giant Spider, they stopped liking it however when Cas got bitten to buggery and ended up with a Strength score of around ‘7’, but I guess that’s there look out.

This lead on to them landing on the Undead side of the street, the Ghoul proved good fun, particularly when they decided to use Newt as live bait, actually I think he suggested it.

The graveyard area likewise proved to be a good fight; that is until they started to count the cost- the hits they’d taken in making the place into their new lair, the spells, and Turning attempts they’d expended in the effort.

A rest stop was inevitable, as I’ve said about first level characters, one bad fight, or even two fair ones, with some bad dice rolls and your scuppered for a while.

Mr. R. liked his Magic Sword though.

Rested they returned, and kicked ass, only to be laid low again. Two dozen Kobolds may not seem like much of a fight but wrap them in mail and give them crossbows, and good pluses to hit and they all become potential death traps. I understand it’s not meant to be easy, but at first level it’s hard to make a grind like this sustainable, and yet here we are. So the majority of the session was spent in a dice rolling fury, admittedly this was teaching some of my players a useful lesson, again.

As Mr. R. also said last time, you leave your best stuff/moves for the big bad guy at the end- which results in players being insulted by being held to a draw, almost, by a bunch of lowly Kobolds, while all the time trying not to expend their favourite one-shots. Miss. P. however was going through her Magic Missile Wand at one charge per round, every round.

So they kicked some ass.

Then met up with the Derro and their poisoned crossbow bolts- result two dead Derro but also Cas back on Strength ‘8’, Bec on a little more, and Ala hovering on 1 HP, and most of the others still wounded- and two of them holding out on the Healing Potions, particularly Mr. W. (Newt) who had four of them stashed away.

Result- they go back to bed for a day, the second session draws to a close and they’re liking the scenario less and less.

It needs to be said that I made a judgement call in letting the players remain holed up in the hidden graveyard because-

1. It was hidden, and hard to get to.
2. The Kobolds were without leadership- uncoordinated.
3. The Kobolds do not stray from their positions.
4. The Kobolds feared the Undead that occupied this section, and avoided it.
5. The Kobolds don’t have any more rafts.

This however allowed the PCs to correctly presume that this area was safe, and therefore allow them to get through the rest of the scenario knowing that they had somewhere to run and hide in.

On to the third session, which started out as fun but drifted into another heavy dice rolling session.

And so like professionals they adapt to survive, they’re ready for the Kobolds this time around, Bec Rages, Newt flings Thunderstones, Ala summons a Badger (which only slows things down but hey-ho). They rip through the first set of Kobolds.

And then Miss E. (Bec) does a runner, which is what he always does when his Rage is still going- looking for something else to smash.

This led to another fight with a Kobold Wizard, his guards, and a bunch of Elite Kobolds, which would have been more fun if the Kobolds had been something less Koboldy, although their look had changed they remained the same one hit to kill bad guys. Thus the only dice roll that mattered was the To Hit roll, there was no sense of it being a big fight- not enough leader types, the two wizards encountered so far rocked, they both hung around. In between times it was very short rounds, five people roll to hit, missile or melee, maybe one or two succeed, Anya shoots one dead with her wand. If a Kobold hits it does approx two points of damage- there wasn’t the same feeling of danger being generated. This may, once again, have been down to the parties head on approach but circumstances also worked against them at times.

This was also the start of the shadows, and random Will saves for the players, this an effect of the scenario, the growing terror- which, the saves which served to slow down play a little more, were almost always passed- inevitably the only time the players rolled anything good, anything that was guaranteed to hit the Kobolds.

Miss P. (Anya) is also quids in again with the Spellbook, and another Wand, this time of Burning Hands.

They press on to the Lemure’s, and they’re more like it, the sense of danger is palpable, particularly as the players get to exchange blows with the creatures, simply put- they stick around for a little while.

The chamber with the Portals to the Elemental Planes received a mixed reaction, some players felt it epitomised all that is bad about the ‘old school’ scenarios, they want to believe that this sort of sophisticated magic awaits them at later levels, yes it was just a trap, but it was all a bit too much like the scenario was trying to do everything- throw the kitchen-sink at them. It was also the time that Miss E. (Bec) failed her saving throw with the lowest number on the die, which led to the invention of the toasted cheese sandwich- so at least some good came of it.

If Bec hadn’t have failed his save then they would have worked their way around the possible traps, probably without injury, by using the Kobold notes provided, and, of course, Miss P. (Anya) ends up with the Necklace of Fireballs.

Then they rest up again- undisturbed.

I thought I was going to enjoy the attack of the Bird Kobolds but the Burning Hands Wand soon put paid to my fun, particularly galling as I’d just got a nice critical on Mr. A. (Jim).

And then the Dragonkin Kobold on the stairs down- lovely, it put up a fight, why not have weaker Kobolds throughout and more boss type creatures, with more Hit Points.

That said they loved the Pod room, and torching it, a ‘that’s why we’re here’ moment.

Likewise the Kobold High Priestess’ fleshy chamber went down well, once again the fact that the Kobold Priestess was a major enemy was much appreciated- the player’s sense of achievement-ometer went up several notches. Ala’s coming good, the critical certainly left a smile on everyone’s face, except perhaps Miss E. (Bec), who once again fell foul of her terrible Saving Throw (Will -1).

The next fight went better for me, the Teleportation pillars were, as the players said later, ‘cheesy’, but they didn’t half shake them up, particularly when the second Dragonkin Kobold appeared behind them; Mr. A. (Jim) was right.

I’d also planted some seeds here, notes had been passed throughout the game, and e-mails sent out of game- Mrs. R. (Ala) was starting to crack- parts of the scenario’s plan were at least working. The scenario calls for a sense of paranoia, which wasn’t really getting through to the players. I’d primed Bec, Newt and Ala earlier and they’d got some nice role-playing in- setting up divisions within the party. The problem was the endless supply of Kobolds which produced long sessions of dice-rolling.

However this was the first time the group had elected to sleep in the spooky part of the scenario- and thus the dream sequence, the Gods intervene and send them a renewed sense of hope, and a Bless spell.

A little late in the day perhaps, they were all but finished, then again that’s probably the best time to do it.

And so the third session came to a close, and with the players feeling happier for the extra Hit Points and improved To Hit that comes at Level 2.

The fourth, and final, session started well with the slaying of the maddened Derro, this time Newt remembered about the crossbows and located some poisoned bolts- which would prove to be worth their weight in gold later.

The water room, sorry- blood tide chamber, was a bit too silly, and easily overcome- don’t go in there, shoot them. The Kobolds lead by a no-brain Barbarian fell into the players trap, and were destroyed, although Baraz, the leader, got in some good hits.

Which leaves the climax, which was either great or terrible, depending on which player you ask.

Mr. R. (Cas)- “Loved it.”
Mrs. R. (Ala)- “Same.”
Miss P. (Anya)- “Good-ish.”
Mr. W. (Newt)- “I hit once, when it mattered, and then never again- bloody dice.”
Miss E. (Bec)- “Oh great, I brained Ala.”
Mr. A. (Jim)- “Rubbish, I didn’t even get to see it until is was all over.”

And so Jim who passed his Will saving throw every time didn’t actually see what was going on in the room until it was all over. Cas and Ala on the other hand were in the mix from the very beginning, and Ala’s critical proved to be a fitting ending, particularly as she’d been brained by Bec- who didn’t enjoy the finale at all, for obvious reasons. Newt’s poisoned crossbow bolt reduced Tsathzar-Rho’s Strength score to ‘9’, without any Secondary Poison Damage being rolled, so it could have been worse. This reduced the creatures To Hit pluses dramatically making its death inevitable. Still that falls under the category of good play.

Overall there were some good bits however, the two trap rooms at the end, Teleporting Pillars and the Blood Tide were deemed silly, just plain daft, reminiscent of some of the bad dungeon features of 1st edition. Which is of course what the designer/writer was aiming for, probably. The Kobolds were a little too difficult, and felt unsatisfactory, particularly as there were so many of them. That said the leader types were always fun.

Perhaps my players are just whingers, perhaps I am too, regardless the scenario became repetitive in the middle section- and took too long to complete.

Next Turn: Grimbo

Remove ads