• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Greek New World is expanding

Do want rules to play characters with the blood of the Gods?

• I would love to play a demi-god in your setting.

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • I don't find playing a Demi-god in your setting at all appealing.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Make nymphs a PC race!

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Hey! Call the cerebric lovecrafting monsters of a tenticular persuasion what they are! Mindflayers!

Votes: 13 13.3%

Sir Elton

First Post
If you haven't seen my new Homebrew thread that is finally growing out my Finger Lakes thread, I'd like you to check it out. Leave a comment if you wish.

I'm ready to detail the Thinking Beings (i.e. player character races) that the players can play. I was going to detail them on paper while sunbathing today, but I found out that I wouldn't have one of my best friends with me as the sun was quickly covered by clouds.

After I detail the Thinking Beings comes Greek Culture, with all of it's good points and bad points (the classical scholars on this thread are probably going to be my worst critics, judging the reference works I'm working with: Age of Heroes Historical Reference, Greek Society, and SKR's Greek Campaign).

So vote on the above poll and state your feelings.

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
Sir Elton said:
So vote on the above poll and state your feelings.
I should have voted "make the nymph a PC race". IMO your setting shouldn't feature elves, dwarves or halflings. These are too much Tolkien flavored and detract the Ancient Greek ambiance. I wouldn't put elves as natives. Instead I would have nymphs and satyrs as natives. Now if you don't want to create specific races, it's easy to put elven racial traits on nymphs fluff. Likewise for stayrs using some gnome or half-orcs traits.

Also, don't forget centaurs... ;)

Sir Elton

First Post
Oh of course, how can I forget centaurs? :lol:

Alright, who is insulted by my alternate name for Mindflayers in order to get the WotC copyright lawyers off my back (who are having a good laugh at "lovecraftian cerebric monsters of a tenticular persausion" at my expense)?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Korybantes - Armoured dancers who venerated Rhea and helped save the baby Zeus from his father

Seleni - Horse hoofed (and eared) Satyrs

Bacchae - permenantly intoxicated madmen

Satyrs - halflings with goat legs

Nymphs - Hengyoku (sp) like Nature Spirits

Centaurs - take the Hercules Legendary Journeys approach

Ry

Explorer
I think Turanil has a really good point, and Tonguez's suggestions are really cool. Elves and Dwarves might be too much of a "safe harbor" for the players to fall back on, which could easily mean you end up playing D&D with a few guys wearing sandals rather than the highly distinctive game you seem to be going for.

Sir Elton

First Post
The thing is, everything I read about Satyrs is that they are *hypersexual* to say the least. They'd have to be a panty-raiding race; toning down what the Greeks actually said about them.

I took a look at the Nymph in the d20 system; though. And then the high elf in the EverQuack RPG. I can get away with using those stats, but I wonder if it will be acceptable, given that people are used to the Blinding Beauty ability.
:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads