The Green Knight

Argyle King

Legend
I enjoyed the movie, but (as I think someone else said) this is very much a movie about cinema as art.

The way that the story plays out has a bit of an indy-film vibe to it.

There are a lot of places at which I feel the story could have been a bit more coherent, but some of the vagueness is (I believe) part of what the people behind the film were trying to achieve. After the film ends, it's the type of film which will prompt a lot of discussion about what the various elements actually mean.

A lot of things were changed from the version(s) of the story I had read. I enjoyed the film for the experience that it was, but I went into it expecting a very different type of movie, and (despite enjoying what I watched) I feel as though I did not get quite what I paid for. ...which isn't to say it's bad; as said, I enjoyed it, but I believe that your enjoyment will hinge upon what type of movie you're hoping to see.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I enjoyed it more than my wife. It's an art movie. The photography, camera work and editing are very clever. Acting is great. There is nothing heroic about this tale. Nor it is an action movie. The pace is slowish. Every sequence is like a tableau. Everything is hyper controlled like an Antonioni or Kurosawa movie. If you like this kind of film, watching it a second time will probably be worth it.

Many scenes were too dark for my new 4K television. Some dialogue was barely audible or very hard to understand which diminished my enjoyment.

It's not comparable to Excalibur (1981), which remains my number one Arthurian movie despite the liberties taken.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I saw it in a movie theatre about two weeks ago.

The two people I was with really didn't enjoy it that much. It's a movie where a lot of efforts were put on the form. My father called it pretentiously artsy. But he does not enjoy that type of movie.

As @Marc_C mentioned, it's a very slow paced movie. Not much is explained. It's filled to the brim with references, symbolism and it takes a good deal of liberties with the source material.

However, it's absolutely gorgeous. I love what they did with the cinematography and audio design, it was a treat from start to finish in the theatre. I've had so many gorgeous compositions fixed in my mind.

All in all, I enjoyed it. I will watch it a second time in the future. But what I enjoyed most was how refreshing it was to see such a movie in theatre as opposed to the common fast-paced blockbuster.

Ryujin

Legend
I saw it in a movie theatre about two weeks ago.

The two people I was with really didn't enjoy it that much. It's a movie where a lot of efforts were put on the form. My father called it pretentiously artsy. But he does not enjoy that type of movie.

As @Marc_C mentioned, it's a very slow paced movie. Not much is explained. It's filled to the brim with references, symbolism and it takes a good deal of liberties with the source material.

However, it's absolutely gorgeous. I love what they did with the cinematography and audio design, it was a treat from start to finish in the theatre. I've had so many gorgeous compositions fixed in my mind.

All in all, I enjoyed it. I will watch it a second time in the future. But what I enjoyed most was how refreshing it was to see such a movie in theatre as opposed to the common fast-paced blockbuster.
If you have seen it, would you class it in a similar style to, say, "GATTACA" (slow and dramatic, with much emphasis put on cinematography)?

Remove ads