• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Guards at the Gate Quote

Iosue

Legend
In my opinion, there's something obviously wrong with giving objective advice on Fun that would actively hurt enjoyment for many players.
I agree, and I suspect just about everybody here would. I think the point of contention is whether Wyatt's statement qualifies as the above. First, I think we can largely agree that the overall point of that entire passage was, "Skip boring parts, go to fun parts." That's not bad advice. At least not advice that would hurt enjoyment for many players. Okay, so he is says, in the course of that, "An encounter with guards at a gate is not fun." I think we can generally all agree that the kind of encounter he's talking about is pure color and setting, not "adventure relevant". So, now we have Wyatt specifically advising people not to role play color/setting encounters with guards. Now the question is, how many are going to take that literally? As in, for the entire time they play 4e, they completely fast forward all "gate guard" scenarios. My guess is, probably not that many. But let's assume many do. Some will be folks who don't find that kind of color/setting roleplaying particularly interesting, so no fun ruined for them. Some will be folks who do find it interesting, and I think pemerton's point is that if folks do find that interesting, they will naturally put it in their game, even if they follow Wyatt to the letter and never do it with guards. So, I think it's highly unlikely they will miss out on a lot of fun.

Realistically, it was just one line out of a larger context on game pacing. I don't imagine any new DMs took that specific example to heart, much less literally. I can see a veteran player/DM just not liking the way the passage is written, as a subjective gut reaction. I don't share that reaction, but I can understand it. But I can't buy the passage, taken as part of the whole DMG, doing harm to newbie DMs, let alone that single line.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=6680772]Iosue[/MENTION], agreed (but can't XP you at this time).

And what I think Wyatt is really advising against is a phenomenon I've encountered, and one [MENTION=37277]Mercutio01[/MENTION] appears to have encountered (judging from posts upthread) and one I think that [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] has also encountered (if I remember previous threads correctly), namely, of GMs "forcing" players to play though pure colour/setting encounters.

I put "forcing" in inverted commas because the degree of force, in a roleplaying context, naturally is limited - it's overall a consensual activity. But with that qualification on how forceful the force is, this is a real phenomenon that I've encountered as a player, and I think advising against it is good advice.

If everyone at the table (not just the GM) is up for it, then it will happen regardless of Wyatt's advice to GMs - are GM's who have read Wyatt's DMG, including the stuff about knowing and responding to your players, and who have players expressing the desire to spend time on pure colour/setting encounters, really going to refuse to roleplay the guards, at least for a few minutes?

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Gygax never tried to tell me to leave something out of my game because it wasn't fun.

I'm sorry, but, have you actually read the AD&D DMG? Because EGG tells you all sorts of things that aren't fun. Acting in character, a la "amateur thespianism" is a good example of something that isn't fun according to EGG and should get kicked to the curb.

I'm sure others with much better knowledge of the AD&D DMG can find lots more quotes of things that I personally find enjoyable in RPG's being called unfun by Mr. Gygax.

-------------

At the risk of bringing up yet another touchy quote from WOTC, I have to think that if the most fun thing you did in your last gaming session was talk to a guard at the gate, your game is perhaps not as fun as it could be. Now, I could be totally off base here. Perhaps the guard was as entertaining as our mascot picture in this thread, a source of scintillating wit worthy of Oscar Wilde.

Maybe.

But, I'm more inclined to think maybe not.

And, really, think about the real world for a second. Think of the last time you went through a security check, maybe at an airport trying to fly out on holidays. Would you describe the experience as:

a) fun
b) exciting
c) interesting
d) somewhere in the vicinity of Purgatory and about as fun and interesting and exciting as watching paint dry

So, why would you think that the same experience in someone's fantasy game would be any different? Sure, if it's a three minute thing no problem - it adds color. But, as Pemerton mentioned above, I've played in way too many games where this scene could easily take an hour of game time.

No thanks.

Although, funnily enough, I just did a scene with a gate guard in our last D&D game. :D But, it was a planned encounter. It was the first session of a new campaign and I needed a way to introduce the characters and give the players a chance to describe themselves and establish a bit about their characters. So, entering the gate and having to talk to the guard solved that need and gave me a chance to inject a bit of local color at the same time.

And, it did take a bit of time. But, you can be guaranteed that it won't happen again. I will not force them to play through passing through the gate the next time. It will be hand waved and no problem. The encounter served its purpose.

So, I'm following Wyatt's advice. And, y'know what? It works pretty well. Skip the stuff that doesn't really matter and get to the meat. Maybe if I played longer sessions I might have a different opinion, but, I doubt it.

Like I said earlier, if the most interesting thing you did in last night's session was talk to the gate guard... well, if it's fun for you, go for it. But, I'd never advise a new player to follow in your footsteps.

BryonD

Hero
I'm sorry, but, have you actually read the AD&D DMG? Because EGG tells you all sorts of things that aren't fun. Acting in character, a la "amateur thespianism" is a good example of something that isn't fun according to EGG and should get kicked to the curb.

I'm sure others with much better knowledge of the AD&D DMG can find lots more quotes of things that I personally find enjoyable in RPG's being called unfun by Mr. Gygax.

I don't have a bunch of quotes at the ready, but you are absolutely correct that Mr. Gygax had all kinds of issues with "right and wrong" ways of playing. And it even gets to points that he seemed to contradict himself at times depending on the mood or target audience.

I say that with a ton of respect for the groundbreaking that Gary brought us.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
In 1980 odd D&D was very definitely still massively dominated by dungeon crawls. Compared to today there was comparatively little roleplaying, comparatively little urban or nature oriented adventures. Heck, most groups would never even find a town let alone a guard :).

I find your generalizations to be inaccurate.

However, if I only had the DMG for advice to go on, and I followed the advice that he gives there, I'd be missing out on a type of fun I find fundamentally improves the game for my group. So, in my mind, if advice on Fun actively hampers the Fun I'll be having, it's terrible advice. The logic seems simple to me.

Logically, if all you had was Wyatt's advice to go on and decided to follow his advice literally, you would miss out on a type of fun your group would enjoy. But since you wouldn't have the other formative experiences that shape what you like in a game today, you wouldn't realize the fun you're missing. Your game could still be 100% fun for your group, even if you omitted other types of fun.

LurkAway

First Post
After reading the 5E announcements and a focus on inclusivity, this now feels like kicking a dead horse.

tumblr_lswvxwRV8L1r1g40zo1_500.jpg

"Have you heard the news? There's a new mayor in town, and I might be fun again!"

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I'm probably also a bit more doubtful about the amount of "hurting enjoyment" that is going to follow, because (i) I think most of those whose enjoyment might be hurt will ignore it either from the get go, or in short order as they work their way through the game
As I said, I tend to look at the quality of advice from the perspective of "what would happen if I followed this?" and not "what would happen if I ignored this?" If I followed that advice, it'd actively hurt my fun (and a couple others in this thread), so I consider his fairly objective value statement on Fun pretty terrible. More on objectivity below. As always, play what you like :)

I agree, and I suspect just about everybody here would. I think the point of contention is whether Wyatt's statement qualifies as the above. First, I think we can largely agree that the overall point of that entire passage was, "Skip boring parts, go to fun parts." That's not bad advice. At least not advice that would hurt enjoyment for many players.
I agree that's what he's trying to get at, and I agree that it's pretty good advice. When asked about the OP, however, he says what's not fun (which is an objective value judgement on Fun).

Okay, so he is says, in the course of that, "An encounter with guards at a gate is not fun." I think we can generally all agree that the kind of encounter he's talking about is pure color and setting, not "adventure relevant". So, now we have Wyatt specifically advising people not to role play color/setting encounters with guards.
This also assumes a play style of "going from adventure to adventure." My players are currently in a sandbox, and interacting with the setting is extremely important to our style (I've made two posts in this thread where the players spent time engaging in activity in the setting when there was nothing on the line whatsoever, and they did so proactively).

I have no objection to him saying "here is this style of play, and here's what works for it." I do object to him saying "play in this style; this style isn't fun. Skip it."

Now the question is, how many are going to take that literally? As in, for the entire time they play 4e, they completely fast forward all "gate guard" scenarios. My guess is, probably not that many.
I'd posit that you don't need to take it literally for it to actively harm fun. He's saying the play style that includes interacting with the setting / color just for the fun of it isn't Fun, and that you shouldn't do it. If we're not taking him literally (he's not talking about only gate guards), then that's what he means by those examples. "There's nothing on the line, so it's not fun; skip it and get to a place where something is on the line, where dice will get rolled, where the Fun is!"

I just can't disagree enough with this being seen as good or even mediocre advice.

But let's assume many do. Some will be folks who don't find that kind of color/setting roleplaying particularly interesting, so no fun ruined for them. Some will be folks who do find it interesting, and I think pemerton's point is that if folks do find that interesting, they will naturally put it in their game, even if they follow Wyatt to the letter and never do it with guards. So, I think it's highly unlikely they will miss out on a lot of fun.
I just can't accept this line of reasoning. It's "if it applies, it'll help the game and it's good, and if it doesn't, it'll get ignored, so it's not bad." That doesn't line up, to me.

If I say "cut all ties to everyone you care about and you'll find contentment" then my advice is pretty terrible for everyone that it would actively hurt. Which would be many, many people. We judge the quality of advice on what it would do if we followed it, and I find applying that to one group and not the group that it would hurt to be... misleading, I guess.

There's a difference between harmless advice and terrible advice. They are by no means mutually exclusive, however.

Realistically, it was just one line out of a larger context on game pacing. I don't imagine any new DMs took that specific example to heart, much less literally. I can see a veteran player/DM just not liking the way the passage is written, as a subjective gut reaction. I don't share that reaction, but I can understand it. But I can't buy the passage, taken as part of the whole DMG, doing harm to newbie DMs, let alone that single line.
Again, I don't know who's asserted that it's greatly harming new DMs. I'm saying that if followed, it'll hurt many groups have a more enjoyable experience. I'm saying that it hedges into "terrible advice" territory when the advice is laid out as an objective view on fun ("this play style is bad [interacting with the setting / color for the fun of it], skip to this style, where it's fun!").

So, I'm not trying to convince you that it's hurting a lot of new players. I'm saying -in response to the OP asking how the advice is objectionable- that it's terrible advice because of what it is on its face. As always, play what you like :)

And, really, think about the real world for a second. Think of the last time you went through a security check, maybe at an airport trying to fly out on holidays. Would you describe the experience as:

a) fun
b) exciting
c) interesting
d) somewhere in the vicinity of Purgatory and about as fun and interesting and exciting as watching paint dry
To be fair, most people wouldn't consider fighting for their lives as a lot of fun, either. Or killing people. Or losing. All of these things are valued in D&D, and in RPGs in general.

So, I'm following Wyatt's advice. And, y'know what? It works pretty well. Skip the stuff that doesn't really matter and get to the meat. Maybe if I played longer sessions I might have a different opinion, but, I doubt it.

Like I said earlier, if the most interesting thing you did in last night's session was talk to the gate guard... well, if it's fun for you, go for it. But, I'd never advise a new player to follow in your footsteps.
I don't think anybody here has said that it won't be fun for any groups (or even many groups). I'm glad following the advice works for you. I'm also positive that, on average, new players would very much enjoy my game, and my play style, as every new player has enjoyed it quite immensely (again, I've never had a player leave because of it, and I've kicked a few out).

I'd think that making an objective value judgement on how to achieve Fun not being in the DMG should be base. Saying, "many people find this style fun, and this is what we'd suggest" is fine. Saying, "this style is fun, play it; this style of fun isn't fun, skip it" is not fine, in my opinion. It's fairly inexcusable. As always, play what you like :)

Logically, if all you had was Wyatt's advice to go on and decided to follow his advice literally, you would miss out on a type of fun your group would enjoy. But since you wouldn't have the other formative experiences that shape what you like in a game today, you wouldn't realize the fun you're missing. Your game could still be 100% fun for your group, even if you omitted other types of fun.
... is that really a defense? If a child gets to play with string because he has some fun, but is never introduced to playing outside and getting dirty, riding a bike, playing with other kids, video games, or any recreational activity, it's fine, because he doesn't know better? Especially if my reasoning to all children is "don't do those things, because they're not fun"?

It's a pretty extreme example that is certainly filled with hyperbole (the "string = situation-focused play" is certainly unfair), but that's kind of the point: don't say one style is Fun, and these styles aren't. You'll be wrong to many people. Saying, "well, they wouldn't know any better anyways" is laughable reasoning, to me (I do apologize for saying your line of thought is "laughable", but I find no better word describes it).

You shouldn't be told what isn't Fun. There's really no excuse to say that. As always, play what you like :)

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
tumblr_lswvxwRV8L1r1g40zo1_500.jpg

5e is going to be all about us Gate Guards - we're putting the jacuzzi right over there.

5th Edition: Guards at the Gates.

The Auld Grump, Guards & Gatehouses? Advanced G&G?

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
There's now been 50+ posts on this thread where I've been dinged by "Must spread XP..." - including the last 3 posts. Well done guys! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads