D&D (2024) The Half Orc. Are they still needed?

Chaosmancer

Legend
So we had a discussion and came up with the idea that orcs are probably largely vegetarian.

Those big, strong manly jaws are usually a sign of something built for bite force suitable for crushing grains and nuts and probably housing powerful, coarse plant grinding molars similar to those of real life Swole Humanoid, P.Bosei.

This is even supported by some world building as whenever orcs aren't just rank and file things to kill, they are usually farmers without seeming to perform animal husbandry.

I think this was almost the exact idea used by Dominic Deegan, Oracle for Hire. Excellent series, good world-building, and I always enjoyed that take on orcs. Because I can't think of a single carnivorous animal that has tusks (pigs and walruses are omnivores)

My friends that are clearly both part of, and ignored by, both 'races' of their parents absolutely love the half-orc. It helps them feel like themselves, with a foot in both worlds. Telling such a person that they're really just an orc doesn't enable their story - it ends it.
This. Multiple times over.

As several posters have indicated, no races are really needed. So the question becomes, why remove them?

If the issue is simply space, remove Stoutheart halflings (what’s the difference with Lightfoots again?), Mountain Dwarves (same) and 3 subraces of elves first.

Rather ironically, forest gnomes and rock gnomes are sufficiently different that you could probably keep both.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
So we had a discussion and came up with the idea that orcs are probably largely vegetarian.

Those big, strong manly jaws are usually a sign of something built for bite force suitable for crushing grains and nuts and probably housing powerful, coarse plant grinding molars similar to those of real life Swole Humanoid, P.Bosei.

This is even supported by some world building as whenever orcs aren't just rank and file things to kill, they are usually farmers without seeming to perform animal husbandry.
given they used to look like pigs this would make too much sense, they might have a socal structure far more similar to gorillas mixed with boars.
I like this. I my head cannon elves are big meat eaters. They really don't do agriculture as we do but more forestry management. They remove trees to ensure there is good grazing on the forest floor for animals they hunt and that nut/berry bearing bushes can thrive.
what is the probability those elves are not just the preditor but bless much better in the look department?
They look pretty good at cracking bones to get to the sweet, sweet marrow. But orc herbivores sounds hilarious so I'm going to go with that.
tusk are not really needed for getting to marrow if you have hands, more likely some strange fighting or mating thing like the bird with the eye tails.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I like this. I my head cannon elves are big meat eaters. They really don't do agriculture as we do but more forestry management. They remove trees to ensure there is good grazing on the forest floor for animals they hunt and that nut/berry bearing bushes can thrive.
I do the same, only they're clearly evolved from arboreal predators in my world. Due to being climbers and brachiators, elves also develop the classic superhero V shape too. And because they live in fruit-bearing trees, they've come to develop a cuisine full of meat in sweet sauces.
Definitely this.

We're talking CR 8, sentient plants, though. Right?
Those too.

I've got plants that launch their seeds as bullets, flowers they poison you for walking on them, then send roots up into you when you collapse, and also eucalyptus trees, which are dangerous enough already.

All good eating with mama orc's secret walnut catsup*.

*was a real thing. Tomato ketchup is the new, weird version of a very old sauce.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter

There are peaceful Orcs in the Forgotten Realms who are just that, farmers, and no different than any other rural country folk.

Vaalingrade

Legend
They look pretty good at cracking bones to get to the sweet, sweet marrow. But orc herbivores sounds hilarious so I'm going to go with that.
Going off bone-crushing dogs and hyenas, they would need a longer snout for leverage.

Granted, no tool-user needs to be a bone crusher, as boiling bones gets marrow more efficiently.

On a related note, I miss the little dude in a grad cap with a pointer smilie that was on the old WotC boards.

Reynard

Legend
As several posters have indicated, no races are really needed. So the question becomes, why remove them?

If the issue is simply space, remove Stoutheart halflings (what’s the difference with Lightfoots again?), Mountain Dwarves (same) and 3 subraces of elves first.

Rather ironically, forest gnomes and rock gnomes are sufficiently different that you could probably keep both.
Looks like someone has been paid for by Big Gnome...

In my homebrew world, elves are creatures of elemental wood. They produce their food through photosynthesis, eating meat for nutrients because they aren't rooted.

Elf.png

Remove ads