The Heretic of Wyre - Part II

Jeremy

Explorer
Sagiro said:
Sepulchrave, I have just now come to the end of your story posts to date, and am filled with unhappiness on several counts:

- You have made me ashamed for my own Story Hour. Before the past few days, I was fairly well satisfied with it. Now I see it as pedestrian at best and adolescent at worst.

- I now have to wait days or weeks (rather than minutes or hours) for the next installment.

- Reading other works of fantasy literature will seem like an annoying let-down, with substandard characters and shoddy word-smithing.

I don’t know that I can add anything meaningful to the chorus of praise already being sung, but I have to make this plea in good conscience: make sure everything you’ve written is properly copyrighted, and contact the fantasy literature division of WotC/Hasbro. (Because you could keep the D&D references and flavor that is so thoroughly integrated into the story.) Write up a cover letter and proposal, along with some selected bits of this Story Hour cleaned up for presentation. Send it to them. Let them see that you have characters and dialogue superior to 90% of what sits on the shelves in Barnes & Noble.

By your own admission you have some 100,000 words already committed to print – there is a novel here, waiting, however you may dissemble about your own organizational skills or the pacing of the narrative. I know I have no right to dictate to anyone how they spend their time or creative energies. And I won’t say that it would be a crime for you to deny your skills to a wider audience than our community here.

But that’s what I’m thinking.

Sepulchrave, thanks for a wonderful piece of literature. Please don't stop.

-Sagiro

Amen brudda.

Avarice

First Post
thallone said:
You could just ask someone for a compilation in word. Avarice keeps a nice one.

True enough. If anyone would like a copy, just drop me a line.

Of course, if you'd rather I'd cease and desist Sep, I'd certainly understand. As long as you're agreeable, though, I'd like to continue to do my part to spread the addiction. Its just way too good not to share. :D

Once again, my humble thanks for sharing this story with us, though my thanks are hardly sufficient. I'd much rather compensate you monetarily, say, by buying this in book form. Listen to Sagiro; he knows of what he speaks. :)

grodog

Hero
Word .doc comparisions?

Hey Aravice---

Does your Word .doc include the various informational/clarification posts from Sep, or just the core stories?

Just checking: I've been saving both in the same .doc, along with the NPCs from the Rogues Gallery, and thought I'd see about your methodolog....

Oh yeah: bump :D

grodog

Hero
Sep's Literary influence

So, in addition to Vance, Sep apparently is a fan of Tolkien, per Morrus' main update today about Middle Earth d20. What other influences do we know about (I can't recall if we've discussed much non-Vancian influence besides Blake)?

Avarice

First Post
Re: Word .doc comparisions?

grodog said:
Hey Aravice---

Does your Word .doc include the various informational/clarification posts from Sep, or just the core stories?

Just checking: I've been saving both in the same .doc, along with the NPCs from the Rogues Gallery, and thought I'd see about your methodolog....

Oh yeah: bump :D

Nope, I'm afraid you've got me there, grodog. I've only included the updates themselves, in order to keep the page count down. Even so, its up around 150 pages. I've been thinking about going back through and accumulating all of the clarifications in a separate doc; a task for another day, I guess.

Axeboy

First Post
Whoa, now!

Sagiro said:

- You have made me ashamed for my own Story Hour. Before the past few days, I was fairly well satisfied with it. Now I see it as pedestrian at best and adolescent at worst.

-Sagiro

Whoa, now! Let's not be hasty here. I'm sure that this is just one of those over-harsh self-criticisms intelligent/creative people are prone to, but for my money, Sagiro's story hour is one of the best examples of a long-story-arc campaign I've ever seen (similar to the old Slaver's/Giants/Drow classic campagin, but much more subtle and with more other stuff going on in the world). Besides, Sep's is written more like a novel and Sagiro's more like an adventuring journal, so there's a *big* stylistic difference.

I think of Sagiro's story hour (and PC's, for that matter) being more like a 'how-to' example for DMing most gamers: Sagiro does the long story arc masterfully, PC does the more episodic style of play equally masterfully, and both have a knack for making interesting encounters and tooling with the 3E rules to make some nifty in-combat challenges for high-level pc's. Sep, on the other hand, has tailored his game to deeper themes for his somewhat more mature players (or, at least, that's the impression I get, no offense to the players of the Defenders/Abernathy's Company).

Too, I think Sep's is more like a collaborative story, where Sagiro's and PC's are more like the DM coming up with cool ways to challenge the characters; I don't see anyone referring to Sep as a RBDM, for example...

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
No, though Nwn's use of Atonement got him nominated for RBP. And his raid of the high chapel in Morne along with his raid of the encamped army probably added to that title.

Not to mention some of Mostin's antics...

Nope, no RBDM's here. Very skilled and very well attuned DM by the looks of it as to what is fun and what works. As well as all the other astoundingly intricate backstory and plot innerworkings...

Only find-bad-guy-splat-bad-guy gaming involved a certain cambion necromancer.

Different gaming styles, both with much to aspire to.

Remove ads