• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Heretic of Wyre

Jeremy

Explorer
Attack? What attack? :D

I must say, that if I were part of a mid to low level attack (feint?) expecting reprisal from at least Nwn the Destroyer and Eadric the Fallen, I'd have one hell of an offensive cooked up for them as soon as they were in range. Might not be on the level of Fire Storms and Storms of Vengeance, but on skirmish terms those spells might not work quite as well as simply concentrating mid-level firepower on a target at a time.

Hats off to whomever whipped out the Banishment for the quick thinking.

Of all the times to be very uncreative and to come exactly as expected... Even sending a few summoned allies first to expend initial firepower and buffs might have saved some casualties. But I guess when you see your retainers smoldering instead of soldiers and you are flying next to the guy who routed the army solo, and you really haven't tasted much physical defeat lately, you simply wade in and do what needs to be done.

But unfortunately, not a good day to be "unimaginative".

Mostin the Metagnostic to the rescue(?).

Artoomis

First Post
I don't usually post in Story Hours so that the story doesn't get all broken up by posts in the middle but....

Wow!

More, please...

Pretty please...

Aw, c'mon, plllllleeeeeeaaaaasssssse!!

artesan

First Post
Long time Lurker here. My meagre vocabulary and writing skills handicap my ability to express what joy, excitement and suspense I feel each time I read one of Sep's updates.

I trully am in awe. Please update now! :(

Green Knight

First Post
Damn. Here I was waiting for Sepulchrave to start his new story hour when all this time The Heretic of Wyre was still going!

Great updates, as always! :) Can't wait to see Mostin in action, and find out where Nehael was banished to. Not to mention what'll happen next to Fezuu.

BTW: Can someone explain this to me. What IS an Inevitable? (Note: If they're from Manual of the Planes, I don't have it)

Talaysen

First Post
Green Knight said:
Damn. Here I was waiting for Sepulchrave to start his new story hour when all this time The Heretic of Wyre was still going!

Great updates, as always! :) Can't wait to see Mostin in action, and find out where Nehael was banished to. Not to mention what'll happen next to Fezuu.

BTW: Can someone explain this to me. What IS an Inevitable? (Note: If they're from Manual of the Planes, I don't have it)

They're from Manual of the Planes. Basically they're relatively powerful constructs from the plane of Mechanus who fight crime. Well, not really, but they DO enforce the principles of law. Three types, all lawful neutral, each with their own mission, CRs 9, 12, and 15, respectively. The inevitables introduced by Sepulchrave were zelekhuts, centauroid winged constructs who hunt down those who deny justice by attempting to flee to escape it (the example given in MotP), probably those who try to cheat the system, etc. The more powerful inevitables go after those who break oaths (in the case of the kolyaruts) and those who attempt to cheat death through unnatural means such as lichdom (in the case of the maruts).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Curia sent some kolyaruts after Eadric and gang in a bit - after all, one could argue that he broke his vows to the church proper. They're also nastier and thus more fun. Maruts would probably be hard for them to invoke legitimately; then again, they may have some way of binding inevitables to their will, and not just summoning them.

All in all, some very interesting developments. I daresay Sepulchrave's campaign can teach many a lesson to your average DM.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Inevitables.jpg

Theres a picture, think Mordron, but turn the lawful up to 11.

Ryan Koppenhaver

First Post
Talaysen said:

The inevitables introduced by Sepulchrave were zelekhuts, centauroid winged constructs who hunt down those who deny justice by attempting to flee to escape it (the example given in MotP), probably those who try to cheat the system, etc. The more powerful inevitables go after those who break oaths (in the case of the kolyaruts) and those who attempt to cheat death through unnatural means such as lichdom (in the case of the maruts).

Actually the four inevitables on the ramparts that were invisible until they fired enervation rays at Nwm were presumably kolyaruts. Nasty critters, them.

Of course, that still leaves four constructs unaccounted for, of the 16 that Nwm sensed.

Sep, you rock. *evil grin of anticipation*

Last edited:

Suldulin

First Post
*wincing* ouch, that had to hurt

*hoping nehael was sent to either celestia or whatever plane uedii(sp?) is on(beastlands?), anywhere save the abyss* :(

p.s. whoever was passing out the compiled story hour send me a copy in e-mail please :D

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I'm really worried about Nehael. I hope that Mostin gets a chance to summon her back from wherever she went.

But that's only if they get to safety. If orthodox clerics wind-walk after the fleeing adventurers, carrying those nasty scrolls with 'em, they might not be able to escape. That's what would probably happen if Mostin hadn't arrived on the scene. If Mostin kicks enough butt, then maybe they won't pursue.

Mind you, then we get to discover how the Great Injunction gets enforced. <eg>

-Cheiromancer

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Re: THE DEBACLE

Sepulchrave II said:
Things are very, very nearly up to date...

"Dammit," the Alienist said. He cast 'fly' upon himself, stepped through the mirror, and acted in contempt of the Great Injunction.

Goes to show you that party ties go beyond any other!
Glad Mostin is now going to lay the Smack Down! Cover your ears!

Remove ads