• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Heretic of Wyre

Green Knight

First Post
Just for you, GK, to save your ailing mouse finger. This will be the last post on this thread.

Thanks a bunch, Sep! :)

Mostin appeared directly in front of the wounded Nwm, still in his eagle form, although appearing increasingly insubstantial. The Druid screeched in surprise – Mostin was still in his guise of a Thalassine sellsword.

"It’s me you idiot, relax," his condescension was unmistakable, but Mostin was shaking – Nwm was in the form of… a bird.

The Alienist touched him with an expression of revulsion on his face, and Nwm was instantly ‘teleported’ to his glade, three miles distant.*

And you Erinyes should change your wings to bat wings – I find your feathery forms distasteful. Execute!

"You will," said Eadric.

"I won’t," said Mostin.

"Yes."

"No."

"There is no danger involved, I assure you," the Paladin assured him.

"You have no idea what you’re asking."

"This is an irrational phobia, Mostin," Eadric persisted.

"Of course it’s irrational. It wouldn’t be a phobia, otherwise, would it?" The Alienist retorted.

"It’s not as if they are actually birds," Eadric said. "You don’t even have to look. Just cast the spell, and I’ll deal with the rest."

"Very well," he said. He turned to look at Mostin. "I would advise you against the further summoning of devils," he said. "It will eventually corrupt you."

Mostin quaked.

LMAO! Hehehe. Who knew that anyone could get so much play out of a feather phobia? :D

Form, in the traditional sense of the word, was not a characteristic that could be meaningfully ascribed to him. It was not that he possessed or did not possess it, more that the quality of ‘Form-ness’ was an inadequate paradigm through which he could be understood.

His shadow, they often sang, was brighter than the Sun. It was metaphorical, of course, because there was no source of light brighter than him. Nothing could cause him to cast a shadow.

Amongst the millions who basked in his presence, one, called Eniin, felt an impulse akin to a tugging. In less than an instant, he related the information to his master who, naturally, already knew.

GO

The Bright God commanded.

Eniin bowed and vanished.

Loved that description!

Eniin stepped forwards from the diagram, and towered above them all. His perfect form radiated peace, power, and profound certainty. He knelt in front of Eadric.

"Instruct me," the Planetar said.

"Nwm needs healing," Eadric said simply. "We need some help dealing with some Inevitables. I would appreciate it if you spoke with some Templars and demonstrated the error of their ways to them."

"The latter is Rintrah’s purview," Eniin said. "I am not permitted to intervene in the course of events that Lord Oronthon has prescribed."

That was also very cool. So Rintrah is a Gabriel type?

Great update all around. Can't wait for the next one. :)

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
One of these days I'm going to have to do a count of how many posts in this thread contain the word "wow"

One more

WOW!

madriel

First Post
Every time I think this story can't possibly get any better...it does.

What are the powers of Mostin's amulet?

So Mostin just popped in, casually retrieved Nehael and dumped her in his study? What level are the characters now?

Sammael99

First Post
For the Record

Just before the new thread starts, I just wanted to say this :

Sepulchrave, this story hour got me back to reading Jack Vance's Dying Earth stuff. I also investigated the Dying Earth RPG (very nice) and am in the processing of Vancianizing all the wizard spellnames from the PHB. Honestly, isn't "Phandaal's Mantle of Stealth" a lot more fun than "Invisibility" ?

It also got me thinking about high level magic. I love the way wizards trade formulas in your campaign, so I'm trying to emulate it. When the wizard in my group reaches Lvl 10 (roughly) he will be invited to join a Conclave of wizards, which should be fun...

So Rintrah is a Gabriel type?

Yep. He's responsible for mortal revelations.

What are the powers of Mostin's amulet?

So Mostin just popped in, casually retrieved Nehael and dumped her in his study? What level are the characters now?

Mostins amulet has identical powers to a Rod of Absorption. He is 16th level. The Looking Glass of Urm-Nahat is a Mirror of Mental Prowess, and I advise thinking very carefully before you allow one into your game.

The others are 16th-18th level.

Sepulchrave, this story hour got me back to reading Jack Vance's Dying Earth stuff. I also investigated the Dying Earth RPG (very nice) and am in the processing of Vancianizing all the wizard spellnames from the PHB.

I've seen the Freebie Dying Earth RPG (its available in PDF somewhere on the net), although I've not looked over the full version. My first impressions were that it is excellent - the work of dedicated, professional Vance-freaks.

Somewhere out there online there is also a random spell name generator for Vancian magic. Some are good, some bad. 500 new names are generated every 15 minutes. I don't have the link, but its pretty easy to find.

I'd like to look the Lyonesse RPG over, but, unfortunately, my schoolboy French isn't up to the task...

Finally:

I'm beginning a new thread, as this one is starting to get a little cluttered.

It is, predictably and completely unimaginatively, called 'The Heretic of Wyre - Part 2.'

Remove ads