The Heroes of Winterhaven - updated 8th June - Ryam Plays Dice

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Well, sadly it looks as though this campaign is coming to an end within a month's time, at the climax of Thunderspire Labyrinth, due to a change in my personal circumstances.

However, I'm going to be running a new weekly campaign with a new group, so fingers crossed I can pick up a new Story Hour from that.

Thanks for reading, all.

Falstyr

First Post

As a side note, I can see that people are reading this SH, and I'd really appreciate some feedback. What do you like? What don't you like? Who's your favourite character? All comments welcome!

I read, because it is interesting to see how other groups go through KoTS.
What I like is the writing style. What is mildly annoying is the change of names...
Creegan = Keegan
Parraig = Padraig
Baphomet = Bahamut
even Splug gets different names in your adventure like Splunk :p
Little things like that

So far on page 3 so can't say much further.

Personally I'm not a fan of groups larger then 4-5 because it stretches mechanics. Larger groups also diminish overall fun imho

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Some of those name changes were forced on us (with there being enough football fans having the undead Knight called Sir Keegan only brought up memories of former Newcastle player and manager Kevin Keegan) and I couldn't pronounce Padraig so spelled it Parrag.

The Splug / Splunk thing was an in-joke. :)

Not sure about the Baphomet / Bahamut thing or where it came in, that just might be a mistype.

Thanks for reading, though! We had the final session of the campaign last night, funnily enough, which went well. The game is on a final indefinite hiatus as I'm no longer able to put the time in for it due to a change of circumstances, but who knows, maybe one day we'll pick it up.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I put this in the final email out to the group about the game:

Mathew_Freeman said:
Another neat little idea that I’ve had would be for everyone to write a short “what happened next” for their characters – imagine that as the credits roll on the film adaptation you see each character’s picture with a short paragraph overlaid summing up the rest of their life. Make ‘em as funny or as serious as you like!

This is what they came up with:

JC said:
As for Des, I can see a final screen-shot of him as a disgraceful old hippy guru, who's written a successful series of self-help books and pop philosophy texts. He goes on frequent lecture tours. And the author bio only hints at his past exploits, although rumours still abound, especially when people detect a certain sadness when people challenge him about the glory of war, or when he goes on his occasional and "secret" get-togethers with that strange and disparate group from far away...

Aran_Thule said:
Aran continued adventuring with his friends but as the party drifted apart he headed off by himself, following rumours and searching new lands.

Eventually his journeys led him to other planes, new wonders to see and new drinks to try, he continued helping those in need and causing trouble to any that deserved it.

Finally his exploration reached its peak and he found a way to access the corridor of worlds allowing him to travel anywhere with great ease, with this knowledge he ventured back to lands he had traveled and made trade deals with thoose he had befriended.

Soon after a tavern appeared (called The Crystal Fish)which stocked the biggest selection of the best drinks (and some of the worst) from throughout the world (and other worlds and planes).

Martin said:
As for Waylander, I see him pursuing a long journey trying to recover information about his past and his relationship with the Horizon syndicate while he continues to work with them. He'd keep in touch with the sapling Fangorn of course and make sure the hearthstone was kept safe and hidden. He'd also maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with Gendar from the Seven Pillared Hall and they'd grow to become wary friends over the years. Eventually though, Gendar gets a bit greedy and double crosses the syndicate, who send Waylander to avenge the theft.

Gendar provides a good chase but eventually they meet in the depths of the Underdark. The duel is long and terrible and both are near death by the end. Munnin, Waylander's familiar, is cackling with joy at the thought of finally collecting his 'master's' soul. Waylander, his art exhausted, slumps against the wall as Gendar lunges in for the killing blow, but he just manages to get off a single final shot from his trusty crossbow. Gendar's blow however was aimed at Munnin, the Abyssal Raven who ensnared the young Rogue Waylander centuries ago, who lost in his glee was capering too close to the fight.

The spells of unravelling wrought around the blade break the curse binding Waylander to Munnin, whose memories come flooding back as Munnin's shrieking death throes shatter the very rocks around them.

Gendar collapses to the ground with a wry smile, pierced by Waylanders last crossbow bolt.
A still dazed Wayander looks across at the dying Gendar as he tries to make sense of the memories flooding into his brain, saying "Why?"

"Seemed the least I could do under the circumstances really" Gendar replies. "After all, I sold you the cursed scroll in the first place all those years ago! Nice shot by the way, I knew you'd make good use of my old crossbow. Do me a favour though, eh son, don't go on some forsaken revenge mission against those Syndicate bastards will you? Write to that dodgy Eladrin Paladin mate of yours, whathisname, Elwanen, and leave it to him. He was pretty good at smiting I seem to recall. The theft you were sent here to avenge was the evidence I've pulled together over the years proving just how far the syndicate has succeeded in penetrating the ranks of the high and mighty round here. Just promise me you'll find yourself a nice girl. Take a leaf out of that cheerful halfling chap's book and enjoy your life - with Munnin dead, it finally belongs to you now."

As or when I get any more of these, I'll post them here.

Remove ads