• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Immortals Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

historian

First Post
I'm glad you liked the class. I wrote it because I thought it would be a good idea to develop, not because I had any characters going down that path -- but once I wrote it, two of the players told me they were interested!

Oh, and we should probably post on that thread so as to not further sully the IH thread.

I liked it very much and will post a few 'class specific' comments in a bit on the thread designated to it.

It's definitely the type of thing that I envision being employed in the context of an Immortals campaign in any number of ways.

Aside from reading various incarnations of the IH thread, I initially became interested in the whole transcending alignment bit when contemplating how to convert Excrucians (and their 'father' Harumaph) from Nobilis lore to d20.

Hi all! :)

Just wanted to comment that in finalising the feats/powers chapter I have decided I will be revising a few WotC feats.

1. Toughness (and by extension Epic Toughness): +1 hp/HD or Level

Epic

2. Damage Reduction: DR 2/-
3. Fast Healing: +2 hp/round
4. Great Smiting: no longer stacks (though it can be increased again with a Divine Ability)
5. Multispell: just a clarification that all Quickened spells are simultaneous, so you can't teleport in, attack and teleport out all in the one go.

Any comments?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Interesting. I never saw the Fast Healing as overly powerful, but I suppose I'll look into the issue if you think it's too good as is.

Any news on the new Meta Gifts in the IH? Is there any chance of you posting the names of the first 12 (or even 32 ;) ) Meta Gifts?

Drow Jones

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hi all! :)

Just wanted to comment that in finalising the feats/powers chapter I have decided I will be revising a few WotC feats.

<snip>

5. Multispell: just a clarification that all Quickened spells are simultaneous, so you can't teleport in, attack and teleport out all in the one go.

Any comments?
Hi UK,

This is a deviation from the normal rules, which assume that you can take different actions in whatever order you want to. You need to word this rule so that it does not contradict this.

For example:
"When using the free action to cast a quickened spell, you can cast more than one quickened spell simultaneously 'during' this free action. All spells cast using multispell must be quickened. You cannot use more than one free action to cast quickened spells during one round."

... or something more elegant. :)

If this was already the way you were going to implement your change, feel free to ignore the above. :D

- DJ

Hiya mate! :)

CRGreathouse said:
Interesting. I never saw the Fast Healing as overly powerful, but I suppose I'll look into the issue if you think it's too good as is.

I just prefer defensive and offensive capabilities to be balanced against each other. Stops things from getting out of hand at higher levels.

That said, I may change my mind about Damage Reduction and Fast Healing.

CRGreathouse said:
Any news on the new Meta Gifts in the IH? Is there any chance of you posting the names of the first 12 (or even 32 ;) ) Meta Gifts?

Do you mean the Metempiric Abilities (the ones beyond Omnific)?

If so there are only 8 of them.

Drow Jones said:

Hi Drow Jones mate! :)

Drow Jones said:
This is a deviation from the normal rules, which assume that you can take different actions in whatever order you want to. You need to word this rule so that it does not contradict this.

For example:
"When using the free action to cast a quickened spell, you can cast more than one quickened spell simultaneously 'during' this free action. All spells cast using multispell must be quickened. You cannot use more than one free action to cast quickened spells during one round."

... or something more elegant. :)

If this was already the way you were going to implement your change, feel free to ignore the above. :D

Hey thanks, I appreciate the help mate. It wasn't the exact text I previously posted though. ;)

I think this solves the problem with Multispell to some degree, anyone have reservations about it?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Upper_Krust said:
That said, I may change my mind about Damage Reduction and Fast Healing.

I have trouble seeing the feats, as written, as equal. The first point of fast healing may well be better than the first point of damage reduction, because of out-of-combat benefits, but beyond that Damage Reduction is, IMO, much better. If you take 4 hits a round then that's 12 damage reduced. The abilities would only be of equal value if you averaged only one hit per round -- and still, with Fast Healing you're at more risk for dying from a single blow (since DR stops the damage completely). For example comparing characters with DR 21/-- and fast healing 21, both at a low number of hit points (say 10), a single 25-point hit would kill the one with fast healing but not DR.

Upper_Krust said:
Do you mean the Metempiric Abilities (the ones beyond Omnific)?

If so there are only 8 of them.

No, I meant the epic feats. You revealed the names of the first quarter of the Divine Gifts so I wondered...

...OK, so that's too much to ask for, but I thought it might spark some discussion.

How about this question instead:
I have a Divine Rank 20 (since you don't use DvRs, call it a 'near-sidereal greater deity') goddess who is concerned with Time. She wants power over this sphere, but in my cosmology she can't really do much with it as a Greater Goddess. When she achieves her current goal and 'ascends' to gain a Divine Rank, she'll go beyond mortal concern (she's nearly there already) and get the power she desires over Time.

Could this be modeled? How? Would I need to create new Gifts/Portfolios/Etc, or perhaps remove existing ones to make her power beyond the reach of a Greater God?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Upper_Krust said:
I think this solves the problem with Multispell to some degree, anyone have reservations about it?

I think it's good, though I'd make minor changes:

"If you have the Multispell epic feat, you can cast more than one quickened spell simultaneously in a single free action. You cannot use more than one free action to cast quickened spells during a round. (This effectively makes all of your Quickened spells simultaneous.)"

Sledge

First Post
I have a real problem with the idea of multispell being "simultaneous". I think that the implication that the caster is actually casting multiple spells simultaneously defeats the need for Quicken spell. If multispell is just simultaneous casting why even need Quickened for it. Why not let it affect normal spells? I think that if you want to keep it from becoming abusive (And I do have an epic character that has taken all 3 auto quickens and has just taken his first multispell.) there are better ways. Change the mechanic of teleport or something else so that it takes a moment to reorient. If hit and run is the real problem then fix that not multispell.

Hi CRGreathouse mate! :)

CRGreathouse said:
I have trouble seeing the feats, as written, as equal. The first point of fast healing may well be better than the first point of damage reduction, because of out-of-combat benefits, but beyond that Damage Reduction is, IMO, much better. If you take 4 hits a round then that's 12 damage reduced. The abilities would only be of equal value if you averaged only one hit per round -- and still, with Fast Healing you're at more risk for dying from a single blow (since DR stops the damage completely). For example comparing characters with DR 21/-- and fast healing 21, both at a low number of hit points (say 10), a single 25-point hit would kill the one with fast healing but not DR.

Agreed. I may change the initial Fast Healing ability into a Divine Ability.

What about this idea.

Taking the Fast Healing Divine Ability gets you Fast Healing 1
Taking Improved Fast Healing* Cosmic (maybe?) Ability gets you Fast Healing = HD/Levels

*I may change the name, that was on the spur of the moment. ;)

That would simplify things a bit though I think..

CRGreathouse said:
No, I meant the epic feats. You revealed the names of the first quarter of the Divine Gifts so I wondered...

...OK, so that's too much to ask for, but I thought it might spark some discussion.

I'll post them up in a few days time.

CRGreathouse said:
How about this question instead:
I have a Divine Rank 20 (since you don't use DvRs, call it a 'near-sidereal greater deity') goddess who is concerned with Time. She wants power over this sphere, but in my cosmology she can't really do much with it as a Greater Goddess. When she achieves her current goal and 'ascends' to gain a Divine Rank, she'll go beyond mortal concern (she's nearly there already) and get the power she desires over Time.

Could this be modeled? How? Would I need to create new Gifts/Portfolios/Etc, or perhaps remove existing ones to make her power beyond the reach of a Greater God?

Its a little unclear what exactly you are after.

I have the Time Portfolio and I have various abilities from Divine upwards that have to do with time.

I suspect you will find what you are looking for in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads