• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The In Character Character Game: Part III

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"There's a Calvin and Hobbes strip like that," says Thomas. "Calvin's looking in a puddle and says 'I wonder if there's another me on the other side of this puddle, and if he goes poof when I move?' And Hobbes points out it might be the other way around. Final panel's Calvin still standing there after night has fallen, staring into the puddle."

Last edited:

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Daniel nods at the example. "Well, that depends. I figure you'd just go back to being normal." He pauses, not quite satisfied with his explanation. "Well, normal as in what you'd normally be doing. Ok, that didn't clarify things at all. See, it's more like you're a bunch of impulses and patterns somewhere. And come the morning, when I wake up, you'll still be there, you just won't necessarrally be active or separate anymore. To be arbitrary, take addition. Just because I'm not using the pattern of addition doesn't mean that it's gone, necessarrally. It just means that that pattern is tucked away somewhere else. It's like remembering a joke for the first time in years." He nods again, scratching his chin. "An intersting question is what affect you'd have on the rest of everything else."

He pauses again, and looks up with a smile. "And if your are just a figment of my imagination, you'll probablly show up as an NPC the next time I DM."

Festy_Dog

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
"Final panel's Calvin still standing there after night has fallen, staring into the puddle."

"Hehe, that's pretty funny... and deep at the same time," Festy replies.

ThoughtBubble said:
"And if your are just a figment of my imagination, you'll probablly show up as an NPC the next time I DM."

"It would be an honour," he says with a grin.

Lichtenhart

First Post
"Mmm, I don't buy it. Everything in your dreams comes from something you've experienced, or at least imagined. You very rarely hear people speaking in different languages, for example. And you also very rarely read, because that's a skill that reside in the left part of the brain, the rational one, while when you dream the right one is at work. Yet here you are pefectly able to read, and are dreaming about the details of a story you admitted you are not familiar with. No if someone's dreaming us I don't think it's you. It's not me either, because I knew nothing of Solid Snake. Maybe it's Hahn. By the way, where is she?"

Jemal

Adventurer
"AHA!" James shouts as he turns the corner coming into the room "I've got you n..." He stops and looks about at the other people.

"Um, Have any of you seen a white rabbit with a stopwatch run through here recen.. Hey wait a sec, I know you guys... Damnit, The rabbit didn't come this way did he?"

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
"Mmm, I don't buy it. Everything in your dreams comes from something you've experienced, or at least imagined. You very rarely hear people speaking in different languages, for example. And you also very rarely read, because that's a skill that reside in the left part of the brain, the rational one, while when you dream the right one is at work. Yet here you are pefectly able to read, and are dreaming about the details of a story you admitted you are not familiar with. No if someone's dreaming us I don't think it's you. It's not me either, because I knew nothing of Solid Snake. Maybe it's Hahn. By the way, where is she?"

Daniel shakes his head. "I'm not even going to show you the holes in your basic idea. But, let's go along with what you're saying. So, when was the last person we saw speak Russian? Or anything other than english? What was the last word you read?" He begins to speak a little faster and more forcefully to try and drive his point home. "Was it in a san-serif font? Was it bold? Was it larger or smaller than the other text? Are you sure you read it? Could you have just looked at it and understood?"

He shakes his head again. "And if I'm not sure of the details of the story, then obviously, whatever gets dredged up from old memories, being told about it, and random other things HAS to be right, because I don't know otherwise. And I did see the movie, I just don't remember some of it. And I still think it's a lot more likely that this is just something that occurrs nightly than it is the potential destruction of multiple realities."

"And Hanh's right over there." He points over his shoulder with his thumb.

Lichtenhart

First Post
"Well, what's happening is totally different from my dreams. In my dreams I usually have to use my special powers to overcome a dreadful threat and save the world... Hey! Wait a minute..."

OOC: Ok, anybody heard anything from Kitana? I'm getting worried...

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
ThoughtBubble said:
Daniel shakes his head. "I'm not even going to show you the holes in your basic idea."

"Come now," says Thomas amiably. "Let's all be polite."

But, let's go along with what you're saying. So, when was the last person we saw speak Russian? Or anything other than english? What was the last word you read?" He begins to speak a little faster and more forcefully to try and drive his point home. "Was it in a san-serif font? Was it bold? Was it larger or smaller than the other text? Are you sure you read it? Could you have just looked at it and understood?"

"I read... the sign outside Watto's shop. 3d light, or somesuch." He shrugs. "Anyway, reading should be fairly easy to prove or disprove. I think someone grabbed a book on the way down- although as that fellow over there said- forgive me, I've forgotten your name, no mind for them- reading is not an acid test." He walks over to the glass table, grabs a book, and opens it, showing it to the others.

"Anyway, this is really here nor there. While solipsism is really the only philosophy you can argue someone to a standstill on, given subjectivity and all that, arriving there doesn't really serve any purpose. If this is a dream, you lose nothing by acting like it's not; if it's not a dream, it's obviously a good idea to act like it's real, because it is. Either way, it's best not to risk it." Thomas is warming to his favorite subject- philosophy.

ooc: I haven't; I believe that she is buried under work, and last I heard, ill. Although that was a while ago.

ThoughtBubble

First Post
"Sorry," Daniel says. While not hostile, he doesn't sound like he's sorry for his actons. "But this is a discussion we've had before. And we came to the exact same conclusion. There's just as much proof for this being a dream as there is for this being reality collapsing. So treat it as if it's reality collapsing. If it is just a dream, no big loss, hey it was a cool dream. If it turns out that reality is collapsing, then we acted appropriately. But this feels like a dream. It acts like a dream. And I've seen crazy stuff like guns that turn Goro into a bear happens in my dreams more often than in reality. Maybe it happens in other people's dreams too. I've never been in one."

"Anyway, I'm more intrigued by the idea that we're all part of some larger collective conciousness. And Hanh does have that whole glow thing. And she does seem to know more about this place than anyone else. So I'll concede that this is her dream as long as you concede that since I'm sentient, I'm somehow important." He grins.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads