5E The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter Five

Otiroth

Villager
Otiroth smiled when the skull was freed, and seemed about to say more... when the sound of approaching footsteps, and then the intrusion into his mind...

A quick glance to the others. They would not have much time.

Otiroth moved at first to the entryway, in which the footsteps were coming from, and would concentrate. It had been a bit, though not in the grand scheme of things, since he had done this- but a glowing figure appeared. The dancer! He'd send it darting off down the hall towards 'Kravikus'- though he'd not stay long to see the creature. No longer than to get a peek, make sure the demon got a peek in return, before turning back towards the others.

"We had best make that count," Otiroth said, perhaps a bit too loudly, "that is our last spell of the day," he lied through his teeth.

They had the room to themselves for the moment- but only a moment! The dancer likely would fizzle out or try to bobble back towards him, so its use as a distraction was limited.

<Spell casting: dancing lights>
 

Metea

Villager
Metea: Kravikus Comes

Metea pressed both hands to her head as the demonic voice invaded it. No! Go away! She thought back. Though she didn't know if that was how telepathy worked!

She shot there skull friend a look. "Kravikus! You could have mentioned him before, Magaw!" She scolded him, but very lightly. Perhaps he had simply thought the demon had left along with others of greater power. Perhaps he HAD left. Demons could move about quite a bit!

"I... may be able to do something to help. If we can delay him for only a moment," she whispered to the others. Metea sounded uncertain, though.

Metea would move to near the entrance of the cavern- just before the path lead to the wagon-beaten cavern. Still out of sight of Kravikus. The tiefling pulled her book from her pack, flipped through it- gestured towards the soil and rocks and rubble before her.

She looked to make a hole. A hole she could cover with misty visions, to make it look like the floor! The rubble from the hole, well, she was unpracticed with the spell, but could not move it far.

The pitchlings had taught them something after all!

<Cantrip: move earth>
<Beginning invocation: misty visions>
 
Carthum watched his sister work for a moment. His jaw was set firmly in place, as he listened to the sound of the incoming demon... the vicious snarl in his mind's eye. It was an affront! He would pick up the dwarf and carry him to the rear of the cavern- as far from the incoming demon as possible.

But, he did see what Metea was going for... arranging themselves to get the demon to walk into the trap would be quite tricky! He tapped Jeovanna on the shoulder- pointed to her hunter's trap. Could she use that?

Otiroth seemed to be luring the demon to act in haste, so Carthum would motion for the group to arrange themselves. Perhaps, if they waited on the other side of the hole, but made it look as if they were taking the coals for cover instead of egging the demon on to approach them...

"Mage- you still have your crossbow at least, do you not? If not spells?" Carthum asked. He could not be particularly deceptive himself... so he had to work with what he had!

He wanted Metea and Otiroth well behind him! Magaw could do as he willed!
 

Jeovanna

Villager
Jeovanna had not even had a chance to lower her blade! Another demon was coming... and so far, the skull had been honest enough with them, so she believed him. It was bad news. Some of them were already fairly injured.

The barbarian growled.

Carthum tapped her then, and she wheeled on him, but after a second's hesitation- she understood. The trap! Jeovanna pulled it off of her pack, frowning a bit at it... if this worked, this may be the end of her old faithful equipment- before heading towards the hole before Metea covered it with her illusion.

Where was Annit? If the thief was nearby, she'd give the trap to the thief to set, for Jeovanna could pull her back out. Otherwise, she'd have to leap in herself- but the barbarian was quite swift at such things!

<Athletics check 12, acrobatics check 18>
 

97mg

Villager
Kravikus Comes!

“Forgive me! I did not know!” Magaw pleads to Metea. “Quick, we must be ready!” He takes off upwards then, to hover at the top of the exit, looking down to witness the mortals at work in a flurry of action.

Annit takes a step back to briefly admire her freshly crafted obstacle, just as the outline of a luminescent dancer moves past. It steps right through her creation and boldly heads up the passage. The group stirs behind her, and as she turns much action is underway. The Tiefling’s hands are waved and a hole appears, a black pit within dark stone. Jeovanna tosses Annit over a trap, iron jaws with a spring-loaded plate. The plan is clear.

Quickly glancing behind, Annit is pleased to see Dain retreating into the darkness. A wink to him, and the rogue jumps into the five foot hole, sets the trap, and swiftly jumps out. A mist forms then settling to appear as though solid ground.

A great roar booms down the tracked tunnel. Long and solid steps as something moves closer. The party is ready! Except Dain is alone. Annit exits the hole on the side opposite the priest, barbarian, sorcerer, warlock and skull. She will head in the ranger's direction, later.

“Death is coming!”


Annit dares to look. Ahead, Otiroth's dancer is in retreat, it's light cast upon a form beastly and disturbing. Tall and thickly built, a humanoid approaches, covered in a natural armor of deadly spines. Massive hands swing by its side, claws extended and scraping along the walls. The face is horrifying, red skin stretched upon a wicked and angular elongated face.

“You think a pile of stone will stop me?

It's jaw opens, and a thick stream of blazing hot fire comes rushing through the space. It licks past the dancer and blows across Annit's stalacmites. Luckily for the rogue, some of her wall has blocked the scorching flames. Still though, it is enough brush her. A smell of singed hair, skin and cloth follows as she screams in burning pain.

“Nooo!”

<Annit hole entry/exit Dex check = 22. Kravikus Fire attack = 22. Annit half damage from cover. >



Round 1 Begins:

24. Dain (-13hp)
21. Annit (-6hp)
16. Metea
15. Magaw
13. Otiroth (-6hp)
10. Kravikus
7. Carthum
3. Jeovanna

<Let me know if the previous damage for Dain or Otiroth isn't correct.>

 
Dain - Kravikus Comes

The shadows had called to Dain, embracing him with a newfound familiarity and warmth. But no sooner had he vanished into the pitch, fire and mystical dancing light illuminated the corridor and Annit cried out in pain. They were under attack and skulking in the shadows would be of little use to his comrades. His initial burning burst of speed and swordplay would have to wait for another time.

His chest still burned, but his blood was up. Annit, of all of them, needed to survive and escape the mine with what they had come for. She was the one best able to ensure their journey was not in vain.

But there was nothing he could do but wait. There was a trap and row of spiky confusion between him and his foe.

"Mark this beast..." He murmured under his breath. "...with your breath."

<Cast Hunter's Mark>
 

97mg

Villager
Annit's right side, arm and torso had caught the worst of it, stinging with a hot pain that was planning to stick around. The rogue was in shock, a sense of conviction and over-confidence all but burnt away. Magaw hadn't been lying when he'd warned them about “fire”. Kravikus seemed to have quite a way with it.

The rogue gritted her teeth. As much as she wanted to scream again, she knew that could end in death by flames. No. It was time to be quiet, time to be gone.

She moved a small way and crouched down against the wall, shrinking into a tiny ball of shadow. It was time to hide, and choose a moment to strike in revenge… later.

<Stealth = 19>
 

Metea

Villager
Metea winced at the smell of burnt flesh on the air. And, through all of that- she hadn't seen Kravikus yet!

Not that she was in a rush. If their trap did not work, they were in trouble, but Metea felt a bit better, with Jeovanna and Carthum before her.

The warlock was waiting for Kravikus to come into view- her hex of strength remained, and she needed to concentrate so she would not lose it. Small pebbles and rocks moved just slightly before the priest and barbarian's feet- a scattered remain of the excavation, ready to refill the hole- or simply create some cover, if worse came to worse.

"Pretender," Metea hissed. She really didn't want Kravikus being careful when he picked his way over Annit's damaged ground!
 

97mg

Villager
Kravikus Comes!

Magaw descends to hover and face the group anxiously awaiting the results of the trap. Quietly he speaks “of many things I am afraid, but fire be not one of them. I will try and anger him and lure the ugly bastard into your well conceived pit, if only for the irony!”

The skull rotates then, and takes off into the tracked passage, turning right to hang above Annit's spiky patch of ground.

“Haha Kravikus! Been a long time you old devilish mummer's toy! Summoned to wipe an Imp’s arse I presume? Haha how your breath still stinks like a summer cowpat! I am free you fool, and look so, how the very stone here thinks you weak and futile! Come, useless tool, see if you can catch me!”

The demon's reply echoes through the space, loaded with nothing but pure hate.

“Magaaaaaw! I shall smash you between my teeth and crush you to dust!”

The skulls laughs then, as from it's empty orbits three bright glowing darts take flight, speeding down upon Kravikus and impaling deeply into the beast's ugly flesh.

“Errrargh!” The demon bellows, as it prepares to clamber past the stalagmites.

<Krav takes 13 damage>
 

Otiroth

Villager
Otiroth: Kravikus Comes!

The very tips of the demon's horns are practically in view! Otiroth can sense it in a way, like feeling heat drifting into a chilled room.

His dancer pirouettes in front of Kravikus, but it still does little more than cast light; not especially suitable as a distraction, except perhaps to wind the demon up further!

That could quickly be a bad thing, though!

At Carthum's mention of his crossbow, Otiroth pulls it from his pack and begins to notch a bolt- he would not mind having it ready, if someone else had need of it, but Otiroth was only a passable shot, if one were honest...
 

97mg

Villager
Kravikus Comes!

The demonic beast snarls angrily at the glowing dancer, displeased with the mockery, lashing out at it with a claw. The razor-sharp nails move through no skin or flesh though, merely cutting through a shape of bright light. Kravikus grunts, and gets to work then. A claw comes into view, gripping around a stalagmite, then another, huffing and groaning the fiend starts climbing over the sharp passage obtrusion. His head appears at the top soon after, anger flaring in dark eyes. Seeing mortals not far off, he takes a moment to lick his lips, a tongue of fire!

He jumps down, attempting to bite at Magaw mid-air! But the beast is not so athletically disposed. His jaw fails to connect with the hovering skull, and Kravikus lands, ready to charge into battle. He's right near the edge of the trap, and hasn't noticed!

<Attack Magaw = 8 (Miss, disadvantaged). Perception check for trap = 9 (Fail).>
 
"Come, demon! Face us!" Carthum declares.

The demon is in sight now, standing tantalizingly close to the edge. Carthum, though, is a bit further down! The curve of the stone gives them a natural barrier of protection, but Carthum's mace lacks the reach to hit the demon from here.

He raised his mace and brought it down on his shield- a bolt of radiance, then, to punish the demon!

But he was no fool! He took a step back afterwards, to force the demon to come to them.

<Sacred flame: 7 damage>
 

Jeovanna

Villager
Carthum's weapon does not have the reach- but perhaps Jeovanna's does?

She is very mindful of the hole in the ground, though... but such mindfulness could perhaps be mistaken for caution about the approaching demon in place of anything else. She leans out and takes a swipe at Kravikus, and then quickly steps back once more, into the cover of the stonework.

A pack of hyenas, harrying a lion! This was not where they were meant to hunt!

<Attack w/ disadvantage = 20, damage 13 if successful>
 

97mg

Villager
Kravikus Comes!

Godly light spills near the demon as he steps to the side, trying to avoid white burning holy flame. It brushes against him, but for the most part Kravikus has avoided Suru's hatred for things foul, corrupt and evil. But it has distracted the beast!

Jeovanna has her opening and through the reach of her sword, manages to strike and quickly step back. A deep laceration appears on the great fiend's chest, yet before the barbarian's very eyes the wound seems to shrink, halving in size.

“Grawwww!”

<Krav has taken damage from both attacks, but seems resistant to sword-strikes. Krav dex save vs sacred flame = 20 (Half damage).>



Round 2:

24. Dain (-13hp)
21. Annit (-6hp)
16. Metea
15. Magaw
13. Otiroth (-6hp)
10. Kravikus (-22hp)
7. Carthum
3. Jeovanna
 
Dain - Kravikus Comes

Dain saw no point in waiting any longer. He had no blood for skulking while others fought.

Springing forth with a burst of speed (+10 speed), he rushed Kravikus just as the demon cleared the trap, whether sprung or not.

Somewhere, there is already a tomb with my true name upon it. That is all that matters. This body is dust and dirt, falling into the arms of Essithea. Dust and dirt...such are we all!

"You are marked for the next world, DEFILER!"

Before the awe-inducing ferocity of the great demon, Dain's first strike goes wide. But there is a new quickness to his blade, a new memory in his craft...the sword gleams in the darkness as it streaks back in a massive reverse attack!

<Gloomstalker - Dread Ambusher second attack +1d8 damage + Hunter's Mark 1d6 +CRITICAL STRIKE = 10+4+5x2>
<38 damage>
 

97mg

Villager
Kravikus Comes!

Annit watches as the ranger rushes out of the shadows. He is certainly fast, much lighter on foot than some time ago when he chased a mischievous rogue girl down Kalair's narrow alleyways!

In an instant, Dain stands precariously close to the trap’s edge, hacking backhandedly with nothing but pure force. Kravikus groans deeply in pain, a massive slice in his chest which still looks ugly, even after demonic protection works to close some of the gash.

“Ah ha!” Magaw exclaims in delight.

The rogue has what she has waited for. An opportunity. A chance to push things along. She leaps out of the shadows and slams her fists into the great fiend's side, pushing with all her weight and might. Small of stature, the blow only moves the beast a little, but one ugly red foot moves to slide upon the illusionary surface. Kravikus teeters on the edge for a moment that feels to last forever… His foot slips, and gripping at thin air, the beast falls downwards!

Kravikus looks below himself to witness the waiting treat, failing to avoid placing a foot upon the hunting trap’s well-placed plate.

Snap!

“Grawwww!”

From shoulder height upwards the beast growls at you! The rest of him now resides in the shadows of a hole.

“Graghhawww!”

“Eat that haha!” Magaw is well pleased.

<Krav dex check vs shove = 4 (Natural 1 at disadvantage) vs Annit str check to shove = 5 (at advantage from rogue sneak attack), damage = 9 (2d6 for sneak, halved to 4 from resistance). Krav falling damage = 4. DC 13 dex save vs trap = 12 (Fail). Trap damage = 6.

Krav must make a DC 13 Str check (at Hex disadvantage) each round to free himself of the trap or take further damage. To move out as well would use an entire round of his activity (difficult terrain).>
 
Last edited:

Metea

Villager
Metea takes her chance!

Her hex finds a new target in Kravikus, and the mixed stones and pebbles and soil find their home back in the hole they had started from! The loose soil, scattered haphazardly about, is driven by the devilish cantrip- loosely packed around the demon, but packed nevertheless.

The demon is a titan, though! And his teeth and horns look nasty, muddy or no!

<Bonus action- hex>
<Cantrip- move earth>
 

97mg

Villager
Magaw: Kravikus Comes!

While loosened gravel, dirt and small particles of stone dance their way into the freshly dug grave for Kravikus, Magaw hangs well above the fiend's head.

The skull has had many years to ponder on and memorise artful gifts, and now with the cage of cancellation gone, he is busting to make up for lost time. The day of vengeance has arrived! It is not just a hail of insults he pours upon the beast, but magic as well!

Again, glowing magical darts speed down into the half submerged and thrashing beast. They dig into the fiend's skin, burning, Magaw laughing wickedly as Kravikus roars in pain.

<12 points of Damage to Krav.>
 

Otiroth

Villager
Otiroth: Kravikus Comes!

The trap was sprung, and if nothing else, they had succeeded in royally angering a fire-breathing demon!

Said fire-breathing maw was still in play, but also Otiroth's only target. His crossbow remains unused in his off hand, and with his other, he joins Magaw in delivering a litany of magical darts upon the part of Kravikus he can still see.

A difficult shot, over their friends' shoulders and into the half-buried demon! But the red missiles dart around his companions and descend on the demon!

<Spell casting: magic missile. 10 damage>
 

97mg

Villager
Kravikus Comes!

Kravikus is slowly but surely being tortured, but there is still literal fire in his tummy, anger in his eyes, and evil intent within every pore of his red, coal-tanned spiney flesh. Within the hole he mashes a foot down against the opposite ankle, angrily opening the trap’s jaws just long enough to get the other beastly trotter free.

He looks at the assortment of explorers from ground-level; a tall woman, a half-orc, a young human man and a tiefling. To the other side a rangery man and a small woman. Above, none other than Magaw. Dark eyes regard them all with pure loathing. So deep is the hatred that he chooses not to take this chance to leap to freedom. No.

Pain must come first!

Start with the entree, the small one!

Better full-cooked than medium-rare!

His mouth opens, and yet again a burst of flame pours upon Annit, this time licking up her legs in swirling orange snakes of heat. She shrieks in agony and torment as skin blackens and is burnt to a crisp! Her face pales and loads up with sweat, clear to those around her that death is now a step closer.

<Krav breath attack = 21 (Hit). Annit selected as target at random. Damage = 9.>
 

Advertisement

Top