D&D 5E The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter Five

Otiroth

First Post
Sadly, Otiroth did not have much more information than rumor about the Sands, not that he'd care to admit it. Of course, rumors were probably of great interest to someone who'd been in demonic jail for an age, but they could not stand around here chatting forever. The heat was even beginning to bother Otiroth, and it did not seem that the skull knew much about what was on the path ahead.

He was quite interested in the spells involved here, though.

"Well, if you have quarrel with the Pitchlings, I suppose I cannot blame you. But we have no intention of fighting with them," Otiroth said finally. He imagined he'd been annoyed as well, whether or not the Pitchlings could have even helped. It had not been particularly wise of their party to attack the ooze demons, either.

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna: Decisions

Jeovanna heard 'smash', and honestly, the heat was getting to her. A tad bit of impatience had crept in. Of course, now was not the time to be impatient, as dealing with undead was something far beyond her abilities. Unless that 'dealing with' involved smashing.

She was more worried about the dwarf, though. Getting him out of the coal-soaked room and near Dain and Annit was the best they could do. That fungus-ale was damn potent!

Maybe she was just jealous. Ha!

But eventually the barbarian would head over to the mages, her greatsword resting on her shoulder. It was time for a decision. They needed to decide.

97mg

Explorer
Decisions

Annit nodded. Dain was right. Let the gifted ones, those more versed in religion, magic and possible skull-release consequences determine Magaw’s fate.

“You’re not cruel,” she said, pleased that the ranger was talking and any acid-induced chest pains weren’t overcoming him. “We’re what we were made to be I guess, either through our own decisions or those of others. This place, I can feel it changing us. All of us. For better or worse I do not know.”

She turned to look into Dain’s eyes. Such a strange fellow, unpredictable, sometimes distant, a man of the wilds and freedom lured into a stonewalled darkness. “Even now, I know I can do things that were impossible before.” A quiet laugh then, before Annit says “we are in a pickle. And we are being pickled by the powers down here too. Poison, the sounds of a funeral bell, trickery to the eye, like daydreams these things are conjured in my thoughts, like pulling the impossible out of a dream, and placing it into the real world.”

An honorable thief? It depended very much on perspective. “You are kind too, Dain, in your own way. Me? I guess I am when I can be. The bloodline didn’t always demand kindness however.” She goes quiet then, uncertain if this should be elaborated on. Probably not the time and place. Few were those she’d confess to. Protecting secrets didn’t always go hand in hand with what might be best for the odd civilian.

In the much warmer and more populated confines of the hall, the discussion with the captive head continues. “Boring? Oh yes it must appear that way,” the skull replies to the Tiefling, “but when you can’t do… well… what your mind dictates that you must, then it seems a choice is made. Perish or patience. Me? I chose the latter.”

Looking back to the priest, he seems pleased. “Alone. Yes, it would be nice not to have to remain here as such. Should you choose to free me, then a debt will be owed, of that I am certain. In some way, it will be paid to you. Ah the cage. This is no forge-beaten iron my friend. The very bars are devil’s work. All that enters these bars, be they fingers or tools, have gifts and magic made void. It is how they kept me here, powerless, a cube of cancellation of sorts. Of a key I am uncertain, though there is a lock on the opposite side. Oh the irony you see? Without mammoth strength nor even hands to bend with, of my containment the fiends were certain. I am sure though, that with distance from these evil irons, I might regain a little more of my former self. Not in body though, but in mind and memory.”

His empty sockets move to Jeovanna, almost hinting at the idea. “She is strong. I had a front row seat to that fight. Question is, is she gifted in the arts of gods or arcana? For my sake… I hope not, and that she might be persuaded in your cause. It looks as though you too, have paid a toll for your entry here.” The skull nods in the direction of the dwarf, quietly sleeping thanks to recently digested fungal “brew”.

He spoke with Otiroth then. “With the Pitchlings I have no quarrel. They had their reasons I suppose, on when and what to interfere with, that I respect. Lives were saved and they were rewarded for it. Do not underestimate the poison of greed though, friends. Even folks closer than family and born of same blood have become enemies, in the lust for the old treasures once locked in these walls.”

Ah, look! The fighter comes closer...

Last edited:

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain - Decisions

Bloodlines. The very word reminds me of how little I know of myself. To have one is be surrounded by a cocoon, be it for ill or boon. But to be without one is to be exposed to the elements of the world, naked and afraid.

He listened to Annit, nodding slightly in the dim light. "So much is demanded of us, from different places and different things. We are all of us servants...to some thing or another."

Then he snorted under breath, laughing at himself as he whispered in the dark to Annit. "Listen to us. Philosophers and sages. Just let us survive this place, and help those that are in need, and everything else will follow well enough."

He put a hand on her shoulder. "Your father will be proud."

Metea

First Post
Metea stepped back slightly as Jeovanna approached. Then even more, as the barbarian investigated the cage with true intent in her eyes.

"I say- do it. Nothing's gained by wasting time," Metea said. Maybe he'd teach her his levitation spell!

On second thought- keep that to herself. She'd hate for him to think he meant 'teach me how to be a floating skull'...

While Metea looked otherwise relaxed, her tail lashed in excitement. She couldn't wait to see what happened next! Carthum had saved one of his healing spells, hadn't he?

Carthum One-Tusk: Decisions

Carthum nodded. He too would step back, though not as far.

Was this wise? Did compassion need to come from a place of wisdom? Could it?

Suru, I ask only that if I create a wrong... I be given the chance to fix it

His shield remained on his arm, his mace close at hand. "Strike well."

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna strode forward to investigate the cage. It looked too strong to simply smash it with her greatsword- now, if she had had an ax!- but that was beside the point.

"Keep your head down," she suggested to the floating skull, with a bit of a wry twist of her lips. It was impossible to tell if she was making a pun or not.

The weak point would have to be the hinges, wouldn't it? For whatever passed as such in devilwrought metal. She drove her sword between the bars below one of the hinges, pinioning the blade sharply upwards.

If anything, she was more concerned about sundering her blade than that her own strength would not be enough- but after burning her hands twice on hot rocks in the path of flame, she was hesitant to outright grasp metal bars!

Otiroth

First Post
Otiroth: Decisions

Yes.. they all took a step back, though Otiroth watched with more curiosity than trepidation. Imagine- an undead, floating skull owing them a favor! That was an unusual concept indeed.

Perhaps the sorcerer may have moved to stand between the skull and the dwarf, but a part of him, deep down, did not much care that the skull had pointed him out. The dwarf hadn't come down with them, true, but they were responsible for his safety.

He'd watch Jeovanna's attempt- perhaps a magic missile could've softened the hinges?

97mg

Explorer
Kravikus Comes!

As well as wide carving arcs, deep impalement and weighty slashing, the greatsword offers other advantages. Leverage. A blade axis that in it's center is denser than mere one-handed tools. With a thrust beneath the hinge and a groany sweat-inducing shove, Jeovanna hears the iron begin to creak. With her weight as much an advantage as sheer muscle, her side of the cage slides upwards just an inch or so.

“It's working!” Magaw has taken the advice to retreat out of the way, but oh it is a sweet sound. The sound of brute force overcoming magic. Raw physicality disrupting a magic's constricting flow. Whatever poor creatures and people had been imprisoned here, they must have been so terribly weakened that this method of escape was impossible. Demonistic guards lurking around probably didn't help either. And Jeovanna? Few humans could be named stronger. The skull is truly lucky this day. Fresh, youthful and strong assistance. A woman in her prime. The room’s guardians sent back to hell.

Another creaky push, and a cage wall is hanging off of it's hinges, sagging to clang against hard rock with a sound like a single strike of a blacksmith’s hammer. Magaw moves to the very edge of what was once confinement.

“Hail you! Lifter of iron and releaser of Magaw!” The head floats a little further out, mere inches. “I tread a new path now friends, and though it won't be worn by my feet, I thank you!”

With speed he flys out then, moving upwards and nodding to the group with respect.

It is then that Dain hears something, behind them up the unexplored cart-tracked way. A distant crunch of a foot upon coals. Then a dark growling voice booms off the walls. A threat.

“Who dares call upon Kravikus! Imp, I will crush you if this is one of your jests!”

“naughty word,” Annit exclaims under her breath, taking a few steps towards the call. She kneels then, running hands upon the basalt at her feet.

“I witnessed a dream, some gift now bequeathed. This dark rocky path to be jaws, with teeth!”

Dain might be a little shocked at what he witnesses next. From the floor, sharp protrusions of stone grow, like blackened stalacmites. Five feet of razor-sharp obstacle.

The skull turns to face the priest. “Kravikus comes, someone has alerted him to your presence here. Quick, prepare yourselves! The fiend is not so easily felled as those on prison duty! I will help you! Beware of claws, bite and fire!”

Something brushes Dain’s mind then...

I know you are there, trespasser, prepare for punishment!

Then everyone would feel it, a penetration of their thoughts.

Ah, an infestation of mites, here, come let me crush you!

<Everyone declare your actions and where you would like to be located. The round after that we will roll initiative (feel free to email over your initiative rolls in advance). >

somethingcoming.jpg

Last edited:

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain - Kravikus Comes

Dain's eyes widened at Annit's display of power. "To the shadows...protect yourself!" He whispered, but loudly.

He drifted backwards, beyond the torchlight.

Waiting.

Remove ads