5E The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter Two

Metea

Villager
Metea- Further Down

A trap! And in the hallway! Metea wondered if it had been built while the miners were abandoning this place. A bit of a petty final defiance against Dolstian Law.

Or had something else moved in?

Metea perked up at the noise down in the depths, but despite squinting could not make it out. Still, she'd feel eldritch energy crackle within her veins. A battle? Her patron's voice whispered to her. She had something that could deal with any attackers. Something much better than a dagger...

Metea hung back, though, behind the ranger and the barbarian. She did not much want to walk into a trap!

<Initiative- also 3, by gentleman's agreement, Dain can go first of the two?>
 

jgkane

Villager
"Metea," the protest comes too late to do any good, and Carthum is left watching the parchment curl and ripple in her hands until it is no more.

His next thoughts are his own, but one fate remains clear- whatever his sister does, he must protect her. Even if it is from her own mistakes. He does not agree with much of what is happening here, and he does not trust the woman; but he does trust his god.

Grimacing, the half-orc would sign with his mark as well- as with the others, he does not put down a name, but a mark of a shield.
Commitment is often very hard to do, the first time, but gets easier as practice becomes habit
 

Otiroth

Villager
Otiroth: Further down

From his position in the rear of the group, Otiroth couldn't see too much. He'd sent his dancing lights as far as they'd go- though hopefully without alerting anything too deep- but while they'd given a head's up on some of the tunnel, there was so much of it that they couldn't illuminate everything.

The enormity of the mines was truly impressive. Often, people were awed by sweeping cathedrals or gargantuan forests, but this humble mine was an undertaking all its own. Otiroth had heard the great delvings of the mountain people were even more impressive, and now was curious to see them.

But, enough of that! Something moved in the dark, and it didn't sound like just a few tumbling rocks! "Show yourself!" He'd add to Dain's shout. The newcomer knew they were there- so there was no use hiding that. But if they were intruding on some kobold's home or something, perhaps they could prevent a fight?

Or perhaps there would be baked kobold this evening.

<Init roll=5>
 
Carthum One-Tusk: Further down

Carthum watched the process, though his dark vision was not too much different than the humans', at the moment, with Otiroth's lights creating a bright glow.

But the trap- what was it? There were a couple easy ways to find out. However, more movement approached them- this, from further down in the dark, and Dain's reaction made him think of something vile and predatory coming towards them.

"No, not forward. Back!" Carthum said. "If there is a creature that would fight us coming, let it spring the trap for us!"

He was not sure his council would perhaps do any good, but he had to try. And if the creature spoke Common, well, they were done for anyway.

He'd raise his mace.

<Initiative check- 1. haha>
 

Jeovanna

Villager
Jeovanna- Further Down

Jeovanna let Annit back down to ground level, easily enough, as if the woman had been no weight at all.

She would step to one side of the narrow hallway- she didn't want to stand directly beneath the trap either! "Can't we just smash it?" Jeovanna asked impatiently. A hefty stab from her sword should do the trick, right? Or would it just loosen it up?

They were not alone in the tunnels, though. The mining steps were tight enough that she imagined two fighting abrest would actually be a bit of a challenge, but she'd draw her great sword regardless. There were plenty of maneuvers that worked just fine, whether they were a mining tunnel or a cramped alleyway.

<Initiative- 7>
 

97mg

Villager
Coming up the steps

Dain’s torch flys and cuts an arc of light through the cool air, before landing and bouncing down several rungs of steps. The sounds of something metallic upon stone hastens greatly then, almost rhythmically tapping in increasing volume… towards you.

A torch’s slow dancing flames reflect off metal rusty and pitted as the cause rushes into view.

Annit’s jaw drops, and she takes a few steps back.

A set of tired armor worn by… nothing. It is as though the wearer is invisible, or simply isn’t there at all. Armor suspending in nothingness as though a puppet, hurries upwards closer and closer.

Tap… tap… tap...

<Dains torch is 40ft down the 100ft steps, with a radius of 20ft dim light. At its current pace the armor (which is 50ft away now) will be close enough to engage next round. I’ll commence using your initiative rolls then. You can all have one round of actions before its arrival in the following sequence:

Init 7 - Jeovanna
Init 5 - Otiroth
Init 3 - Metea & Dain
Init 1 - Carthum

Note: The steps are only wide enough for one character to swing melee weapons at a time. Range weapons and spells can of course be cast from higher up the stairs if you desire. I'll send an email shortly to confirm everyone's location.>
 
Last edited:

Jeovanna

Villager
Jeovanna: Further Down

Their battle was joined, but not by a man, nor a beast...

"By the gods! Is this more sorcerery?" A nervous laugh. It was still coming!

"If you can speak, do so now, or be destroyed!" Jeovanna snarled. But Otiroth had already tried, and unless there was an instant surrender from the walking armor, Jeovanna's blood was up. She'd adjust herself on the stairs. She couldn't fully swing her sword with Dain in front of her! Jeovanna adjusted her stance, exactly like a guardsman on drills, to a more 'stabbing' position with her great blade.

This was really more a job for a lighter longsword, though, and if Jeovanna's arms hadn't been so strong, she wouldn't have even attempted it!

Jeovanna prepares herself, to stab at the creature's empty face and head when it comes into range.
 

Otiroth

Villager
Otiroth: Further Down

"Indeed! Sorcery!" Otiroth agreed. "But don't fret woman, for we have some of our own!"

He cast a brief look at Metea, then. Questioning her. Challenging her.

Well, he would very much like to study this armor once they destroyed it! They'd already called on it to back down... and perhaps Otiroth was over eager to use his magic once more. Otiroth's fingers sparked once more, as if he were trying to light a match, and a mote of coiling flame arched over his comrade's heads, barely missing the ceiling as it went, before falling towards the animated armor.



<Spellcasting: firebolt. Ranged spell attack- 7. Spell damage=10>
 

97mg

Villager
Coming up the steps

Unfortunately, it seemed the ghostly armor either wasn’t listening to the warnings, or simply couldn’t speak on account of not having a “face”.

It kept coming, clunking it's way up the steps through the additional illumination of Otiroth’s bolt of flame. Fingers of red heat tickled the dark ceiling as the spell arched it's way down towards the assailant, but it missed, colliding into a sparking mess several steps below their target. It wasn’t a bad shot per se, just a very tricky one, a moving target made up mostly of thin air and all.

The old plate mail dashing towards them was still coming, but there was still time perhaps, for Metea, Dain and Carthum to do something about it…

<Jeovanna: If you are a few steps behind Dain with such a large weapon, I’ll allow you to attack over Dain’s head - with disadvantage (2x d20 for attack rolls, take the lowest). Sound ok?>
 
Dain- A Few Steps Down

The impending battle roused Dain, and he felt prepared for what was coming. Prepared mentally, and with a sturdy soul to match.

At least I was no coward in my prior life!

Arcs of flame roared over his head and he stepped to the side, his sword taking an offensive position behind him and low to the ground. When the eldritch fire exploded, he covered his eyes with one hand but nonetheless saw the armor continue its slow but steady assault! He was aware of Jeovanna right behind him, and saw the glint of her great sword in the dying light of the magic flames. She meant to strike!

Obviously, the creature before them would not pause for parley, as the sorcerer's words fell on deaf ears. It was possessed of a simple purpose, most likely.

Dain was closest, whether for good luck or ill. And he would have his chance to protect his comrades! Knowing that Jeovanna's great sword was behind and above him, he attacked low, lunging forward with an attack at the armor's knees. His blade had never felt better in his hands, now that it was fulfilling its true purpose!

<21 attack roll>
<6 damage>
 

Metea

Villager
Metea: A few steps further up

Metea had eyes on the arc of Otiroth's flames. It didn't so much matter that he missed- she liked it all the same!

Fire was... so intriguing. She was quite enamored of it, though to be fair, she was harder to burn than most...

Blackish energy crackled at her fingertips. She knew Carthum likely would not be pleased by this, but... this was life or death, was it not? And she did not particularly feel like trying her luck with a crossbow when there were people between her and the target.

A bolt of crackling energy sparked from her fingertips- like lightning, but a bolt that followed no particular pattern, no arc, though its goal was ultimately upon the suit of armor...

<Spellcasting: Eldritch blast. 24 for attack roll, 9 for damage>
 
Carthum One-Tusk: Further down

There were many things that Carthum might be disappointed with Metea for, but her bolt of energy was not one of them. They had grown up under Suru's graces. They knew his power. Carthum had spoken prayers that had done strange things as well.

He was near the back, and while he could maneuver himself forward down the stairs to try and at least get in front of the thief, Otiroth and Metea, there was no getting past Jeovanna's sword without losing another tusk.

Carthum banged his mace against his shield. "Suru! Let your light guide us in these dark places!"

And it descended from the darkness as if He had only been waiting for the call. White, fluttering light, that only could've somewhat been called 'fire'.

<Spellcasting, cantrip, Sacred Flame. 17 to hit, 3 damage>
 

97mg

Villager
Coming up the steps - Round 2

<Round 2
Init 9 - Annit
Init 7 - Jeovanna
Init 5 - Otiroth
Init 4 - Armor (lost 15 hp)
Init 3 - Metea & Dain
Init 1 - Carthum>

Annit looked on from above as fingers of crackling energy made the armor jiggle a bit, the energy definitely causing the foe’s metal to weaken and crisp up. Dain’s sword swing also was well placed, tearing into the old plate as though it was soft as lead. Then the sacred flames came to shed even more light on the situation, the armor only just managing to step out of their path.

The young rogue was pretty impressed by the team’s display of power. Perhaps even a little concerned about it actually. Sure, she’d heard about magic and it's many uses, but seeing it up close, in the dark, well that was something else!

With no skills in the arcane or divine, she reached for the shortbow resting against her back, snatched an arrow out of a quiver, and just waited. Dain and Jeovanna were in close quarters melee now. Not an ideal situation for firing arrows into. Probably better to stay friends with her colleagues… a missed shot… she dared not think too much upon the possible consequences. That roof trap too, that was bugging her.

<All except Dain are at a disadvantage to attack now (roll 2x d20 and pick lowest), because believe it or not you probably want to avoid hitting your “friend” hehe.

Jeovanna and Otiroth next, then Mr Armor.>
 

Jeovanna

Villager
Jeovanna- Further Down

Well, at least she could see well. Perhaps too well, as the armor was abruptly lit up in glittering flames and sparks as it approached. It was within range now, though.

Jeovanna followed a step further behind Dain. He would go low and she'd go high, more jabbing at the creature than anything. Perhaps she should've picked up that rusty old short sword back up above after all!

<To hit 5+2 proficiency with greatsword = 7. Damage 7.>
 

Otiroth

Villager
Otiroth: Further Down

A grimace. It was a mess down there. "We should head back up! To the room," Otiroth suggested, as if Carthum had not suggested something similar himself. But it was a ways to go- they could possibly outrun the creature, but would their companions down close to it consider a retreat?

He had to admit; he was impressed by Metea's bolt. He would have to ask her about that later- she had shown promise with magic before, but nothing like that...

Otiroth flicked his fingers again- another firebolt, though a bit more cautiously, this time...

<Spellcasting: 17 to hit, 1 damage >
 

97mg

Villager
Coming up the steps - Round 2

For the barbarian it sure wasn’t easy, stabbing at a foe who mostly isn’t there, with a ranger in front couching low on steps and making attacks. As Jeovanna pokes the blade forward she loses her grip, and the weighty greatsword slides off onto the step below.

Again, Otiroth’s fire rains down on the armor in the ongoing light-show, so close this time, licking at the armor’s back as it descends to splash against dark stone.

If it had a face, the enemy would probably look angry now, a victim to magical abuse and a blade’s edge against it's lower leg plates. It wanted revenge! Retaliation! A metal fist moved back a bit and then slammed it into the brave ranger’s chest, connecting with a hard thump. Then the other fist came in, a beating that Dain’s leather armor was no match for. Looks like he might turn a little purple under there.

<Jeovanna: Luckily you can pick up the sword with a free action next round.
Dain: 7 points of owchy damage.>
 
Dain - The Stairwell

The blows came far faster and with far more power than Dain was expecting. It felt like being kicked by a billy goat! His breath left his lungs in a gasp of muffled pain and if he hadn't been on descending stairs, he probably would have fallen right onto his back. As it was, he staggered slightly.

Jeovanna was right behind him, and all the others? Mystical fire and energy seemed to rain down from all sides, and yet still the armor stood firm! Was it immune to the spells cast against it? Only his blade had seemed to cleave it with any real success...

If I turn my back, surely it will break me! Will I ever see the eyes of Essithea again?! Will I ever gaze upon the stars, reflecting in a mountain lake?!

Dain wasn't panicking, but he was most certainly in fear for his life. Which meant he struck out with urgent intent. Maybe too much intent...

<10 to hit, 4 damage>
 

Metea

Villager
Metea- Further Down

Metea winced. Even from up here, she could hear a thud of metal on meat that didn't sound like the armor was simply walking up the stairs...

Otiroth was right, they should probably try and retreat. She had before used a Secret she'd learned to run quickly and avoid some bullies before, but that only worked on herself, and there were quite a few people between herself and the armor.

"Pick on someone your own size, you great hunk of metal!" Metea shouted.

Another eldritch bolt of energy streaked forth- anything, to try and get that armor off of Dain!

<To hit: 17. Damage= 4>
 
Carthum One-Tusk: Further down

Carthum heard it as well, the thud of metal on flesh.

He and other clerics had been trained on the battlefield as well as in the way of prayer; though this was far beyond anything he had faced, he had seen the paladins of Suru battle, and had heard such sounds. It seemed much more real down here.

He would have to take a chance- to press down further alongside Jeovanna. "To your left!" He barked. He would be forced to let his mace dangle from its strap from his arm, though he kept his shield raised.

Carthum pressed his free hand to the back of Dain's head for one brief moment. "By Suru's grace!"



<Spellcasting: Cure light wounds/ roll = 12>

<First level spells- 2 remaining>
 

97mg

Villager
Coming up the steps - Round 3

<Round 3
Init 9 - Annit
Init 7 - Jeovanna
Init 5 - Otiroth
Init 4 - Armor (-15 hp)
Init 3 - Metea & Dain (Fully healed)
Init 1 - Carthum>

There was still no way the rogue girl was going to get a shot in, especially now the priest had moved in to touch the wounded ranger. Incredible, she could almost hear Dain’s sigh of relief!

It was far from over though. Metea’s attempt to crispify the foe had narrowly missed. Dain’s aggressive counter-attack had poked far too wide, and still it stood there in all it's platey glory. An armor without a man… charred, dented and ready for more!

<All except Dain remain at a disadvantage to attack (roll 2x d20 and pick lowest). You've now ascertained through experience, that the AC of the armor is 18.>
 

Advertisement

Top