• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Katara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
Knight Otu said:
Though those maps are only a small portion... I think the whole map is supposed to have a diameter of 25,000 miles.
Wow.

So no problem if I simply name the region?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Knight Otu said:
Though those maps are only a small portion... I think the whole map is supposed to have a diameter of 25,000 miles.
Could you link the whole map?

Manzanita

First Post
I'd prefer to see some background and commentary on how they fit into the world more, before I vote on this one.

Bront

The man with the probe
Manzanita said:
I'd prefer to see some background and commentary on how they fit into the world more, before I vote on this one.
Working on it. I hope to have it done by this weekend.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I agree with Manzanita. I'd like to see some more information on how this race fits into EN World before I vote. As it is, it looks fairly balanced, but background information is just as important as decent mechanics.

Bront

The man with the probe
GnomeWorks said:
I agree with Manzanita. I'd like to see some more information on how this race fits into EN World before I vote. As it is, it looks fairly balanced, but background information is just as important as decent mechanics.

I'll try to get this done this weekend. I have some ideas for where they come from and why they are just begining to expand into the world. But yes, they do need a bit more flavor and background before they should be an official race.

Any input is appreciated as well.

orsal

LEW Judge
Two closely related questions:

Do you see this cat-man as basically a cat with some humanoid features, a humanoid with some feline features, or something in between?

The description sounds more like a cat with some humanoid features, but I'd rather picture a humanoid with feline features. I'd prefer new races which might show up in human cities and order a pint in the Red Dragon Inn not to be substantially more exotic than the variety of races already likely to be found there.

Also, if this is a cat-man with the accent on "man", its type would naturally be Humanoid, but if the accent is on cat, what type is it? It should be explicit. I'm leaning toward opposing any player race of type other than Humanoid.

However, if this is in fact a feline humanoid rather than a humanoid cat, I will approve it. It does look balanced, with the save penalties somewhat negating the otherwise-excessive Jump bonus.

One other question, concerning the jump bonus. You say the Katara have "a limit to maximum jump distance", but you don't say what that limit is.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
orsal said:
Two closely related questions:

Do you see this cat-man as basically a cat with some humanoid features, a humanoid with some feline features, or something in between?

The description sounds more like a cat with some humanoid features, but I'd rather picture a humanoid with feline features. I'd prefer new races which might show up in human cities and order a pint in the Red Dragon Inn not to be substantially more exotic than the variety of races already likely to be found there.
I'd hope that the players have some say on this. Like with half-orcs, some people show one side more than the other. In a similar manner, some Katara seem more human while others seem more cat-like. As long as there's no mechanical benefit or disadvantage (as in, it's obvious they're Katara regardless), then it's just an opportunity for characterization.

orsal

LEW Judge
Jdvn1 said:
Like with half-orcs, some people show one side more than the other. In a similar manner, some Katara seem more human while others seem more cat-like.

Humans and orcs are a lot more alike than humans and cats. All humanoids have essentially the same body structure, so the difference between an orcblooded human and a humanblooded orc is not that great. I couldn't see cat-like humanoids and human-like cats as being the same species. And if you mean to imply that the player can decide whether her Katara has the Humanoid type or the Animal type -- I think that's out of the question, if they're supposed to be the same race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads