The Katara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Otu

First Post
We have a lot of locations not on the two small maps. Since I'm no mapper, I didn't put them in. But this thread isn't the proper thread for map discussion. ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Wow, even more explanation as to why they haven't been seen much in the area around Orussus.

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, I fleshed out their background quite a bit. I think this gives the race a good flavor, and fits in well. Plus, given they are prevelant mostly in a fairly far away area, it explains the general lack of them in the orussus region.

I took the liberty to name the large lake/inland see on the world map. I see the river has already moved (Doesn't run due east/west anymore), I wrote the river in a vague term so it can be delt with later if/when somone fleshes out the map.

Knight Otu

First Post
Geography problem: Sairundan lies to the far south-west, and the home of the Katara is in the far east, so it is unlikely that the regions would touch. To the south would be the deserts of the "Lands of Fire" (not an official name), including the city of Ignussus.

Bront

The man with the probe
Sorry, I'll correct that. Never was good with directions. You do where where I'm placing them though, right?

Manzanita

First Post
Bront, you've obviously put a lot of time into this proposal. The write-up is good, and they are not mechanically overpowered. I must admit I don't feel very excited about them. Kind of like Psionics, they don't really fit into my image of the DnD fantasy world, which is shaped largely by Moorcock, Tolkien, Gygax, and perhaps Conan. Curious little cat people seem a bit too light-hearted, perhaps, for lack of a better word.

I wonder if you have plans for this race. Would they mostly exist in human lands as a PC or two? Do you see adventurers heading for their homeland for whatever reason? Perhaps we could write them into a story arc or something to get me more enthused.

Bront

The man with the probe
Well, I could easily see a few assosiating with the freefolk. They enjoy celebrations, so I could see them slowly showing up at various celebrations across the world.

I could see (and run) and adventure to explore where they are from and meeting them. Also, on a broader arc, as they become more well known, I could see the desert people to the south and perhaps even the dwarves to the east beginging to encroach on their lands and suddently they're forced to defend themselves or flee, but that would probably be more of an issue as more of the world develops.

I do have a few PC ideas to play with them (I'll only get one, I already have 2 other characters, and i like both of them), and I'm sure others could find a concept to play with them as well.

I've always viewed fantasy with strange an unique races, often that have little corners of the world. In a way, much like lizardmen have their swarp somewhere, the Katara have their forest somewhere. I guess the problem is that, as cat people, they are easier to look at as light hearted or cuddly. And it probably doesn't help that much of their culture I've focused on is festivities. They are fierce wariors and hunters. They study magic. They worship gods. They even fight amonst themselves at times.

I know that I am capable and willing to make any character concept (class wise) work as a Katara, and it's not too hard, and that I feel makes them a fairly complete race.

I know I can't integrate them into Enworld by myself, so hopefully there are other players or GMs willing to use them as well, which would help expand their culture and influence.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
No one has give any indication about how the vote for this will go -- Manzanita, you said you weren't enthused about the Katara, but that doesn't translate into being for or against their entrance into LEW. Not to pick on you, but you're the most recent comment.

Is there something we're waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads