• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Larger Failure of "Tyranny of Dragons"

hawkeyefan

Legend
I run a player-driven campaign, and my players are driven by the four pillars of spite, petty-mindedness, greed, and irrational affections for random NPCs.

I do reward role-play and investment in the game, but those are generally secondary considerations for my players.

So they do care about other things than merely surviving?

So they do care about other things than merely surviving?

As I said, they are motivated by the four pillars: spite, petty-mindedness, greed, and irrational affection for random NPCs.

Beyond that, it varies from campaign to campaign, and player to player. Last campaign, a western set in 1889, one player's chief motivation was dressing well, avoiding getting his clothes or shoes dirty, gambling, and annoying his father. Later in the campaign he got married and developed an interest in killing Chinese triads.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Would a Star Trek reference have any meaning to someone who despises stories?

Darmok when the walls fell
Um... So, I don't personally enjoy @Jd Smith1's preferred style of play, but what I certainly don't enjoy is the fact that you seem to be unwilling to let others play the game the way they want to play it.

I may want to tell deep and complex stories, often through the use of a sandbox environment, but if Jd Smith1 wants to play through OSR-style self-motivated 'completely open' sandboxes or something of that sort, then why can't you let him have his fun?

If Jd Smith's players felt belittled, and disliked his DMing style, they wouldn't show up. Evidently, they're having fun. Remember, there is no one way to play the game.

hawkeyefan

Legend
As I said, they are motivated by the four pillars: spite, petty-mindedness, greed, and irrational affection for random NPCs.

Beyond that, it varies from campaign to campaign, and player to player. Last campaign, a western set in 1889, one player's chief motivation was dressing well, avoiding getting his clothes or shoes dirty, gambling, and annoying his father. Later in the campaign he got married and developed an interest in killing Chinese triads.

Yes, as you said....but you also said there are no stakes beyond PC death so I’m just trying to reconcile these somewhat contradictory statements.

Remove ads