• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[The Le] comics-to-film reviews

tecnowraith

First Post
Are we talking about movies or tv shows here? Somehow we getting into comic heroes for tv shows now and this is a whole other thread. Why you ask, there are some may tv shows based on comic books and shows with superhero influence.

buzzard

First Post
Klaus said:
Cyclops is "the first X-Man". He was Xavier's first student, and of all the original X-Men, he was the only tragic one (couldn't turn his power off). He was a natural leader, and had the guts to sacrifice the love of his life in order to save the Universe in the Dark Phoenix Saga.

I'm dissapointed in you Klaus. I thought your comics-fu was stronger than this. Scott didn't sacrifice the love of his life, she killed herself. Scott just watched.

Back then, Wolverine was a secondary character. He only rose in popularity when John Byrne (also a Canadian) prodded Claremont into giving Wolvie the spotlight. Cyclops was actually the only original X-Man to be included in the new X-Men (Cyclops leading Storm, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Wolverine, Colossus and Kitty Pride).

And you have the new X Men a bit off (at least at the start). The initial new X Men were Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Colossus, Banshee, Sunfire, and Thunderbird. Kitty Pride was a much later addition. Sunfire and Thunderbird didn't last with the team very long for different reasons.

buzzard

Darth Shoju

First Post
TheLe said:
The how do you explain the crap they did to Patrick Stewart's Professor X character?

`Le

Crappy writing? Bad direction? I don't think them buggering up Prof X had anything to do with James Marsden.

TheLe

First Post
tecnowraith said:
Are we talking about movies or tv shows here? Somehow we getting into comic heroes for tv shows now and this is a whole other thread. Why you ask, there are some may tv shows based on comic books and shows with superhero influence.

My original thread talked about how much I did not like the NBC Heroes television show. Someone responded with "I have my doubt about you liking the [superhero] genre in a TV or motion-picture medium"... and that is why I started this thread.

I wanted to prove that I do in fact like many different genres in tv and movies, and especially superheroes.

~Le

tecnowraith

First Post
Ok with that reply we could movie tv show were have the followings.
Based on comic books (Live-action): Flash, batman, superman, lois and clark, superboy, smallville, spider-man, flash gordon, the shadow, phantom, wonder woman, hulk, shazam, Captain America and Doctor Strange (tv movies), Birds of Prey, Swamp Thing, The Tick, witchblade

Cartoon shows: Superman 80's and 90's, the batman, batman 90's, teen titans, spawn, legion of superheros, fantastic four 80's amd 2007, The Tick

Influenced by comic books (live-action): The mantis, Nightman, Supercop, The Six Million Dollar Man and its spin-off, The Bionic Woman, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Mutant X and Heroes, Isis, Greatest American Hero

Redrobes

First Post
Nice list Le. Im with The Merciful on Judge Dredd though. As a big fan I disliked the film immensely. I also disagree entirely with Tank Girl. Though I haven't read the comics I did enjoy the film in its zany / quirky style. Did I say entirely ??? Well I do agree that Naomi Watts was indeed really hot in that one :)

Theres a big budget TinTin being made soon but theres those films already done to consider too. But of them all I still like a few of the Asterix films the best. Some were waaay better than others though. The best of them were great tho.

TheLe

First Post
Scott Summers

Just to chime in about Scott Summers.

I first began reading Xbooks when X-FACTOR came out. Louise and Walter Simonson put alot of focus on Scott, and I was absolutely thrilled. He felt very human to me and was trying to balance his failed marriage, return of Jean Grey, successful/failed leadership, and his role as an Xavier minion.

All that translated into a very humanistic side of a character that people often blow off as "tightass". There is a lot of brooding there, but there is a lot going on in there.

Really Scott is a heck of a lot more than a mindless leader, and it shows quite a bit in the current Astonishing X-men run.

Wolverine, on the other hand, is a pretty boring character if you think about it. He's a man's man who drinks beer, smokes cigarettes, has claws, and doesn't have a care in the world because he has a healing factor. Sure he fights his Berserker Rage once in a while, but overall he is an incredibly 2-dimensional character. When you write about him, you are always writing about "Wolverine". I mean geez, why is he in every X-book and the Avengers book? Really, is he all that interesting? Not really. Take away the claws and you have a really uninteresting character.

However, when you write about Cyclops, you are really writing about "Scott Summers". With or without the optic blast power, he constantly struggles with his personal demons, and is still a leader to be reckoned with.

That is really the beauty of Scott Summers - he is a far more realistic and interesting than the overrated and overused "Hey Bub, I got claws" mutant that is popping up everywhere.

~LE

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
TheLe said:
Just to chime in about Scott Summers.

I first began reading Xbooks when X-FACTOR came out. Louise and Walter Simonson put alot of focus on Scott, and I was absolutely thrilled. He felt very human to me and was trying to balance his failed marriage, return of Jean Grey, successful/failed leadership, and his role as an Xavier minion.

All that translated into a very humanistic side of a character that people often blow off as "tightass". There is a lot of brooding there, but there is a lot going on in there.

Really Scott is a heck of a lot more than a mindless leader, and it shows quite a bit in the current Astonishing X-men run.

Wolverine, on the other hand, is a pretty boring character if you think about it. He's a man's man who drinks beer, smokes cigarettes, has claws, and doesn't have a care in the world because he has a healing factor. Sure he fights his Berserker Rage once in a while, but overall he is an incredibly 2-dimensional character. When you write about him, you are always writing about "Wolverine". I mean geez, why is he in every X-book and the Avengers book? Really, is he all that interesting? Not really. Take away the claws and you have a really uninteresting character.

However, when you write about Cyclops, you are really writing about "Scott Summers". With or without the optic blast power, he constantly struggles with his personal demons, and is still a leader to be reckoned with.

That is really the beauty of Scott Summers - he is a far more realistic and interesting than the overrated and overused "Hey Bub, I got claws" mutant that is popping up everywhere.

~LE

Damn stright. But Wolvie is Kewl and the kids love him.

Milagroso

First Post
Cyclops is underrated throughout the film. It seems that his purpose in the movie is to be an antagonist in the love triangle between Jean and Wolverine. Wolverine couldn't lead the team - he is a loner. He is a maverick. He practically needed a leash just to stay in check. The other members of the team looked up to him because he was older, wiser, and commanded respect. He was undoubtedly a bad ass. But not a leader.

I see the correlation in Cyclops and Aragorn.

Please note that Cyclops was *also* my least favorite character of X-Men. So, I'm not really sticking up for him as I am just calling it like I see it.

As for Wolverine, I didn't like Hugh Jackman for the roll anyway. They should have gotten someone who was shorter, beefier, had a deeper graver voice, and above all was less sensitive. His relationship with rogue in the movie was, in my opinion, inappropriate.

Now, just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of the team Power Pack? They were my favorite comic book as a little kid, but few have heard of them or even like them. Well, they made a TV series in Canada sometime in the 90's and I was wondering if anyone had seen that. I can't imagine it was any good, probably on par with the 90's Fantastic Four movie.

Klaus

First Post
buzzard said:
I'm dissapointed in you Klaus. I thought your comics-fu was stronger than this. Scott didn't sacrifice the love of his life, she killed herself. Scott just watched.

And you have the new X Men a bit off (at least at the start). The initial new X Men were Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Colossus, Banshee, Sunfire, and Thunderbird. Kitty Pride was a much later addition. Sunfire and Thunderbird didn't last with the team very long for different reasons.

buzzard
What can I say, I'm a DC guy. :)

That being said, I left out Thunderbird and Sunfire and included Kitty on purpose. The line-up without those two and with Kitty was more representative of that era.

Remove ads