Critical Role The Legend of Vox Machina: Bawdy, Bloody, and Funny

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

Legend_of_Vox_Machina_title_card_2021.jpg

If you've never watched Critical Role Season 1 or read any of the stories, TLoVM the animated series is easy to jump into. Instead of being exposition heavy or thrusting viewers into a lot of world building, it starts with some classic fantasy – especially fantasy RPG – tropes like a drunken bar brawl and mercenaries being killed (a TPK) by a mysterious force. Those scenes are delivered with hefty dose of humor, a bit of blood, and some nudity.

This isn't the '80s Saturday morning Dungeons & Dragons cartoon for kids. While there is gore, it's less than an episode of Invincible and far less than that show's season 1 finale. Similarly, TLoVM has nudity and a bit of sex in the first few episodes, but far less than Game of Thrones.

Vox Machina is an established group at the start of the series, but one that needs money and has a less than stellar reputation. The land of Emon is being ravaged by a mysterious threat. A bit of desperation on both sides leads to the bickering heroes taking the job.

TLoVM is bawdy, bloody, and funny, but it also has heart. The first two episodes tell a complete story with an obvious hook at the end that leads into the rest of the episodes – and a stinger hinting at new threats.

Legend-of-Vox-Machina-premiere-date-Critical-Role-Amazon.png

The animation style has clean lines with some anime influence, but nothing excessively intricate or artsy. At the same, the art direction has style, like a scene that adds interest to the characters walking by showing it through a spider's web dotted with raindrops.

The first episode establishes the eight members of Vox Machina quickly with the following episodes building nicely upon each character's traits. Matthew Mercer voices several of the supporting characters, but in this format he doesn't have to cover all of the NPCs. The guest star talent includes David Tennant, Stephanie Beatriz, Tony Hale. Felica Day is the voice of a bandit.

And if they don't sell a stuffed toy bear version of Trinket at some point, Critical Role is missing out on a merchandise opportunity. TLoVM hits the perfect sweet spot between making Vex's companion bear fierce in battle, amusing when waiting, and adorable the rest of the time.

No critic has been given advance access to the entire first season, let alone all 24 episodes, so it's impossible to say how well the entire story arc plays out, but the first few episodes are entertaining and well made.

Critical-Role-Cast-Photo-2019-Anna-Azarov.jpg

You don't have to be a fan of Critical Role to enjoy The Legend of Vox Machina, but if you're a fan of fantasy adventure, TLoVM might turn you into Critter. The Legend of Vox Machina debuts on Amazon Prime on Friday, January 28, with the first three episodes. Critical Role will be holding watch parties on their Twitch channel at 7pm Tuesdays.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Incorrect, I'm saying regular viewers (non-player and unitiated to D&D) don't know what Critical Role is. They are out of the loop. Not me.
opps Okay I misunderstood you.

I think you misunderstood my complaint. I don't care what some random person thinks (especially if they are half a world away) but people who know me and are not gamers (my father, my brother in law, my ex's my current girlfriend, my non gaming buddies) that know just enough to think of it as the new D&D cartoon are going to have some weird reactions if they think it is ANYTHING like the experience around the table.

I have played family dynasties that have spanned 2e 4e and now 5e (I didn't play one in 3e even though I did play 3e) in a campagin world that has lasted out of game 40 years (I have only been playing in it since 97) and had kids in game and had previous characters of mine show up as fathers/grandfathers... not once did we roleplay the sex scene. not in highschool, not in college, not now pre covid. never.

I ran a game (it was 1 campaign but it had time travel) that had not only a PC end up in love with and marrying a silver dragon, and meeting his own grand children even though pretime travel he had only 1 child and they were a baby his grandchildren were both from said son and a yet unborn daughter... still no sex roleplayed.

I played a quise horny bard type in a mostly throw away game 2 1/2 years ago when we were testing how roll20 worked before we decided if it was how we would continue our campaign... the was 0.00% chance that a barfight could break out and stumble into a room with me bedding the elven woman...becuse sex isn't a big part (it is always background if at all) of our games... and in my experence that is pretty common.

Mezuka

Hero
opps Okay I misunderstood you.

I think you misunderstood my complaint. I don't care what some random person thinks (especially if they are half a world away) but people who know me and are not gamers (my father, my brother in law, my ex's my current girlfriend, my non gaming buddies) that know just enough to think of it as the new D&D cartoon are going to have some weird reactions if they think it is ANYTHING like the experience around the table.

I have played family dynasties that have spanned 2e 4e and now 5e (I didn't play one in 3e even though I did play 3e) in a campagin world that has lasted out of game 40 years (I have only been playing in it since 97) and had kids in game and had previous characters of mine show up as fathers/grandfathers... not once did we roleplay the sex scene. not in highschool, not in college, not now pre covid. never.

I ran a game (it was 1 campaign but it had time travel) that had not only a PC end up in love with and marrying a silver dragon, and meeting his own grand children even though pretime travel he had only 1 child and they were a baby his grandchildren were both from said son and a yet unborn daughter... still no sex roleplayed.

I played a quise horny bard type in a mostly throw away game 2 1/2 years ago when we were testing how roll20 worked before we decided if it was how we would continue our campaign... the was 0.00% chance that a barfight could break out and stumble into a room with me bedding the elven woman...becuse sex isn't a big part (it is always background if at all) of our games... and in my experence that is pretty common.
If they know you well, which I assume they do, they should be able to tell the difference between you and a TV show. Owning a gun and going to the shooting range doesn't make you a TV show mass murdered.

If they make strange or funny remarks just tell them how it is. Simple as that. You might even gain a new player!

Well, I just finished episode 9, and my review so far as a fan who watched the entirety of campaign one livestream gameplay (373 hours according to critrolestats.com... probably could have done something better with my life) continues to be that it's a fantastic adaptation. I have nitpicks here or there (seriously, they could have cut out half of the obvious hints towards a Vax/Keyleth romance and it would have established that character relationship fine), but it is satisfyingly covering everything, with lots of nods to the "source material" for those of us who have seen it. Virtually everything I actually find memorable from the episodes being adapted has at least been acknowledged in some way, and that is an accomplishment.

And there is something extraordinary about the degree to which the elements of a game experience are dictating the plot of this show. From a tv storytelling standpoint I'm not sure I really agree with the decision to include Pike's absence, caused by her player not being able to make a few sessions, and reintegrating her in the same handwavey way that they did in the game, but I respect the authenticity of it to the D&D experience.

HammerMan

Legend
Well, I think it may have worked for some shows. That Game of Thrones, starting with bodies torn asunder by undead, beheading someone that ran ffor their life, incest, and throwing a child off a tower ... That show did ok.
an me and my fiancé loved that. so maybe this one being even more over the top should say something

Mezuka

Hero
From a tv storytelling standpoint I'm not sure I really agree with the decision to include Pike's absence, caused by her player not being able to make a few sessions, and reintegrating her in the same handwavey way that they did in the game, but I respect the authenticity of it to the D&D experience.
So that is what happened. I didn't watch season 1 of CR. It worked for me.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I’m enjoying it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Most shows like this front-load the ‘intense’ stuff to show you how ‘intense’ they are. Game of Thrones did it for sure. Deadwood, yes. It’s how they prep you for what the style is going to be and it also typically takes the writers, actors, etc to find their dramatic/style footing and the right balance and flow. And I don’t find it any less mature than the CR show itself. The show is full of that kind of humor.

I think they’re doing a good job of making it entertaining and engaging. The current story arc is certainly entertaining me. It’s a lot to pack into several 22 minute episodes and they do a good job of doing it imho. I enjoyed the dragon fight at the beginning too. I mean, do you have to squint at times to miss the plot holes or continuity problems? Sure. But really, what other D&Dish cartoon do we have to compare it to? The Dragonlance movie?

I’ll take this style over cutesy fantasy (uni the unicorn, snarf, etc) any day. YMMV.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
This can't even view the same universe as the lows of toilet humor in much more lauded shows like Rick and Morty.

While I would l love to say otherwise, the writing in this show cannot approach the writing of Rick and Morty.

I find the show amusing enough, but it's not at that level.

As for the toilet humor - I wouldn't (and haven't) watch the show with my wife. She's generally not into toilet humor and the show is not written well enough for me to try to revise her opinion!

I considered watching the show with my 14 year old son. But decided not to. I'm sure he's seen much "worse" from a swearing or nudity perspective, but I think I would just be uncomfortable watching it with him!

Vaalingrade

Legend
While I would l love to say otherwise, the writing in this show cannot approach the writing of Rick and Morty.
Not saying it does, just that Rick and Morty has intensely, deeply worse toilet humor when it brings it to bear. R&M, for all of its smart writing, falls back to just plain gross-out humor a lot.

And again, not saying R&M's writing isn't good but it itself can't hold a candle to Futurama, even for the crowd that thinks cynical=mature/good writing.

Remove ads

Remove ads