The Legend of Vox Machina (Spoilers)

Yeah, in the actual campaign there was a bit of dissonance as it dawned on the players that these particular dragons were not enemies they could defeat yet ("wait, 21 missed!?"). In the cartoon show they are a little freer from the expectations of D&D.
If I remember right, that's actually in the episode also when Grog snaps his axe. That was the 'Wait, a 21 doesn't hit?' scene

I dunno. I enjoyed last season well enough, but I watched the first two episodes of this season, and it was unrelenting events with very little time to breathe and, like, tell a story. The main characters had so little agency as they rush from action-sequence-against-a-foe-we-don't-care-about to social-scene-where-their-efforts-are-fruitless.

I wasn't enjoying it.

I think it was a mistake to start the season right at the moment of last season's cliffhanger. Too many characters doing too much at once meant I didn't get invested this time.

Maybe I'll go back to it when I've got nothing else to watch.

I dunno. I enjoyed last season well enough, but I watched the first two episodes of this season, and it was unrelenting events with very little time to breathe and, like, tell a story. The main characters had so little agency as they rush from action-sequence-against-a-foe-we-don't-care-about to social-scene-where-their-efforts-are-fruitless.

I wasn't enjoying it.

I think it was a mistake to start the season right at the moment of last season's cliffhanger. Too many characters doing too much at once meant I didn't get invested this time.

Maybe I'll go back to it when I've got nothing else to watch.
I think you have a point, about jumping from action sequence to action sequence, and the difficulty with starting right from the cliffhanger. Starting right from the cliffhanger, while making sense, feels like it assumes people did a rewatch leading up to S2E1. How fast things went until they got basically to Vasselheim did feel like the BSG episode '33', where the point of the episode was to show how exhausted they were getting being under constant attack (on BSG, the jump engines could only be used every 33 minutes)

Remove ads