The Legend of Vox Machina (Spoilers)

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah, I didn't have the heart to tell my wife that these sphinxes were way cooler than the D&D default ones.
The full 5e sphinx is a CR17, so it’s no slouch. For example you could flavor its single hit knockout of each of the team as the banishment spell it can cast. (Though that pesky concentration rule comes into play, but that could be some cool lair effect)

The biggest difference is on the defense, a sphinx defensively is not very impressive, but was nigh invulnerable against vox machina. It does have immunity to non magic weapons, but several of the team have those weapons by now.

A lot of that is the reality of bounded accuracy. In 5e, you always have a reasonable chance to hit and be hit, gone are the days where a higher level foe was “invincible”. So most 5e monsters aren’t going to hold up the narrative weight that the show places on them

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The full 5e sphinx is a CR17, so it’s no slouch. For example you could flavor its single hit knockout of each of the team as the banishment spell it can cast. (Though that pesky concentration rule comes into play, but that could be some cool lair effect)

The biggest difference is on the defense, a sphinx defensively is not very impressive, but was nigh invulnerable against vox machina. It does have immunity to non magic weapons, but several of the team have those weapons by now.

A lot of that is the reality of bounded accuracy. In 5e, you always have a reasonable chance to hit and be hit, gone are the days where a higher level foe was “invincible”. So most 5e monsters aren’t going to hold up the narrative weight that the show places on them
If one was going to stat up the cartoon version of the sphinxes (which are clearly distinct from the livestream campaign characters), I assume they'd all be upgraded further with unique legendary goodies as well.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In an ideal world, the board technology would support tags that would allow posts to appear in multiple forums. Critical Role is hardly the only topic that potentially bridges multiple forums.

Ryujin

Legend
In an ideal world, the board technology would support tags that would allow posts to appear in multiple forums. Critical Role is hardly the only topic that potentially bridges multiple forums.
Sounds like someone needs to develope a forum that works like Gmail; using labels, rather than folders/threads.

The cartoon isn't specifically D&D though, and has attracted a wider audience. And this subforum isn't just geek talk, it's Geek Talk & Media.

It is D&D though, Exandria is literally part of the D&D multiverse, the Gods are D&D Gods, the races are D&D races, 5 colours of Dragons, the classes, the hidden underlying mechanics of the cartoon are D&D, it's literally based on a long D&D Campaign played by CR, it doesn't get much more D&D then that.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It is D&D though, Exandria is literally part of the D&D multiverse, the Gods are D&D Gods, the races are D&D races, 5 colours of Dragons, the classes, the hidden underlying mechanics of the cartoon are D&D, it's literally based on a long D&D Campaign played by CR, it doesn't get much more D&D then that.
I feel like it probably could be more D&D if it hadn't started off as a Pathfinder campaign.

I feel like it probably could be more D&D if it hadn't started off as a Pathfinder campaign.

Pathfinder IS D&D in all but trade marks. There is a few minor Pathfinder influences, like 1 God and maybe the dude carrying the gun, I can't think of too many more, hell even the traces of 4e are stronger, they use the Dawn War Pantheon with the exception of the 1 Pathfinder (renamed) deity and those idol demigods and Sacred Weapons.

Remove ads