D&D General The limiting drawback of character customization

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The problem with using Greek terms is they inevitable cause people to assume a Greek (polytheistic) worldview.
>shrug<

I just assume that anyway, and have done with it.

Most ancient cultures were polytheistic to some degree or other, not just the Greeks.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Most ancient cultures were polytheistic to some degree or other, not just the Greeks.
and those that became monotheistic began polytheistic but he is talking about earlier yet.
Most wearable magic items in our games do this, at least to some extent.
The word I think of is "ergonomic"... and it's not just about wearables it's the entire relationship between magic and its users/wielders which is different which is why I mentioned fated wielders and items that grow with the users and items which become magical from the enemies they kill and items that reform to users needs and items that cleave to bloodlines and so on magic was more alive back when. I think treating it as just "tech" really misses out on story and distinctions that show sure science may have eventually said no it doesn't work that way but that measured and disciplined / controlled thinking wasn't part of a lot of human history when the concept of magic was very dominant.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Seems a better option than crippling the player.......

Keeps you out of jail, too.
Maybe some communication is better? like:
"Hey you are drawing the fun away from the table. Maybe you should tone it down?"
instead of:
"Well, your character is a combat beast, so I just won't give you the magic weapon you need to hit a monster ever again"

Also, chances are that a DM who's running a canned module is doing to in order to save some time and effort, so accusing said DM of laziness for not putting in some of the very time and effort they're trying to save seems a bit off somehow.
Just changing "dagger" for "glaive" or "sword" for "morningstar" if nobody on the party uses daggers nor swords?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just changing "dagger" for "glaive" or "sword" for "morningstar" if nobody on the party uses daggers nor swords?
While I see your point, I much prefer if the game world just neutrally is what it is without regard for whatever particular PCs might be running around in it at the moment.

Find a bunch of magic daggers that nobody can use?* Fine. Have your glaive-wielding PC claim them from treasury, take 'em back to town, and trade 'em in as down payment on commissioning of an enchanted glaive. (if the DM doesn't allow items to be commissioned you've got a bigger problem; all these magic items come from somewhere, which by logical extention means that 'somewhere' can build you a magic glaive)

* - given that nowadays pretty much every class in the game can use daggers and that it was on almost every class' permitted list even in 1e, dagger might not be the best example of a weapon that needs to be swapped out. :)

Remove ads