• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Logic (or Lack of) in D&D

We had a slightly strange yet funny moment in my D&D session last night. The Sorcerer was Flying and Invisible. He flew over the top of the Yuan-Ti and Kobold that the party was fighting so I asked him to make a Move Silently roll to see if they can hear him.

The player thought it was a bit silly since he wasn't actually doing anything besides flying in a straight line but I ruled that he might have items knocking together in the wind and making some noise.

The player rolled reasonably well and told me his Move Silently check. Just as I was about to roll the baddies Listen checks, he said, "Wait, I get a +5 due to my Boot of Elvenkind." The whole table cracked up laughing! :lol:

As illogical as it seemed that a pair of boots helped you fly more silently, I still let him keep the +5 from them and he went past the baddies without them noticing.

From a reality point of view it really doesn't make sense but I have gotten to the stage now where I realise that D&D rules and their ability to simulate reality diverge in many places. I accept that and just don't worry whether or not it makes complete logical sense. Of course, this is a place where people throw around Fireballs, fly around and and fight Dragons and other strange beasts. Reality in a D&D world is obviously very different to ours.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Olaf the Stout

Last edited:

kenobi65

First Post
In our old campaign, this sort of thing was always explained as "FM". F***ing magic. No further explanation was possible, or, usually, necessary.

In my game, the hierarchy for handling any situation is:

1. Common Sense.
2. Rules.

I don't think I'd have asked for a roll at all, in this situation. I definitey wouldn't allow elven boots to modify the roll. The rules are your servant, not your master.

My $0.02, for what it's worth...

It *is* called Move Silently, not Walk Silently; ergo, you would have to make such checks even when not Walking. There'd be a hefty bonus in the above situation, though.

Also, the Boots provide a bonus not because they're soft and make less crunchy noises when walking, but because they provide a magical sound reducing field. That's how I'd play it, anyway.

-TRRW

theredrobedwizard said:
Also, the Boots provide a bonus not because they're soft and make less crunchy noises when walking, but because they provide a magical sound reducing field.
Aha! I finally understand why people wearing elven boots always look like they're shouting and screaming to make themselves heard! It's kinda like the "talking with headphones on" thing... :D

Philotomy Jurament said:
In my game, the hierarchy for handling any situation is:

1. Common Sense.
2. Rules.

I don't think I'd have asked for a roll at all, in this situation. I definitey wouldn't allow elven boots to modify the roll. The rules are your servant, not your master.

My $0.02, for what it's worth...

I reasoned that a roll was needed because there could quite easily be wind blowing you around up there. The character in question was carrying a spiked chain. I imagine that it could make quite a bit of noise as it jangled around.

I also reasoned that the boots should modify the roll because of a reasoning much like the Red Robed Wizard suggested. They are magical.

Olaf the Stout

Sir Elton

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Olaf the Stout

When I run campaigns, I stress about wind patterns, the Coriolis effect, dumb things like Supervolcanoes, etc. I'm a Simulationist. So, yeah, I would say: "no, you don't."

Remove ads