The Long Road to Hell- Chronicles of Carolina SATURDAY 9-1 FULL!

Belen

Adventurer
NOTE: There is a strong likelihood that I will run this one again on Sunday morning if there is enough interest and it seems that may be the case.

The Fall- January 2036

WRAL-News at Five-- "…and now the top story of the night. Officials at the U.S. Department of Energy have announced that the Shearon-Harris nuclear power facility in Raleigh, NC has been granted permission to begin construction of the first nuclear fusion reactor in history. They have complied with all safety measures, including the construction of a 50ft. earth and stone wall that completely surrounds the plant. Officials say that this one facility could power the entire southeast for…… oh god….. this just in! A large meteor has impacted the Pacific. Reports indicate a tidal wave approximately one mile high is threatening the entire Pacific Coast…."

From the private journal of Dr. John Packard, Kennedy Space Center-- If only it was one. In a few hours, the first impact will hit the Pacific. Projections show that the damage to nations bordering the ocean will be catastrophic, but the world could still recover from that one impact. Soon, they will find that the meteor is only one part of a much larger rock. Who would have thought that the comet would shatter Ceres or that the debris would head towards us….

From the Diary of Senator Ralph Dole-- I guess we’re lucky in that it will not all hit at once. While the debris will play merry hell with our satellites, it will take nearly a year for it all to fall and calculations show that the largest pieces should enter a stable orbit. God, the devastation! Civilization cannot, will not survive, but maybe humanity will. If only Congress has not slashed the last appropriations bill. Those power sats could have turned the rocks away…

After the Pacific strike, pieces of rock, some the size of baseballs, others houses, peppered the entire Northern Hemisphere. Much of western society collapsed. Even the US with its mighty ability to deal with natural disaster could not begin to deal with the damage and loss of life. It did not take long for the cities to fall into barbarism as the food and water stopped. The South and Midwest of the United States seceded to avoid having to provide relief to the North and West and civil war erupted soon after.

In the Middle East, a brutal war began, and ended, in a few short hours as Israel, India, and Pakistan proved their nuclear capability. Few survived the nuclear exchange to see another meteor devastated the region.

China, too, suffered an attack as the Russians attempted to move south. The Russo-China conflict lasted for a few short months, until a scattering of small meteors ripped into the region.

The final rock fell in late 2036 impacting the Atlantic Ocean. While not as large as the meteor that fell into the Pacific, it had the same effect. In most areas, the ocean spread two, three hundred miles inland. However, the Outer Banks of North Carolina helped alleviate some of energy of that final strike….

Even so, the rains were incessant, and little sunlight broke lighted the devastated world. And it grew cool on a world gone dark…

The Roads have birthed a nightmare. Can your group of ragged refugees make it inland? Rumors tell you that the nuclear power plant, Shearon-Harris survived. A garbled military transmission indicates a food cache in Dunn.

Can you avoid the Eaters? Can you survive the Long Road?

I usually have six slots open in my games. Signup will begin once a final day for the game has been determined. Feel free to express interest. If enough people want to play, then I may run it twice:

Players
Slot 1: Bubbalicious
Slot 2: Dire Wolf
Slot 3: Frukathka
Slot 4: Galaxy
Slot 5: FickleGM
Slot 6: Seonaid

Last edited:

Belen

Adventurer
Characters

#1: Magdalene West- Former Jesuit Priestess- Even though she took advantage of the third reformation to become a priest, she has a deep love for the old faith. She is an avid fan of both ancient history an ancient weapons. She studied for the priesthood in the Vatican after college. Even though she had been an amateur fencing champion while at UNC-Chapel Hill, she learned more than a few deadly maneuvers from the elite Swiss Guards. She returned to North Carolina a few weeks before the Fall just shy of becoming a full priest. Now, she wears the garb of a priest and a warrior, praying to find a path on this Fallen Earth. She carries several ancient daggers and a Damascus-steel rapier.

#2: Major Beth Guthrie- The first lady to win a Medal of Honor for Combat and the youngest Major in USMC history at 25. Her platoon held a pass for five days against an entire brigade, allowing the Marine Corps to cut off and decimate an entire Chinese Mechanized battalion and ending the US-Chinese War of 2035. Stationed at Camp Lejeune, she was leading a refugee convoy inland when the final meteor hit the Atlantic. Most of her company deserted after Lejeune was destroyed. She is tough and determined, but has a way of making people feel at ease. She is a graduate of NC State. She carries an old-style M-16 with an M80 attached, a colt .45, and a combat utility knife.

#3: Matt Willis- Park Ranger- A member of the US Forestry services, he was fighting for the right to see his child just before the Fall. He is a quiet, intense man who is searching for his ex-wife and young daughter. He is both a great hunter and tracker and has survived where many others have died. A family man without a family, he will do anything to find his loved ones. He tends to relate more to wild creatures, but he does like people and will help where he can. He carries a hatchet, bowie knife and a hunting rifle.

#4: Steve Mercer- He had just completed his residency at Duke when Fall began. A Durham gang burned down the Duke hospital while he was away and his fiancé and friends died in the fire. He now carries his father’s vintage colt revolvers (with matching fast draw holsters.) He tries to help people in need using hi medical skills, but he is not afraid to kill to save himself or his companions. Steve has become hardened since the Fall and some begin to worry about him.

#5: Lt. Tom (Skip) Taylor- This rowdy Texan served as a test pilot for the USAF and had been chosen to join the newly established United States Space Navy before the fall. He was stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro in time for the final meteor impact and flew a group of survivors out of the base just before it washed away. Tom was captured by the Final Judgment for a brief time and some people can still see a haunted look around his eyes. His favored weapon is a Glock 17 and he carries a wicked combat utility knife in his boot.

#6: Miguel Waters: Before the fall, Miguel was an accomplished hacker, mechanic, cat burglar and capoeira fanatic. After the fall, however, his natural intelligence and gift for securing even the most difficult to obtain basic needs made him a hero. His natural gift with chemistry and mechanics made him a true member of the team. Miguel prefers to get close to his foes and use his natural weapons, although he carries around a 10 gauge scattergun, just in case.

Belen

Adventurer
John Crichton said:
This sounds fun! Based on the CM apoc thread, by any chance or is this something you've run before?

I run Chronicles at the NC Game days all the time. This is the game that I ran in April and I am going to run it again at GenCon.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
This has the potential for lots of fun. I am definetely interest, time permitting. If time constraint isn't a factor, I could bring a friend; Fru + 1.

Capellan

Explorer
I'd be interested, depending on timing. I'm currently free all Thursday, all Sunday, and all Friday except 10am-2pm, but I also need to fit in Rystil Arden's Iron Heroes game.

Last edited:

Remove ads