• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Magic Items that WotC cannot publish

samursus

Explorer
I really don't see the problem.

While I understand, and even empathize with those lamenting the loss of "magical" magic items from D&D, I don't think its that big a deal.

4e has merely adjusted the bar to a default low-magic-ish setting, which many DMs have houseruled on their own throughout the editions.

I mean, they can't please everyone right?

This way however, as I think most people might agree, it is always easier to ADD something into a rules set than to take it away.

And with 4e's philosophy of "saying Yes" and "everything is core", it would be problematic (only on a conceptual level, but potent nonetheless) to have powerful magic items "in the system" as a default.

It feels to me like there is no happy medium... either you have a system where the magic items are powerful and then become required/no-brainer choices to own OR have a pared down system, where the DM can inject such wonders when and where it fits his game.

I am not saying DM's cannot restrict such items if they were there, but with the prevailing technology (CB) and "Say Yes" attitude, I think its more efficient and just plain easier to not tempt the players by having an uber-powered shopping list.

Plus, what could be more mysterious and magical than introducing a magic item into the game that the players would have never even conceived or read of in the RAW? (assuming 4e knowledge only) AND is waaay more powerful than anything they can buy or create?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
It feels to me like there is no happy medium... either you have a system where the magic items are powerful and then become required/no-brainer choices to own OR have a pared down system, where the DM can inject such wonders when and where it fits his game.

Or they're items you can't buy.

:U

Honestly, I think the issue here is that "say yes" isn't advice, it's mandated. You can talk about DM rulings as much as you want, but when the game itself states that it's built specifically for DM rulings to not matter, you have an issue.

As for "Well I can just make my own awesome items," yes, you can. You, the DM who has been playing D&D for years and has tons of experience.

I thought 4e was for the new player?

samursus

Explorer
Or they're items you can't buy.

:U

Honestly, I think the issue here is that "say yes" isn't advice, it's mandated. You can talk about DM rulings as much as you want, but when the game itself states that it's built specifically for DM rulings to not matter, you have an issue.

As for "Well I can just make my own awesome items," yes, you can. You, the DM who has been playing D&D for years and has tons of experience.

I thought 4e was for the new player?

My point being that the new player probably has no problems with the magic item system as is... its mostly we grognards who miss the stronger magic items of earlier editions.

Mandated is a strong word. Every edition has its biases. And I think Rule 0 is just as potent in 4th... its just that the system endeavors to take away the most glaring of mechanical reasons to say NO.

fuzzlewump

First Post
The new players I've introduced to RPG's to with 4E haven't complained about magical items at all. Given, it's only been 2 people, but just anecdotally the wonder or whatever of magical items might be the result of comparison to previous editions rather than considering the merits objectively. Now, I have no idea how to consider the merits objectively, but since it wasn't a complaint, that's all I have to go off of.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Magic items are the one source of disappointment for me in 4e. I'd rather they get rid of them all together; or just keep the iconic cool ones.

I've had only disinterest from my players with them, I have to keep reminding them to use their magic item powers. And there are just tooo many, with minor plus here and a small power there.

Big Wazzoo: I wants it. I can handle it, I can....

AllisterH

First Post
Even if the PCs couldn't buy/create these "greater magic items", there's STILL the problem that once they do have them, they'll warp the campaign as the DM for the next 10plus levels has to deal with them.

Artifacts have an out as they naturally, thanks to them being sentient, can move on of their own free will.

Nebulous

Legend
Well, that's the thing, really. The statement they cannot publish them is... bogus. In the extreme. They darned well could publish them - put a big honkin' warning label on them saying, "These are dangerous to your game's balance, DMs may introduce these into their games at their own discretion".

This would violate their "all things are core" philosophy. Big whoop. Standing on principle here is not a virtue, if it prevents them from publishing things that inspire DMs.

Hell yes. As much as it makes me glad to see that the designers "realize" that they could have made magic items much more dynamic and interesting, it greatly pains me that they have no intention of doing anything about it (at least in this point of the lifecycle of 4e; toward the end of 4e that sentiment might change).

I would purchase a DM book of Special Magic Items in a heartbeat. I've aleady been adding some of my own to the campaign, but my players tend to completely forget about magic items in the Character Builder doesn't make it official. Which sucks.

Is there a way to contribute to a community project where we can actually make a free book like this?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads