D&D 5E The Mainstreaming of D&D

Vaalingrade

Legend
I just get the sense 5e really doesn't want characters to ever die, and tries to thwart that possibility as much as possible. Which seems to please a vast majority of newer players.
See, I'm someone who thinks character death is boring and I don't see that. I see anemic healing, the double death save fail rule, and stuff like the critters that hit your HP max instead of your HP and kill you at 0 and that doesn't please me.

Reynard

Legend
I think the reason it may come off that way to some is that you point out a very specific set of aesthetic options that exist in a large pool of choices, many of which are very blood and mud still. For example, if you compare the art, flavor, and options between Strathaven, Icewind Dale, Ravenloft, and Acquisitions Inc., you get a huge swath of different flavors to choose from.
To be fair, I was asked a question and gave a somewhat flippant answer that while true wasn't especially nuanced. While you are right in saying there is a broad cross section of different flavors in 5E, I think if you look you can fairly easily see the trend I am talking about. It's what I mentally refer to as the MCu Effect: sure, there are lots of different Marvel movies and heroes with different aesthetics, but overall they are very similar in tone and in a specific way meant to produce a broad appeal. D&D is in similar state, I think.

And before anyone pulls out the pitchforks: I don't mean that in a pejorative way. I like the MCU. But it is intentionally samey and consistent and built for mainstream tastes, and D&D is like that too. And as I noted in my OP, this isn't the first time. The transition to 2E occurred at a similar height of popularity and attempt to breach the mainstream.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Speaking as someone who bought secondhand 1E books for the art, and a fan of Dungeon Crawl Classics (another recommendation of another game that hits an indie niche), I do get what you are saying., @Reynard . However, I wouldn't say that D&D has left that older style behind, but expanded into multiple simultaneous styles: Ravenloft, Strixhaven, and Tasha's are doing some stylistically diverse things. Check out these new Magic cards from the New D&D Set for a more old school flavor that persists, note the artist credits:

en_3URIv8gnxB.png
en_MBR4lKr6UT.png
en_1biiR0rsiX.png
en_Bb87hSOIL6.png

I think this review of RotFM was succinct in its description of the 5e aesthetic:

Simply put, Rime of the Frostmaiden feels like the first adventure module in another era. It’s an era that begins with Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and continues through Eberron: Rising from the Last War, Guildmaster’s Guide to Ravnica/Mythic Odysseys of Theros, and Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. One of the defining features of this era is a move towards more larger than life moments. Inside the books above and, in Frostmaiden as well, you’ll come across moments that feel like something you’d find in an actual play stream or podcast. And it’s little wonder, considering that streaming/casting shows are on the rise right now. Whether it’s racing on giant infernal war machines that are part machine, part demon, all metal–or dealing with an Awakened Plesiosaur, moments that feel meant for “good TV” abound in the game. Which isn’t a bad thing. Not by any stretch.

In fact some of the more over-the-top moments are among the standout features of Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. Seriously, this is one of the more whimsical D&D adventures if you take little more than a passing glance: you ride on the back of a magical Narwhal, deal with all sorts of magical nonsense like Living Spells gone awry, potentially even fight a goddess while investigating the magitech ruins of a past age. Not that there’s a shortage of serious moments either, but Frostmaiden is meant to feel fun. You might be asking, isn’t that a good thing? Shouldn’t all adventures be fun?

For me, I just wish they would switch up the art style, it just feels uninspired at this point (though, I never liked the 5e art)

Remove ads