"The Marvels" - Teaser

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's got characters I like, and the overall conceit of the movie looks fun. I'll probably go see this one in theaters.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
And Lee Pace.

Captain Marvel was fine, but the new one has Kamala Khan in it so therefore I am excited!
The list is so long that it's easier to list the villains who aren't terrible;

MCU Definitive Villain Ranking List:
GREAT
1) Michael B. Jordan (Killmonger)
2) Tom Hiddleston* (Loki)
3) Cate Blanchett (Hela)
4) Jake Gyllenhal (Mysterio)
5) Michael Keaton (Vulture)
-----------------------------
GOOD
6) Jeff Bridges (Iron Monger)
7) Jude Law (Yon-Rogg)
------------------------------
OKAY-to-BAD
8) Everyone else

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah 1.1 billion off a $160 million budget, so that's a very good return.

I mean according to the Dnd movie flop vs hit discussions box office numbers apparently don't matter, but for those who like numbers there they are.

The box office formula is fairly standard. If it makes Captain Marvel level of money it's a massive hit if it makes less than double its budget it's a bomb if it makes between X2 or X2.5 it's budget it gets a bit debatable. If its makes more than 2.5 it's budget it's probably in the clear and it's profitable or hit depending on how much it makes.

So it probably needs to make around 4-500 million to break even at the box office (idk how much it's budget is could be more/less).

Clint_L

Hero

GREAT
3) Cate Blanchett (Hela)
GOOD
7) Jude Law (Yon-Rogg)
OKAY-to-BAD
8) Everyone else
You have Thanos as okay-to-bad?

Respectfully disagree. Also, I'm a big fan of Zemo.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
You have Thanos as okay-to-bad?

Respectfully disagree. Also, I'm a big fan of Zemo.
Haven't watched Winter & Falcon Soldier, which I've heard does a lot to make Zemo... actually a character, I guess.

I will, however, strongly pass on big purple neo-malthusianist. "Overpopulation" is a stupid motive in the real life and it's a stupider motive in big space opera comic book movies. I'd've liked him better if he was still just thirsting over the living anthropomorphism of death. Not actively terrible, just the epitome of the MCU servicable-level villain. Only bigger.

Zardnaar

Legend
Haven't watched Winter & Falcon Soldier, which I've heard does a lot to make Zemo... actually a character, I guess.

I will, however, strongly pass on big purple neo-malthusianist. "Overpopulation" is a stupid motive in the real life and it's a stupider motive in big space opera comic book movies. I'd've liked him better if he was still just thirsting over the living anthropomorphism of death. Not actively terrible, just the epitome of the MCU servicable-level villain. Only bigger.

There wasn't anything compelling about him IMHO. He's big he's purple and wants to kill 50% of the population. Evil yes compelling meh.

Lomita on the other hand.

The first Captain Marvel movie was the 2nd highest grossing MCU solo feature when it first came out, behind only Black Panther. Even the worst-grossing MCU film (The Eternals) still earned back 2x its budget.

I think they'll be just fine.

Quantumania is really pushing that break-even line and may not cross it on ticket sales alone. I think it would be the first MCU film to not make a profit at the box office? And Eternals should have a * by it due to being released during the pandemic and that impact on ticket sales.

Zardnaar

Legend
The first Captain Marvel movie was the 2nd highest grossing MCU solo feature when it first came out, behind only Black Panther. Even the worst-grossing MCU film (The Eternals) still earned back 2x its budget.

I think they'll be just fine.

Yup Eternals is the whipping boy of the MCU. IDK if it n
m9ade money or not though as it's box office take is in the idk zone.

Can't really call it a bomb or flop though. Underperformed maybe but idk.

Staffan

Legend

GREAT
3) Cate Blanchett (Hela)
GOOD
7) Jude Law (Yon-Rogg)
OKAY-to-BAD
8) Everyone else
I'd claim Jeff Goldblum's Grand Master in the Great category, even if he's a "side villain". And if you're including Spider-Man movies, I think Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus could use at least an honorable mention.

But the main point is well taken, the MCU could use a better standard of villainy. Right now, I'm hoping they won't eff up Doctor Doom or, if they have him as more of a villain, Magneto.

Remove ads