• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Monster Project

Neil Bishop

First Post
Just a quick note of appreciation for all the work you've put in.

This is a "me too" post. You really deserve XP from everyone. I've learnt a lot about 4E from your posts and having the conversions is a real bonus.

Thanks again for sharing all your work with the rest of us.

the Jester

Legend
Le bump.

I haven't worked on this in quite some time, but I think I'll have a few hours for it later this week. I want to cull the remaining monsters on my list that are in the MM2 first though.

Zarithar

Adventurer
First off, another thank you for what you have done. Your list/conversions fill in a lot of gaps which even the MM2 doesn't appear to fill (animals for instance such as great cats and bears).

I'm specifically looking for help creating a giant constrictor snake of around 3rd level. I'm guessing perhaps it could be a mundane python or anaconda. Any ideas on this or is there a template out there for one already that I have missed?

Thanks!

the Jester

Legend
I'm specifically looking for help creating a giant constrictor snake of around 3rd level. I'm guessing perhaps it could be a mundane python or anaconda. Any ideas on this or is there a template out there for one already that I have missed?

First of all, I hope this isn't too late to help out!

That said:

Hmm, crushgrip contrictor is 9th level... you could downlevel it pretty easily. The way I saee it, to make it 3rd level, I'd change the (important) stats as follows: HP 48/24 bloodied, AC 19, F 19, R 16, W 16; bite +9 (1d8+5 and grabbed); constrict +7; 1d12+6 plus dazed.

Keeps it relatively as deadly as a crushgrip (which I always kind of think of as an anaconda- it's a large natural snake, after all!).

the Jester

Legend
Looking to do a 4E Isle of Dread, and I'm looking for more dinosaurs; T-Rex, Allosauris, triceratops, diplodocus, megatherium, dimetrodon, Grangeri, plesiosaurus, etc etc.

Some dinosaurs, especially aquatic ones like mosasaurs and pleisiosaurs, are personal faves. So they'll make it on- I'm actually going to add a couple to the list in a moment here (I'm just starting up 19th level!).

How about the old-skool Rakasta? Jaguar/were-jaguar?

For rakasta I'd just use tabaxi. For werejaguars- hmm, maybe sub out weretigers from MM2?

FunkBGR

Explorer
Hey Jester -

Just wanted to also say how much I appreciate your work. I've used a lot of your conversions for my home game. They're great! Keep up the good work!

the Jester

Legend
Hey Jester -

Just wanted to also say how much I appreciate your work. I've used a lot of your conversions for my home game. They're great! Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

I find that I tweak a lot of them on the fly (e.g. crimson death, some xvarts, mudmen). When I did a lot of these conversions, I think I undervalued certain abilities. But I usually try to go back and revise the posts when I do this.

I'm glad people find the conversions that I have done useful, and I am still going.

About dinosaurs- I'm only doing a few of them, the ones that I especially like that aren't already in the MM.

buddhafrog

First Post
Thanks so much for this! I'm using some of these in my first D&D gaming in over 20 years as I am trying to introduce my son and his friends to D&D (and one of my very first DM'ing as well).

Very helpful. Keep it up.

Remove ads