D&D General The most played D&D Adventure of all time

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I suppose thinking of 5e's level of success and sheer numbers, Phandelver probably ranks pretty high. But that would depend on how many of the Starter Sets sold out of 5e's big crowd, and now Phandelver and Below as well, I guess.
But I think I might still put my money on B2: Keep on the Borderlands as a contender.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I suppose thinking of 5e's level of success and sheer numbers, Phandelver probably ranks pretty high. But that would depend on how many of the Starter Sets sold out of 5e's big crowd, and now Phandelver and Below as well, I guess.
But I think I might still put my money on B2: Keep on the Borderlands as a contender.
Yeah. That's up there for me as well as one of the "most played". Though I do wonder if the sheer numbers of the current era mean it's eclipsed.

I mean, you have the Russo brothers (directors of Avengers: Endgame) saying this:

"when we want to kick back and relax, we replay the "Lost Mines of Phandelver" D & D campaign. Over and over again..."

Cheers,
Merric

ezo

I cast invisibility
Keep on the Borderlands, without a doubt.

Mainly because it has been around SO long, but also because people have run it in every edition, adapting it as necessary to the current edition. It is why Goodman Games made it the first 5E revival version.

I've run it in Basic, AD&D, 2E, 3E, and 5E. Just about every new game with new players get to go through it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ravenloft is my guess. It has a version in at least four editions of the game.
It's possible Ravenloft is one of the most-read modules but I'd really hesitate to say it's the most-played. At absolute best it's second, but now far more likely a distant third behind B2 (1st) and Phandelver (2nd).

(odd thought just occurred to me: I've never played through any of these three. The closest I've come is that I've DMed B2, once.)

Remove ads