D&D General The most played D&D Adventure of all time

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Bone Hill as written is hella deadly for raw 1st-level types. I'd usually want them to have at least one or two adventures under their belts before hitting that one, just so they've built up a level or two (maybe) and some gear (definitely).

On topic: it's a shame Bone Hill isn't even on the outermost periphery of the "most-played" discussion, as it really is IMO one of the best modules ever in terms of design, (re)playability, variety, and just plain fun.
Bone Hill has so many good features - but, unfortunately, it takes a big hit for readability with its organisation.

Cheers,
Merric

The Soloist

Adventurer
Bone Hill as written is hella deadly for raw 1st-level types. I'd usually want them to have at least one or two adventures under their belts before hitting that one, just so they've built up a level or two (maybe) and some gear (definitely).
For sure. I used the town of Restenford for levels 1-2, missions on the other side of the river.

teitan

Legend
I'd hesitate to say Phandelver. A lot of those boxes sold but how many played it? Maybe 30%? I am sure if they evergreen it it will get to Keep on the Borderlands level but unlike the Basic box, the STarter Set isn't really a "full game" and most people I know that at least started Phandelver dropped it once they got the core rules or bought them in tandem and abandoned the adventure to run their own or the current storyline when that was the emphasis at WOTC... and it really should be their emphasis because that seasonal story approach is part of why 5e became the monster it is...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd hesitate to say Phandelver. A lot of those boxes sold but how many played it? Maybe 30%? I am sure if they evergreen it it will get to Keep on the Borderlands level but unlike the Basic box, the STarter Set isn't really a "full game" and most people I know that at least started Phandelver dropped it once they got the core rules or bought them in tandem and abandoned the adventure to run their own or the current storyline when that was the emphasis at WOTC... and it really should be their emphasis because that seasonal story approach is part of why 5e became the monster it is...
I would expect the rate of bought vs. played would problem basically the same between the two of them: I haven't heard of many people dropping Lost Mines, but I have heard of people playing it multiple times. Amd hie many Basic box sets never really saw play? Quite a few Christmas presents, I'd think, suffered that fate.

Zardnaar

Legend
I would expect the rate of bought vs. played would problem basically the same between the two of them: I haven't heard of many people dropping Lost Mines, but I have heard of people playing it multiple times. Amd hie many Basic box sets never really saw play? Quite a few Christmas presents, I'd think, suffered that fate.

Another great unknown. Age might give B2 a slight advantage but it's impossible to know.

Unused gifts could apply equally to both.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
A good friend of mine (he's 70 now) was given the Moldvay box with Keep back in the day. The dice were still in the packaging! It was never used!

Cheers,
Merric

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A good friend of mine (he's 70 now) was given the Moldvay box with Keep back in the day. The dice were still in the packaging! It was never used!

Cheers,
Merric
Yeah, and that is to be expected for a certain percentage of every one of these sold. I would expect that to be a pretty similar between any Basic bix with B2 and the Lost Mines Starter Set.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Completely anecdotal uncatalogued guesses would be...
1. Keep on the Borderlands.

If not, and/or followed by...
2. The Village of Homlet(te).
3 (or I might guess the #1 slot, if Keep is wrong). Against the Giants.
4. Isle of Dread.
5. Descent to the Depths of the Earth.
6. Queen of the Demonweb Pits.
7. Tomb of Horrors.
8. Slave Pits of the Undercity.
9. White Plume Mountain.
10. mmmm....toss up between, The Lost City and Dungeonland.

Stormonu

Legend
On #6, I would think D3 - Vault would be more played that Queen of the Demonweb, unless you meant to include it with Descent. For #10, I'd probably put Ravenloft. Other than that, I would agree with your list.

Remove ads