The Most Straightforward Modern OSR Game Available?

OSR fans might find The Black Hack from David Black interesting. Based on the original edition of D&D in the 1970s, it claims to be "the most straightforward modern OSR compatible clone available". It's short - 20 half-sized pages - and is on Kickstarter right now, already funded. David has kindly sent me along an exclusive preview of the game!

OSR fans might find The Black Hack from David Black interesting. Based on the original edition of D&D in the 1970s, it claims to be "the most straightforward modern OSR compatible clone available". It's short - 20 half-sized pages - and is on Kickstarter right now, already funded. David has kindly sent me along an exclusive preview of the game!

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 20.25.24.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 20.25.45.png

You can find the Kickstarter here. If fast and streamlined is your thing, this is certainly an option. The rewards seem very generous - £1 for the PDF, or £5 for the print version - and bonus stretch goals like printed character sheets, a micro-setting, and a GMs screen have already been unlocked. Given the low buy-in, it seems like a no-brainer for fans of this style of game.

Lucas Yew

Explorer
Is this port OGL based? Had to wonder a bit after seeing my favorite "(dis)advantage" 5E term...

And will the paper copy ship overseas?

DavidBlack

First Post
Is this port OGL based? Had to wonder a bit after seeing my favorite "(dis)advantage" 5E term...

I immediately see an unclear point: is it literally "roll below", or do you mean "roll equal to or under"?

1) The KS has been set up to ship overseas, as far as I'm aware Peter (who is running the logistic side of the KS) has a very good reputation for delivering on time or early, many other backers who aren't in the UK seem to have nice things to say about him. But if you have any specific questions about shipping you should direct them to him either on G+ or over at the KS.

2) I'm not sure how its unclear - the rules say "in order to successfully test a stat - a player must roll below it."

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
2) I'm not sure how its unclear - the rules say "in order to successfully test a stat - a player must roll below it."

So you do mean it literally?

The reason it's unclear is not the text itself, but the context. You have to take into account the preconceptions readers bring with them. I think a lot of roleplayers more or less automatically will assume that a "roll low" system works on the concept of "target number or less". And with good reason: the mental gymnastics required for every roll - "okay, I have a 13 in my stat, so that actually means 12" - could get old fast.

DavidBlack

First Post

I immediately see an unclear point: is it literally "roll below", or do you mean "roll equal to or under"?

So you do mean it literally?

Yes, when I wrote "a player must roll below it" I did in fact, and in a very literal sense, intend for the player - to roll below it.

I appreciate the need to take into account peoples assumptions, but I also have to balance that against my belief that people will be able to read the rules and be bright enough to follow them as written, and as you rightly said - the wording is not unclear, so I feel I've done all I can towards this end.

jerzyab

First Post
Love the idea of using dice for tracking torches and other resources, but what is a "vturn"? How do you track time in this game?

DavidBlack

First Post
Love the idea of using dice for tracking torches and other resources, but what is a "vturn"? How do you track time in this game?

time is tracked in two abstract categories, moments (think rounds) and minutes (think turns)

moments are reserved for combat, minutes are for exploration - a gm
can also scale minutes to reflect hours, days, weeks, moths etc. all depending on the 'scale' the characters are adventuring in.

I ask my players, 'What does your character want to do for the next few minutes?' - because the reality is i don't care if it takes them 6minutes or 12 to perform an action, its all roughly the same.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Also, whats the deal on Encumbrance?
On the character sheet it reads "You can carry a number of items equal to your STR. Carrying more means ALL tests have disadvantage"
I'm imagining armor and weapons count towards that, but the rule seems to loose. If I am an archer with a 12 STR and have leather armor, a helmet and a bow, does that mean I can only carry 9 arrows. Are gold pieces counted as an item?
This seems imbalanced: 2 characters with a 12 Strength both with leather armor and a sword: 1 can carry around 10 extra great mauls, and the other can carry around
a potion,
a pair of gaming dice,
a feather
a sheet of parchment
a quill
a backup quill
an ink pot
a piece of wax
a belt pouch
and a piece of chalk
and they are equally encumbered?

Please clarify

DavidBlack

First Post
Desh-Rae-Halra The system is open enough for you to mould to your tables needs, but as written you are correct each individual object counts as 1.

because ammunition such as arrows has a Usage die its no longer necessary to count individual arrows, and therefore they can neatly take up '1 slot' of encumbrance.

Reflect on the fact that this system is not just a simulation of weight, but also the difficulty of SAFELY AND SECURELY carrying a bunch of items. 100 plastic spoons might not weigh a lot, but carrying them all in your pockets and theres a chance you might break or lose a few.

You say your example is imbalanced, like the guy who is carrying a bunch of great mauls has an advantage somehow? Seems like the guy with a backpack full of adventuring gear has the advantage, when you figure all the neat things he can do with that stuff.

Crucially however don't forget that this is a game system that tries to get rid of as many measurements and numbers as possible - converting them into broad terms that are super quick to use but still just as effective (and fun) at the table.

Remove ads

Remove ads