• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Muppets... and thank goodness

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've partly enjoyed the episodes that have aired in the UK so far, and also found parts of them uncomfortable - in particular, the concept of human/muppet sexual relationships is just too icky. But some of the humour works, and they're nicely plotted.

But what really irks me as a fan of the original is that I primarily think of the muppets as performers, and this is a show in which they don't get to perform. I want me some sketches, some skits, and yeah, even some song-and-dance routines.

This is the big issue for me too, the original was a great variety show of behind the scenes action and on stage performance that showcased the muppets in their world 'living' up to their essential purpose as performers. The new show loses the balance and also expects me to suspend disbelief enough to accept the muppets as living in the 'real world' and I can't do it:(

not to mention that this 'real' world is - as Umbran points out - a very cynical and meanspiritted one. That was my fear when they started the promotion of Kermit and Piggy's celebrity break up and is probably why I have been avoiding the show (the only reason I watched the last episode was because it's screening in the slot before Supergirl)

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
It's definitely pretty negative. I just watched the one where Fozzy gets laughs for telling jokes about his girlfriend, and that just pretty mean, which isn't Fozzy at all.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I loved the original Muppet Show and I'm enjoying the new one well enough. Then again, I really liked 30 Rock too and this version is a lot more of that sort of show than the original. I can understand people feeling that the shift is a little too much in the 30 Rock direction, but I don't think they should completely shy away from that end of things as they try to find a more broadly agreeable style.

What I'm not sure I understand is the objection to mean-spiritedness or cynicism. There was plenty of hostility between characters in the original. People made jokes about Miss Piggy, Piggy beat up on Gonzo, Sam the Eagle looked down on everyone, Piggy frequently insulted Gonzo and Scooter, Kermit was frustrated by everybody. I think maybe one difference is that behavior in the original tended to be more exaggerated and cartoonish while now it's greatest sin may be that it feels a bit more realistic, it's exaggeration is understated to blend in with the dysfunctional workplaces of modern sitcoms.

Staffan

Legend
I've partly enjoyed the episodes that have aired in the UK so far, and also found parts of them uncomfortable - in particular, the concept of human/muppet sexual relationships is just too icky. But some of the humour works, and they're nicely plotted.

But what really irks me as a fan of the original is that I primarily think of the muppets as performers, and this is a show in which they don't get to perform. I want me some sketches, some skits, and yeah, even some song-and-dance routines.

I'm a fan of the new Muppets, but I agree with you about missing the Muppets as performers. Thing is, the old Muppet Show was basically a variety show, and they don't do those anymore on TV. So essentially, they took the old Muppet characters, and placed them in a new context as people working on Up Late with Miss Piggy. I see why they did that, but it does irk me a little.

But then again, they do some performance, though in other contexts:

[video=youtube_share;VEMWyBWw0cA]http://youtu.be/VEMWyBWw0cA[/video]

MarkB

Legend
I'm a fan of the new Muppets, but I agree with you about missing the Muppets as performers. Thing is, the old Muppet Show was basically a variety show, and they don't do those anymore on TV. So essentially, they took the old Muppet characters, and placed them in a new context as people working on Up Late with Miss Piggy. I see why they did that, but it does irk me a little.

But then again, they do some performance, though in other contexts:

I've just caught up with that episode, and yeah, that scene was hilarious. In fact, I was laughing through most of the party, and it's the first episode that I've enjoyed unreservedly.

Hopefully that means they're starting to hit their stride.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Instead of staying with a formula that was successful (The Muppet Show), we get this.

Admittedly, that was a formula from 40 years ago - a formula that isn't currently used by pretty much any other show any more.

I don't mind the formula - I can see the "late show" style as being far better for these times. I do agree that they could use more more Muppet and guest performance, and I could do with a lot less cynicism in the content.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Admittedly, that was a formula from 40 years ago - a formula that isn't currently used by pretty much any other show any more.

I don't mind the formula - I can see the "late show" style as being far better for these times. I do agree that they could use more more Muppet and guest performance, and I could do with a lot less cynicism in the content.

Yeah, I have to agree. It's an old formula which stopped for a reason. Music hall song and dance shows can no longer be considered a successful formula.

This version's being made in the US, isn't it? I wonder if that makes a difference.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This version's being made in the US, isn't it?

Yes, at Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California

I wonder if that makes a difference.

I suppose it might, but I suspect it is more an artistic choice thing.

While one of the creators of the new show does have Muppet experience (on Fraggle Rock, and several other projects), it seems very much like they are taking their cues for The Muppets from Big Bang Theory, of which I am also not a fan. BBT makes many, many references to geek/nerd culture, but it does not do so lovingly. When I watch Galaxy Quest, for example, I get the idea that I'm watching a sendup of a thing made by people who love that thing. BBT does not give me that feeling.

The Muppets comes across to me similarly - The Muppets are being used to do sendup of the late-nite formula, and modern celebrity in general, but the result is disrespectful not only to the things they are sending up, but to the Muppet characters themselves.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads