The mystery of SHADOW WASP STRIKE, Ranger3 Encounter Power

Seolfor

First Post
I am certain i read a thread about this before - but since i dont have access to the search function ....

Its clear that 'SHADOW WASP STRIKE' (SWS), Ranger3 Encounter Power, is inferior to 'EVASIVE STRIKE', a Ranger1 Encounter power. Tha latter does everything that SWS does AND allows significant movement without opportunity attacks across the battlefield.

Did they intend SWS to be:

1. A 'Reliable' power
  2. A 'Minor action' power
  3. Strength v/s Reflex or
  4. Strength v/s Lowest of FORT/REFLEX/AC?
In any of the above 4 cases, the power description would then make sense at least - "You strike quickly like a shadow wasp flying out of the darkness, hitting where your foe is most vulnerable"

Last edited:

bardolph

First Post
I think the intention is for the player who wants to play a Ranger, and also wants to wield a big 2-handed weapon. Bastard Sword or Spiked Chain, anyone?

Shadow Wasp Strike gives them one more [2W] attack per encounter.

Seolfor

First Post
Shadow Wasp Strike gives them one more [2W] attack per encounter.

Got it ... but that ONE more 3rd level encounter [2W], is worse than the 1st level encounter ... WHY? Whats the benefit, thats the question?

- Does it hit more often? (It would, if it were STR v/s Ref or Fort)
- Is it quicker to use? (Minor v/s Standard action)
- Is it reliable i.e. if you miss once, try again!

It HAS to gain SOMETHING for being a level 3 encounter power of a striker class, right?

I have to believe its an errata ...

Goolpsy

First Post
Maybe the powers should have been swapped? Shadow Wasp strike looks more like a level 1 power to me, and evasive strike like a level 3...

Intesional or mistake? Only the *higher powers* know :)

bardolph

First Post
There's no rule that says that higher-level powers must be superior to lower-level ones. The Wizard Daily 1, Sleep, is arguably better than the level 5 dailies.

I actually think that many level 1 powers are a tad bit "overpowered" for their level, so that 1st level characters can have some cool stuff coming out the gate.

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
It's not just that it's weaker than a lower-level power but it's also incredibly boring. The only reason I can see for anyone to take it is if you didn't take Evasive Strike at level 1 and suddenly decide that you want a power that does 2[w] when you hit level 3.

bardolph

First Post
It's not just that it's weaker than a lower-level power but it's also incredibly boring. The only reason I can see for anyone to take it is if you didn't take Evasive Strike at level 1 and suddenly decide that you want a power that does 2[w] when you hit level 3.
How about this? I make a Spiked Chain ranger, take Evasive Strike at level 1, and when I hit level 3, it turns out that Shadow Wasp Strike is the only power I can use with my chain, so I take that, too.

Revinor

First Post
How about this? I make a Spiked Chain ranger, take Evasive Strike at level 1, and when I hit level 3, it turns out that Shadow Wasp Strike is the only power I can use with my chain, so I take that, too.

I think that you can select second low level power instead of higher level one.

Gloombunny

First Post
Maybe the powers should have been swapped? Shadow Wasp strike looks more like a level 1 power to me, and evasive strike like a level 3...

Intesional or mistake? Only the *higher powers* know :)
It's actually pretty weak for an encounter power of any level. Most encounter powers do 2[W] + attribute with a cookie of some sort, or 1[W] + attribute if the cookie is really good. Shadow Wasp is 2[W] + attribute with no cookie and even a slight targeting restriction! Wtf?

Remove ads