• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Nature of the Universe

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
fuindordm said:
Here's a mind-boggler for you: if the universe is expanding, then what is it expanding into?

Here's the one to really snap brains (or branes, as the case may be) - it can be expanding without expanding "into" anything. The idea that there must be some form of "superspace" in which the Universe sits is an artifact of our normal experience with our usual 3 dimensional space. That superspace is not required by the physics or mathematics involved.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Umbran said:
Here's the one to really snap brains (or branes, as the case may be) - it can be expanding without expanding "into" anything. The idea that there must be some form of "superspace" in which the Universe sits is an artifact of our normal experience with our usual 3 dimensional space. That superspace is not required by the physics or mathematics involved.
I am not sure if I agree with Superspace theory.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Umbran said:

I agree, but this is one of the most difficult things I've ever had to explain to non-scientists. It goes hand-in-hand with the question "If the universe is curved, what is it curving into?" WIthout recourse to differential geometry and number theory, I really don't know how to make the skeptical layperson comfortable with the idea of expanding, infinite, curved spaces.

(Of course, the current cosmological model favors a flat universe.)

The question of what lies 'outside' is not one that can be answered easily when your cosmological theory doesn't include the concept, and you have no hope of ever observing it directly. It's not part of the standard model, but that doesn't prevent physicists from theorizing about it. This is another itch that the superstring/brane theories can scratch for us if our imaginations aren't satisfied with contemplating the observable.

Ben

Umbran said:
I was commenting on the reporting about the release. Science news reporting is generally done poorly. And it won't improve unless someone speaks up.
Errr... his posting a "hey, guys, look at this!" link on a messageboard dedicated to D&D probably doesn't really fall under the aegis of science news reporting.

the Jester

Legend
I love cosmoology and discussions about it. :lol:

I had not previously heard the theory that another phase change awaits the universe. It is very thought-provoking- what the heck would happen? And how much time do they predict will pass before it happens? Heck, can they even make predictions?

Black Omega

First Post
At the moment, I'm reading about the Big Rip theory and the suggestion that the universe not only keeps expanding but the expansion keeps accelerating until it's ripped apart. Impossible to prove any of these theories but they are interesting.

CarlZog

Explorer
What's the nature of the Universe?

I don't think it's that a big mystery to most people. I mean I've only met him in person once, at GenCon, but based on that and on the nature of most of his posts, it seems obvious he's a pretty good guy. Outgoing, creative, friendly, pretty funny.

I'm sure QueenD could explain the nature of the Universe in more detail, but in general I think you'd have to look pretty hard to find many people who would vary widely from my view.

Carl

P.S. Sorry.... Couldn't resist.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads