The Nerfing of the Bladesinger

Ranger REG

Explorer
I don't know. Maybe they should have, but then again, using a ranged weapon to deliver a spell from beyond their known range makes for a very powerful class.

Shallown

First Post
The Bladesinger in the group I run couldn't use the new Complete Warrior PrC. Mainly becuase he was a monte bard and a fighter. Advancing in casting level would have completely screwed him over and made him near useless for a 12th level character. What I did use is the change to limiting his Int based on level (Which had no effect on him since his level exceeded his bonus but for future reference). I also limited his Song of celerity to 2nd level (And then 4th when he gets to that level as per the CW BladeS) but once per day didn't get it for me so I made it 1 + Int mod times a day and limited to his blade singer spell list again. This I think for me will work out better.

I think the Bladesinger in CW is okay the way it is if you started after getting the book. I think you could design a character from the ground up to make the class work well, Role playing and mechanics wise. Maybe it needs to be able to use the Song ability more often, like I have granted but that is a matter of opinion.

Durifern

First Post
I have to agree with Shallown.
Song of Celerity once a day is a bit weak.
Spell progression every other level makes the Bladesinger weaker if you compare max spell level and spells per day but on the other hand if you start out as a wizard2/fighter4 for example you´re at the end of your Bladesinger career a full fledged wiz7 and you´re able to take some more levels of wizard, so you´re able to cast 4th level spells and you have a wide spectrum of spells rather than just a small list. I really like that.

The Souljourner

First Post
I think the song of celerity has been way too far nerfed. Anything which is once per day is useless, unless it lasts an entire fight. If it were one spell per class level that only affects the bladesinger, that would make it useful, but not overpowered.

As it is, it's a worthless (or nearly so) ability.

-The Souljourner

LordAO

First Post
I agree Song of Celerity is too weak with a times/day limit. Arcane Archers get the ability to "Quicken" spells unlimited times with their Imbue Arrow ability, so why shouldn't the Bladesinger?

As far as the caster level thing, I really like it the way it is in CW. But I can see why some people would want to use the Bladseinger spells instead. So why not simply let your players pick which one they want to use?

Weiley31

Legend
Best version of the 3E/3.5 Bladesinger is to take the Complete Warrior's Bladesinger Spell List but use the Races of Faerun's version's abilities.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
I broadly dislike this trend of making classes not feel good in early levels to deal with a busted multiclass system that is supposed to be completely optional.
It’s been a while, but I’m pretty sure multiclassing was a core system assumption of 3E. Certainly with regards to the Bladesinger, given that it was a prestige class.

Not going to deny that it was busted, though.

Remove ads