The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

Jhaelen

First Post
I think it's missing robots. At the very least they should have included laser-mounted cyber-dinosaurs.

Edit: I like the artwork, though.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Ugh!

So, it's Acererak...but not really...and the tomb of horrors...but not really...set on the isle of dread...but not really...with an epic plot to unleash undeath upon the world...but not really...where the PC's will have to take him out...but not really...or the world is doooooomed! (but not really) Got it.

:yawn:

Like EVERYTHING PUT OUT FOR 5e AFTER THE PHB/MM/DMG, I'll be passing. Wake me when WotC puts out something new that doesn't involve any name-dropping or "re-imagining" of something of note from AD&D/BECMI's past.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

GarrettKP

Explorer
Hiya.

Ugh!

So, it's Acererak...but not really...and the tomb of horrors...but not really...set on the isle of dread...but not really...with an epic plot to unleash undeath upon the world...but not really...where the PC's will have to take him out...but not really...or the world is doooooomed! (but not really) Got it.

:yawn:

Like EVERYTHING PUT OUT FOR 5e AFTER THE PHB/MM/DMG, I'll be passing. Wake me when WotC puts out something new that doesn't involve any name-dropping or "re-imagining" of something of note from AD&D/BECMI's past.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

No where did WotC claim this adventure included the Tomb of Horrors, or the Isle of Dread, or that the "epic plot" was to unleash undeath upon the world. Hell they never even said the PCs have to "take him out" or the world would be doomed. Everything you mentioned was your or someone else's unfounded assumptions.

The only thing they promised was Acererak was behind the bad stuff and you would be fighting Zombies and Dinosaurs and Zombie Dinosaurs and exploring the jungle. And so far it seems all of that will be the case.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

No where did WotC claim this adventure included the Tomb of Horrors, or the Isle of Dread, or that the "epic plot" was to unleash undeath upon the world. Hell they never even said the PCs have to "take him out" or the world would be doomed. Everything you mentioned was your or someone else's unfounded assumptions.

You know what? You are absolutely correct. I am making assumptions, and I (as well as others) could be waaaaay off the mark. I hope I am! Really, I do!

The only thing they promised was Acererak was behind the bad stuff and you would be fighting Zombies and Dinosaurs and Zombie Dinosaurs and exploring the jungle. And so far it seems all of that will be the case.

Then why call it "Tome of Annihilation" and put the most iconic image from the Tomb of Horrors as the first thing in your face for the "live stream"? Why use a world-specific (Greyhawk) name (Acererak) linked with such an iconic dungeon (Tomb of Horrors) for an adve...er..."group-choose-your-own-adventure"...that is not going to be set on said world, nor in the dungeon, nor with the actual bad guy whose namesake was in it?

"An ancient evil, long thought contained, has managed to retrieve an artifact from some other world. With this artifact's power growing every week, the dead are rising from their grave on their own! Resurrection magic is no longer working, and who knows how long it will be before even healing magic is useless? Can your band of brave adventurers discover who, or what, is behind this? Can your heroes brave the fetid swamps, steaming jungles, and cannibal-haunted jungles to stop it in time?" <-- THAT would have been infinitely better and I just pulled that out of my donkey.

But, alas, I am obviously not the target audience of WotC anymore. I was when they were putting out the PHB, DMG and MM, but not anymore. Too bad. I was really looking forward to spending cash on D&D stuff again. :(

GarrettKP

Explorer
Hiya!

You know what? You are absolutely correct. I am making assumptions, and I (as well as others) could be waaaaay off the mark. I hope I am! Really, I do!

Then why call it "Tome of Annihilation" and put the most iconic image from the Tomb of Horrors as the first thing in your face for the "live stream"? Why use a world-specific (Greyhawk) name (Acererak) linked with such an iconic dungeon (Tomb of Horrors) for an adve...er..."group-choose-your-own-adventure"...that is not going to be set on said world, nor in the dungeon, nor with the actual bad guy whose namesake was in it?

"An ancient evil, long thought contained, has managed to retrieve an artifact from some other world. With this artifact's power growing every week, the dead are rising from their grave on their own! Resurrection magic is no longer working, and who knows how long it will be before even healing magic is useless? Can your band of brave adventurers discover who, or what, is behind this? Can your heroes brave the fetid swamps, steaming jungles, and cannibal-haunted jungles to stop it in time?" <-- THAT would have been infinitely better and I just pulled that out of my donkey.

But, alas, I am obviously not the target audience of WotC anymore. I was when they were putting out the PHB, DMG and MM, but not anymore. Too bad. I was really looking forward to spending cash on D&D stuff again. :(

Again more assumptions. Acererak will be in the adventure. Chris Perkins confirmed this. That does not mean they expect you to fight him (hell you didn't even fight him in the Tomb of Horrors). In an interview with Dungeon Life, Perkins confirmed not only that Acererak will be in the book, but that he isn't the main villain. Instead a certain "thing" he is creating is the villain. And he said while navigating the Tomb of Annihilation you will see things from all the worlds Acererak has traversed.

So I really do not see the issue here. Acererak is a plane hopper that is doing bad stuff, go stop him. That is the basic idea here.

DM Howard

Explorer
I'm interested in the board games. I might have been interested in the Dungeon Set as well, but WizKids can't just sell that, they have to make it an incentive for their terrible (personal opinion) randomized miniatures model. Oh well.

Remove ads

Remove ads