The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
This, this bothers me.

I have a vast respect for a well-prepared and clever lich. I've often told my players that if I ever wanted to TPK a party legitimately, even at level 20, that is what I'd pit them against.

Acerak, from what I know, is one of the most famous and powerful liches in the game. And we're supposed to beat him at level 11? Even the MM lists him as a CR 23 within his lair.

So, either the players are supposed to get some ridiculous magical gear, or weaken him somehow so that they can actually fight him... which really is a drag.

Why not make it a LV 5-15 or even (gasp) go all the way up to level 20?

This is an epic adventure just from descriptions, and I might still try and get a copy to steal things from, but ending at level 11 just feels like you're going to break his stuff while he's away and everything will get sucked into a dimensional portal, cause a level 11 party is not going toe-to-toe with a Lich and having any realistic chance at victory.

I share these concerns.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
This, this bothers me.

I have a vast respect for a well-prepared and clever lich. I've often told my players that if I ever wanted to TPK a party legitimately, even at level 20, that is what I'd pit them against.

Acerak, from what I know, is one of the most famous and powerful liches in the game. And we're supposed to beat him at level 11? Even the MM lists him as a CR 23 within his lair.

So, either the players are supposed to get some ridiculous magical gear, or weaken him somehow so that they can actually fight him... which really is a drag.

Why not make it a LV 5-15 or even (gasp) go all the way up to level 20?

This is an epic adventure just from descriptions, and I might still try and get a copy to steal things from, but ending at level 11 just feels like you're going to break his stuff while he's away and everything will get sucked into a dimensional portal, cause a level 11 party is not going toe-to-toe with a Lich and having any realistic chance at victory.

I seriously doubt that players will actually face Acererak. More likely, they'll just be thwarting his nefarious scheme and putting the blade to his underlings.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I seriously doubt that players will actually face Acererak. More likely, they'll just be thwarting his nefarious scheme and putting the blade to his underlings.

Exactly, and yet there will be mini's of Acerak, he's featured prominently on the cover, players will be told it is his scheme they are thwarting, they will go to his stronghold...

And either

1) they will never see him in person making all of that build up more than a little disappointing

2) he will be seriously gimped by whatever they do earlier in the adventure

I find neither option appealing

werecorpse

Adventurer
Yes of course! Well spotted Chaosmancer.

The party will face Mini Acereraks.

: )

Edit: actually in he original ToH there was a false Acererak so this Lich has form for using fake news undead.

Liches are high Challenge. But like a lot of Monster Manual foes, they're low in terms of hp and damage for their CR. Liches are glass canons. PCs can easily drop one in terms of DPR at level 10 or 11.

I'd love for the intro to the adventure to make no mention of Acererak's past as a demi-lich. And then, at the end, for the PCs to damage his phylactery or otherwise make it impossible for him to feed it souls, thus forcing him to become a demi-lich and revealing that ToA is actually a stealth prequel to Tomb of Horrors. ;)

werecorpse

Adventurer
I'd love for the intro to the adventure to make no mention of Acererak's past as a demi-lich. And then, at the end, for the PCs to damage his phylactery or otherwise make it impossible for him to feed it souls, thus forcing him to become a demi-lich and revealing that ToA is actually a stealth prequel to Tomb of Horrors. ;)

At the end of the adventure he could maybe use planar & time travel to limp away and escape the PC's and send his Demi-lich ToH back to 1978 greyhawk.

briggart

Adventurer
Perkins discussed a little bit the role of Acererak in Tomb of Annihilation in his Dungeon Life interview.

Basically he said that, like in the original ToH, the characters are not going up against Acererak directly, rather against something he created, the new (?) tomb. He discussed a bit how to actually give a dungeon its own 'personality' and flavor, and how to get the PCs feel that their going up against the tomb itself. He added that if the PCs manage to annoy Acererak too much, he will take a more direct interest in them, but it seems for the most part he's going to sit in the background.

Don't know, but I king of get the feeling that this is not supposed to be the last we see of Acererak.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Storm King's Thunder suffered greatly from lacking a central villain -- that and the fact that the Storm King himself isn't mentioned until halfway through the adventure. I hope they don't make that mistake again. If an adventure is called Tomb of Annihilation and Acererak is on the cover, then the tomb and Acererak need to be present from the first or second session. That's what makes Curse of Strahd so successful: the villain is ever-present, and Castle Ravenloft is looming over everything. From the first or second session, the players know exactly what they need to do, but not how to do it.

Based on the interviews I've seen with Chris Perkins, I think other posters might be right that Acererak doesn't have a strong presence in Tomb of Annihilation. His machinations might set the plot in motion (with the death curse), but I won't be surprised if he is just one of many threats, or if the curse he sets in motion becomes a greater menace than he is himself. Either way, Chris seems to downplay Acererak's role in the adventure. Speaking of Tomb of Horrors, he emphasized that it was the dungeon itself that was the greatest menace, not Acererak himself. It sounds like the same will hold true for Annihilation. It's the environment (and, presumably, the Soulmonger, whatever that turns out to be) that poses the greatest threat.

It absolutely does. It's simply not what they say that matters, but what they do
Which doesn'T change what is actually happening.

Yes, officially the setting is the multiverse. Yes, there have been reference to it everywhere. But that's all there is. WotC has in practice done 87% FR, 13% Ravenloft and that's it. If we're generous we could count the smatterings of mentionings of other settings as another 1%, then we're at 86% FR, 13% RL, 1% others
But there is nothing else. That's his point.
In practice it is, because almost everything that WotC releases is FR. They say that the mutliverse is the default, but theyre all but exclusively use the FR corner of it.

And I ask, how does that affect the default? Even if nothing but the 3 core books made any reference to anything outside of Faerun, it still would not meet the definition of default unless it, you know, met the definition of default. I didn't give the definition, I'm just agreeing with it.

The PHB provides examples of character creation that are from campaign settings other than the multiverse. If someone only had only read and been exposed to the core game books, and you told them that the Forgotten Realms were the default setting, they would ask how in the world you got that, since the books quite clearly disagree.

Fact is, if you aren't stating a particular setting, WotC (and by extension, any reasonable person playing 5E) can safely assume you're in the Forgotten Realms/Sword Coast.

If you aren't stating a particular setting in what context? A group of new D&D players who just picked up the PHB, DMG, and MM and are starting a game? Because that is the default of D&D.

Forgotten Realms, whether we like it or not, IS the default D&D setting when it comes to WotC published products. It's where they game, it's where every adventure they publish at least starts, it is the focus of every single example used (even when the "multiverse" is mentioned).

It's the setting they publish most supplements in, so I suppose you could say it's the default supplement setting. But that doesn't make it the default D&D setting. And as far as the designers at WotC...you'd probably be surprised what they use for their home games.

It's also factually incorrect to say that it is the focus of every example used. Here is what is in the books:
"Orb of Dragonkind, wondrous item, artifact (requires attunement): Ages past, on the world of Krynn..." -DMG p.225

It goes on to fill over a columns worth of text on a Dragonlance item with no mention of the Forgotten Realms anywhere. I just picked that one because its the first that came to mind. And of course there is Tika and Artemis in the Backgrounds chapter in the PHB, where Tika (Dragonlance) gets just as much focus as Artemis (Forgotten Realms).

The sky is blue, water is wet, FR is D&D's current default setting, d10 is not a polyhedron, liquids and cats change shape to fill their containers... These are things only the mentally ill argue against.
I ain't even mad that that is the case, I just hate seeing the company constantly denying something any sane person can see with their own eyes.
I'm sorry, but there's no way you can convince me otherwise but if you feel like beating the corpse of this horse than by all means, have your last word and enjoy :D

I've made a factual argument, using an agreed upon definition of the term default. I've provide the actual text in question. And what I'm seeing in response are a shifting the goalpost fallacy.

Since we all seem to be reasonable people, perhaps we are arguing from a different set of assumptions.

Would you disagree that the core rulebooks set the D&D defaults?

Remove ads

Remove ads