D&D 5E The New D&D Book: Candlekeep Mysteries: 17 Mystery Adventures [UPDATED!]

The cover of the upcoming D&D book has been revealed! Candlekeep Mysteries is an anthology of 17 mystery-themed adventures for character levels 1-16. The image has appeared on Penguin Random House's product page for the book. UPDATE! Penguin's product page appears to have now vanished, but we now have the product description! Thanks to @Fezzwick for spotting that! An anthology of...

The cover of the upcoming D&D book has been revealed! Candlekeep Mysteries is an anthology of 17 mystery-themed adventures for character levels 1-16.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.35.34 PM.png

The image has appeared on Penguin Random House's product page for the book.

UPDATE! Penguin's product page appears to have now vanished, but we now have the product description! Thanks to @Fezzwick for spotting that!

An anthology of seventeen mystery-themed adventures for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Candlekeep attracts scholars like a flame attracts moths. Historians, sages, and others who crave knowledge flock to this library fortress to peruse its vast collection of books, scribbled into which are the answers to the mysteries that bedevil them. Many of these books contain their own mysteries ̶—each one a doorway to adventure. Dare you cross that threshold?

· 17 mystery-themed D&D adventures, each tied to a book discovered in the famed library fortress of Candlekeep
· Easy to run as stand-alone mini adventures or to drop into your home campaign
· Adventures span play from levels 1 to 16
· Includes a full poster map of Candlekeep, plus detailed descriptions of the various locations, characters, and creatures that reside within it
· Introduces a variety of Dungeons & Dragons monsters, items, and non-player characters (NPCs)

Candlekeep Mysteries is a collection of seventeen short, stand-alone D&D adventures designed for characters of levels 1–16. Each adventure begins with the discovery of a book, and each book is the key to a door behind which danger and glory await. These adventures can be run as one-shot games, plugged into an existing Forgotten Realms campaign, or adapted for other campaign settings. This book also includes a poster map of the library fortress and detailed descriptions of Candlekeep and its inhabitants.

There have been mentions of an upcoming adventure anthology since 2019, with Kate Welch's name attached, along with other celebrity adventure writers including Critical Role's Marisha Ray, and actor Deborah Ann Woll. There were also suggestions that the authors might all be women. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
People raged about dungeon magazine bring canned and lamented it’s loss because it had short 10-16 page adventures, easily fitting into a campaign, and giving an opportunity to new talent...

...We had a thread a couple of months back, inspired by a top tier designer. How poorly new designers were treated by big firms and how hard it is to break into the industry...

...Along comes an anthology by up and coming designers by the largest RPG company in the world... chorus of “I’m not buying that”.

You know what? I’m not planning on buying a Gucci handbag but I don’t crow about it on the internet.
A lot of people said that because d
Wotc still isn't ready to give up the death grip that FR has on everything they publish

This has made me to remember there is RPG "Hardboiled" about investigations, by the Spanish publisher "La Marca del Este". And time ago TSR published "gang-busters", didn't it? And I had forgoten the children books about little investigators, for example the famous five, the five find-outers, Alfred Hitckos and the three investigators, or the TV serie "the adventures of Shirley Holmes". I mean thys type of mistery stories have to be different, not only to avoid mature content, but also children detective can't use expensive technology to search clues.

And I am afair an investigation game may be too railroad. It is not easy to continue when the PCs don't find those necessary clues.

I guess here WotC's goal is to get more experience about mistery modules, because later these will be neccesary when Ravenloft had got its revival.

* Now FR is the most powerful D&D brand, and I guess because thanks those smash-hits videogames. We could bet if a no-FR videogame also is a superhit, then that world also will come back to the printers.

Any short adventure is going to be a railroad.

The element of choice comes in:

a) The party can decline the case;

b) The party can fail to solve the case.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I'm really excited for this, as I find these type of adventures more difficult to create than dungeon crawls, also as I DM PF2E the fact that adventures that aren't so crunch heavy are easier to convert, it should make it fairly easy for me to drop them into my campaign.

👍

People raged about dungeon magazine bring canned and lamented it’s loss because it had short 10-16 page adventures, easily fitting into a campaign, and giving an opportunity to new talent...

...We had a thread a couple of months back, inspired by a top tier designer. How poorly new designers were treated by big firms and how hard it is to break into the industry...

...Along comes an anthology by up and coming designers by the largest RPG company in the world... chorus of “I’m not buying that”.
I'm buying it. It's just the sort of thing I can use.
You know what? I’m not planning on buying a Gucci handbag but I don’t crow about it on the internet.
Too late, you just did! :p

Not particularly excited about this. I already have tons of premade adventures and can easily make my own. Just like I have more than enough monsters to run entire campaigns without the players encountering the same monster twice.
I really would love to see some other settings, though.
I don't follow the logic in that. You can get through lots of adventures and monsters, but you only need one setting.

akr71

Hero
I have seen a few comments that new players or younger players may have trouble with a 'mystery' adventure. Not all WotC publications are geared toward new players - 5E is entering year 7 (I think ... haven't finished my coffee yet). Nor should they be. Even WotC has said that level 5-10 is the sweet spot, so even experienced players start over at level 1 every now and again.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Color me intrigued! Like others, I hope it's all new content not rehashed stuff. 'Mystery-themed' is broad enough, guessing the adventures were designed more with focus on the exploration and social interaction pillars of the game?

On top of that, will likely be $30 on DDB, so I'll be getting 17 shorter adventures for around $2.25 CAD each which is cheaper than Dmsguild!
Sweet GIF by swerk

Remove ads

Remove ads