D&D 5E The New D&D Book: Candlekeep Mysteries: 17 Mystery Adventures [UPDATED!]

The cover of the upcoming D&D book has been revealed! Candlekeep Mysteries is an anthology of 17 mystery-themed adventures for character levels 1-16.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.35.34 PM.png

The image has appeared on Penguin Random House's product page for the book.

UPDATE! Penguin's product page appears to have now vanished, but we now have the product description! Thanks to @Fezzwick for spotting that!

An anthology of seventeen mystery-themed adventures for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Candlekeep attracts scholars like a flame attracts moths. Historians, sages, and others who crave knowledge flock to this library fortress to peruse its vast collection of books, scribbled into which are the answers to the mysteries that bedevil them. Many of these books contain their own mysteries ̶—each one a doorway to adventure. Dare you cross that threshold?

· 17 mystery-themed D&D adventures, each tied to a book discovered in the famed library fortress of Candlekeep
· Easy to run as stand-alone mini adventures or to drop into your home campaign
· Adventures span play from levels 1 to 16
· Includes a full poster map of Candlekeep, plus detailed descriptions of the various locations, characters, and creatures that reside within it
· Introduces a variety of Dungeons & Dragons monsters, items, and non-player characters (NPCs)

Candlekeep Mysteries is a collection of seventeen short, stand-alone D&D adventures designed for characters of levels 1–16. Each adventure begins with the discovery of a book, and each book is the key to a door behind which danger and glory await. These adventures can be run as one-shot games, plugged into an existing Forgotten Realms campaign, or adapted for other campaign settings. This book also includes a poster map of the library fortress and detailed descriptions of Candlekeep and its inhabitants.

There have been mentions of an upcoming adventure anthology since 2019, with Kate Welch's name attached, along with other celebrity adventure writers including Critical Role's Marisha Ray, and actor Deborah Ann Woll. There were also suggestions that the authors might all be women. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow!

Last edited:

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I actually liked the concept of Name of the Rose. So a DND themed version with an NPC monk/cleric that sounds like discount Sean Connery seems like a fun idea to me.
There's certainly precedent for discount Welsh and Scottish accents in D&D.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Once the cleric of our party cast speak with dead on a victim, and when he asked "who killed you?" the corpse said "you". She was killed by a doppelganger that had taken the PC's semblance. City guard was present during the casting, so good times were had by all :D
I also point out that the corpse doesn't have to tell the truth, AND the bad guy could have cast speak with dead within 10 days, wherefore you would get no replay.

enworld01.png

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Or if you want to get really dark... must still have a mouth ugh.

Or if you want to get really dark... must still have a mouth ugh.

Using magic would make solving mysteries much easier if the criminals didn’t have access or knowledge of magic. But I have to imagine that intelligent criminals know how to cover-up their crimes. Destroying a mouth is like wiping fingerprints. Assassins attack from hidden or use disguises. Soul knives are hired. Patsies are manipulated. It takes some thought to see the opposite perspective, but a world with history would probably involve a magic arms race become law enforcement and criminals.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
The more I think about this the more I’m excited for it.
Among other things, I’m interested in the idea of some high level one shots.
Me too. I was pretty sure I was going to pass on getting this, but when I think about the exploration of the Keep and short adventures centered around a book, that would be great for using for a new group of people unfamiliar with the game that I have been meaning to bring on board. A bunch of short adventures that are not combat-based and that are easy to prep for would be great for me for this group.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Interesting for sure. We'll see what the adventures look like in a couple months.......until then, I'm not sure how people can come to any conclusions about how good or bad they are.....

plisnithus8

Adventurer
So, yes, there will be alternate cover, and, no, this doesn’t seem to be Kate Welshman, Marisha Rey, and Deborah Ann Wohl’s book.

“Introducing #Candlekeep Mysteries, the latest adventure anthology in the Forgotten Realms setting! Explore this collection of new mysteries by up-and-coming D&D designers from across our community. These short adventures arrive March 16!

Pre-order now: Candlekeep Mysteries | Dungeons & Dragons

Covers by Clint Cearley (Standard) and Simen Meyer (Alt).

Designers include:
• Graeme Barber
• Toni Winslow-Brill
• Kelly Lynne D’angelo
• Alison Huang
• Mark Hulmes
• Jennifer Kretchmer
• Daniel Kwan
• Adam Lee
• Ari Levitch
• Amy Vorpahl
• Sarah Madsen
• Brades Stoddard
• Michael Polkinghorn
• Kienna Shaw
• Hannah Rose
• Derek Ruiz
• Taymoor Rehman
• Christopher Perkins
• Chris Lindsay”

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, yes, there will be alternate cover, and, no, this doesn’t seem to be Kate Welshman, Marisha Rey, and Deborah Ann Wohl’s book.

“Introducing #Candlekeep Mysteries, the latest adventure anthology in the Forgotten Realms setting! Explore this collection of new mysteries by up-and-coming D&D designers from across our community. These short adventures arrive March 16!

Pre-order now: Candlekeep Mysteries | Dungeons & Dragons

Covers by Clint Cearley (Standard) and Simen Meyer (Alt).

Designers include:
• Graeme Barber
• Toni Winslow-Brill
• Kelly Lynne D’angelo
• Alison Huang
• Mark Hulmes
• Jennifer Kretchmer
• Daniel Kwan
• Adam Lee
• Ari Levitch
• Amy Vorpahl
• Sarah Madsen
• Brades Stoddard
• Michael Polkinghorn
• Kienna Shaw
• Hannah Rose
• Derek Ruiz
• Taymoor Rehman
• Christopher Perkins
• Chris Lindsay”

Very interesting and diverse group of writers, actually.

The alt cover is more tempting than usual, compared to the standard.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases