The New D&D Book Is Called "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" [UPDATED!]

It seems those who suggested that the upcoming 'nautical themed' book was based on the old Saltmarsh trilogy were correct. Ghosts of Saltmarsh is the new book, with a release date of May 21st, 2019. UPDATED WITH NEW INFORMATION ON ALT COVER & RELEASE DATES!

saltmarsh.jpg

Explore the waves above and the fathoms below in these watery adventures for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

“D&D acolytes are everywhere...Tech workers from Silicon Valley to Brooklyn have long-running campaigns, and the showrunners and the novelist behind ‘Game of Thrones’ have all been Dungeon Masters.”—Neima Jahromi, The New Yorker

Ghosts of Saltmarsh brings classic adventures into fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons. This adventure book combines some of the most popular classic adventures from the first edition of Dungeons & Dragons including the classic “U” series, plus some of the best nautical adventures from the history of Dungeon Magazine: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater, Salvage Operation, Isle of the Abbey, The Final Enemy, Tammeraut’s Fate, The Styes.

• Ghosts of Salt Marsh includes a variety of seafaring adventures, enough to take characters from level 1 to level 12.

• This supplement introduces the port town of Saltmarsh, the perfect starting point for a nautical campaign.

• Each adventure can be played individually, inserted into your ongoing game or combined into a single epic nautical campaign.

• Dungeon Masters will find rules for ships and sea travel, deck plans for various vessels, an appendix with rules for new and classic monsters, and much more.

• Dungeons & Dragons is the world’s greatest roleplaying game. Created in 1974, D&D transformed gaming culture by blending traditional fantasy with miniatures and wargaming.

It's already on Amazon.

[video=youtube;GajoKmh9-68]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GajoKmh9-68[/video]

Updates!
WotC has just announced the book. Full press release below, but a couple of key points:
  • There's an alternate cover (below)
  • Preferred stores and regular stores get it on the same date, instead of WPN stores getting it early

Sail the Seas in Dungeons & Dragons with Ghosts of Saltmarsh Adventure Releasing Everywhere May 21

Renton, WA – February 25, 2019 – Dungeons & Dragons is excited to announce a new adventure book called Ghosts of Saltmarsh, which takes classic sea-faring adventures and updates and expands upon them for use with D&D fifth edition. The book details the port town of Saltmarsh and the surrounding lands players can explore using their own ship and the vehicle mechanics included in the 256-page book. Unravel sinister secrets of the sea with Ghosts of Saltmarsh releasing in game stores, digitally and everywhere on May 21, 2019. An alternate art cover with a distinctive design and soft-touch finish is available exclusively in game stores on May 21.

“The Saltmarsh series consistently ranks as one of the most popular classic D&D adventures,” said Mike Mearls, franchise creative director of D&D. “With its ties to ocean-based adventuring, it was an obvious step to augment it with additional sea-based adventures and a robust set of rules for managing a nautical campaign.”

The book includes details on the port town of Saltmarsh, as well as plenty of adventure hooks for each chapter. Fans can play through the whole story in a seafaring campaign leading characters from level 1 through level 12, while Dungeon Masters can easily pull out sections to place in ongoing campaigns in any setting. The appendices cover mechanics for ship-to-ship combat, new magic items, monsters and more!

Ghosts of Saltmarsh will be available both in game stores and everywhere else on the same date – May 21st. Fans are encouraged to pick up the adventure in the way that’s most convenient for them, but there is an alternate art soft-touch cover that will only be available in game stores. The alternate cover image was created by N. C. Winters and features a snarling sahuagin.

For more information on Ghosts of Saltmarsh and all things D&D, please go to dungeonsanddragons.com and check out the breadth of live D&D programming and interviews available on twitch.tv/dnd. You can also listen to interviews involving Ghosts of Saltmarsh as well as D&D mechanics and lore on Dragon Talk, the official D&D podcast.

Ghosts of Saltmarsh combines some of the most popular classic adventures from the first edition of Dungeons & Dragons including the classic ‘U’ series, plus some of the best nautical adventures from the history of DungeonMagazine:

• The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
  • Danger at Dunwater
  • The Final Enemy
  • Salvage Operation
  • Isle of the Abbey
  • Tammeraut’s Fate
  • The Styes
All adventures have been faithfully adapted to the fifth edition rules of Dungeons & Dragons. Furthermore, this book includes details on the port town of Saltmarsh, as well as plenty of adventure hooks for each chapter. Play through the whole story in a seafaring campaign leading characters from level 1 through level 12, or Dungeon Masters can easily pull out sections to place in ongoing campaigns in any setting. The appendices also cover mechanics for ship-to-ship combat, new magic items, monsters, and more!
[h=3]WHERE CAN I BUY IT?[/h]Unravel sinister secrets of the sea with Ghosts of Saltmarsh releasing in game stores, digitally and everywhere on May 21, 2019. An alternate art cover with a distinctive design and soft-touch finish is available exclusively in game stores on May 21.

Price:[FONT=&amp] $49.95 [/FONT]
Release Date: [FONT=&amp]21 May, 2019 [/FONT]
Format:[FONT=&amp] Hardcover

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
saltmarsh_alt.jpg

saltmarsh_keyart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

R_J_K75

Legend
I suspect it's more like a very small number of posters making a lot of noise...

(Quite frankly, there is good reason FR overtook Greyhawk in popularity).

Its all the Drows fault. But honestly I dont see what edition you are playing has any bearing on what setting you play your campaign in. If you like Greyhawk, Mystara, Birthright or Darksun, chances are you have a some old source material. Doesnt take much to do some conversion or ad hoc on the fly. Im currently running an Undermountain campaign and after reading about 3 rooms from the new DotMM, I stopped reading and just made up my own adventure as I go along. Heck except for character advancement I dont even know what edition were playing anymore, nor do I care or bother to look up rules. I just make sure Im fair and keep the game moving along. My players dont seem to mind.

oreofox

Explorer
I suspect it's more like a very small number of posters making a lot of noise...

(Quite frankly, there is good reason FR overtook Greyhawk in popularity).

That's what happens when you place practically every video game in FR. And I saw more FR novels than nearly any other setting, except maybe Dragonlance. And that setting went downhill after Dragons of Summer Flame.
[MENTION=6801060]Demetrios1453[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION] : I didn't read any of the monster lore because as I stated, they were useless to me as I have my own lore for my own setting. And I figured they were FR focused since EVERY other book released has been (adventures minus Strahd, SCAG). Giving them names of Greyhawk characters really means nothing. So I made a mistake, but like I said, I didn't read the lore because it's rather useless to me. It's good to know it isn't FR focused, though.

Schmoe

Adventurer
I love that they are tapping into old Dungeon adventures. That magazine was one of the highlights of the 3e era to me. There are so many great adventures to be found in it's pages. The Styes is a particularly awesome choice. :)

R_J_K75

Legend
That's what happens when you place practically every video game in FR...

To me thats comparing different media, a TTRPG vs. a video game vs. a movie or novel isnt the same. For the most part a movie, novel or video game are linear, you have no control where it goes or how it ends, (unless its the 80s clue movie or a choose your own adventure). With a TTRPG its a collective story, where you can control where its set, the story and the ending.

R_J_K75

Legend
That's what happens when you place practically every video game in FR...

To me thats comparing different media, a TTRPG vs. a video game vs. a movie or novel isnt the same. For the most part a movie, novel or video game are linear, you have no control where it goes or how it ends, (unless its the 80s clue movie or a choose your own adventure). With a TTRPG its a collective story, where you can control where its set, the story and the ending.

werecorpse

Adventurer
The Styes is set in a port town. I wonder if it will be in Saltmarsh or if the book will give two towns along the coast?

also is the order of adventures as stated ?
Or will it be
U1
isle of abbey
U2
etc?

That's what happens when you place practically every video game in FR. And I saw more FR novels than nearly any other setting, except maybe Dragonlance. And that setting went downhill after Dragons of Summer Flame.

Certainly successful computer games and novels where what initially propelled FR past Greyhawk, but that raises additional questions: Why did SSI choose FR for the Gold Box games? Why was the breakthrough D&D novel (The Crystal Shard) set in FR?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases